Can men and women maintain a platonic relationship?

Options

Replies

• kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Yep. My best friend of 13 years is male.

He's also astoundingly gay, but I don't think it matters ;-)

I'm not sure that qualifies as your standard platonic friendship. lol

Ok, I also have another close male friend who is straight, and happily married. So there.

I think you CAN have a platonic relationship. BUT that doesn't mean one of you won't imagine sleeping with the other at SOME point or another. You can think about it without actually wanting to.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    of course you can maintain a platonic relationship.

I have a few very close female friends, who have been friends for decades. My wifes best friend is a guy and was her man of honour at our wedding.

I have no issues with her hanging out with him and vice versa.
  • frayst
    Options
    I prefer to call it respectfully non-romantic. I have yet to experience a completely platonic relationship that never began, ended, or momentarily experienced some sort of tension.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Yes, but it SUCKS!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Yes I do think you can be, but there has to not be romantic or sexual feelings either side IMO or it just makes things awkward. Not to say it can't still be done through determination or whatever, but what's a good friendship when it's awkward and you can't do the things you'd like to do?
    Thats not saying that i cant recognize the fact that theyre attractive or have other desirable qualities. my husband also has female friends, ive never felt threatened or like they over stepped boundries, ever.

Also, this. Finding them attractive =/= desiring sexual/romantic relations with them.

That said, I've never been close with a member of the opposite sex, since I was a kid. I get on very well with them, at work, at the gym, I've been out for drinks with guys in a platonic way before, but I wouldn't ever have said we were close enough to say we were real friends, the kind you call up to see randomly, and hang out with.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You can find someone physically attractive and still be friends with them. I have platonic friendships with males, while they have expressed what they think about me physically and if we were single, they'd try to hook up with me, it stays platonic. In fact the word platonic means (of love or friendship) intimate and affectionate but not sexual. If a male can't be friends with a female he finds attractive without constantly wanting to put it in her...then it's a personal issue.

stereotypical, and it is things like this that keep sexist comments and keeps men down. Men are continuously being discriminated on.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    If i find them attractive, no i cant keep it in my pants
    And If i dont find them attractive, there will still come a point when i would start finding them attractive if we keep hanging out regularly, so again no!(its called the mermaid theory i think)

tumblr_mgb8kxuLj71qcz348o2_250.gif

mermpat.bmp
  • Marbella29660
    Marbella29660 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Not that I'm one for sitting on the fence but both yes and no apply here. For example there's plenty platonic relationships going on here on MFP, also there are plenty non platonic relationships too and finally there are those that are just out there. So pick your medicine and gulp. It's a big bad world that we live in, platonic relationships, who really cares ha ha......
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    My first wife was very good at maintaining a platonic relationship.....with me. With her co-worker...not so much.
  • Lilly_the_Hillbilly
    Options
    Yes men and women can, of course, maintain platonic relationships. As long as all the men and women engaged in said relationships are on the same level and want platonic relationships.

A man (or a woman) that has an inability to maintain anything platonic is more a statement of that man's(or woman's) ability to treat woman(or men) as platonic and his (or her) inability to leave gender and sexuality out of the equation.

Those of us that can leave gender and sexuality at the door when it comes to people we do not desire but want to have a relationship with, do it all the time.

So if you honestly feel that men and women can not have platonic relationships, then I think you need to take a hard deep look inside of yourself to figure out why you can't do this.

Because it's possible and very rewarding to do so.

*thumbs up* like* +1
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are male. ...but, like, 90% are gay males, so I guess that doesn't quite get at what you're looking for lol

I have a few platonic friendships with straight males that I went through massage therapy school with and so far, so good. Of course, if any one is going to be successful as a massage therapist, they need to be very skilled at drawing lines and maintaining boundaries.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Most of my friends are male. ...but, like, 90% are gay males, so I guess that doesn't quite get at what you're looking for lol

I have a few platonic friendships with straight males that I went through massage therapy school with and so far, so good. Of course, if any one is going to be successful as a massage therapist, they need to be very skilled at drawing lines and maintaining boundaries.

I was kind of in the same situation. When I was in Massage School, I was the only guy in a class of 12. Became very good friends with several of the women, and still maintain a close platonic relationship with one of them... 25 years later.
  • SuperVixen2B
    SuperVixen2B Posts: 218 Member
    Options

I was kind of in the same situation. When I was in Massage School, I was the only guy in a class of 12. Became very good friends with several of the women, and still maintain a close platonic relationship with one of them... 25 years later.

That's awesome to hear. I hope I'm still friends with the lovely people I met in school in 25 years. It's good to have the support system...and the bodywork exchange to keep yourself from getting burned out.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Those of us that can leave gender and sexuality at the door when it comes to people we do not desire but want to have a relationship with, do it all the time.

this.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yes I do think you can be, but there has to not be romantic or sexual feelings either side IMO or it just makes things awkward. Not to say it can't still be done through determination or whatever, but what's a good friendship when it's awkward and you can't do the things you'd like to do?
    Thats not saying that i cant recognize the fact that theyre attractive or have other desirable qualities. my husband also has female friends, ive never felt threatened or like they over stepped boundries, ever.

Also, this. Finding them attractive =/= desiring sexual/romantic relations with them.

That said, I've never been close with a member of the opposite sex, since I was a kid. I get on very well with them, at work, at the gym, I've been out for drinks with guys in a platonic way before, but I wouldn't ever have said we were close enough to say we were real friends, the kind you call up to see randomly, and hang out with.

Uhm, I think my brothers an attractive guy, my whole family has good genes. Doesn't mean I wanna bang him. Same for my male friends. To say I'm blind to their physical appearance is bs. To say I want relationships/sex with them is even more bs. I also notice the attractiveness of other women, does this mean I want to have sex with them?

Thinking someone is attractive to me does not = sexual desires. I graduated high school years ago.
  • TheProudDadLife
    TheProudDadLife Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    we've put people on the moon so ...yup
  • lookin4gains
    lookin4gains Posts: 1,762 Member
    Options
    Yes
  • cuteandfunsized
    cuteandfunsized Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I would like to think so. Most of my friends are guys. They're easier to talk to and they tell you it straight. Which I love. But I do believe if two people,male and female are friends and hang out and talk on the phone and whatever else,for too long there could be some feelings developing other than friendship.
    Hmmm.

I'm going on 25-30 years with some of my guys friends. So far this hasn't happened. How long is "too long"?

Well of course there are some factors,if both parties are married then there's no reason to have feelings if both are happy in their marriages/relationships. You also have to realize if one has feelings for the other they may not say so in fear of ruining a good friendship.

I'm 37. I have male friends who were my friends when we were both single. We spent significant amounts of time alone together. No one ever made a move or implied there were feelings beyond friendship.

Now, maybe I'm just incredibly ugly and don't realize it, but plenty of men have wanted to date me, too, so I don't think that's the problem.

We just didn't have personalities that lent themselves to becoming romantically involved with each other. This does happen. Not all human beings are just waiting to jump each other's bones the second they get the opportunity.

Hmm,"jump each others bones" that wasn't quite what I said,in fact,not even close. I said "develop feelings" now if you interpret that as jumping someone's bones than that's on you. Anyone can have feelings or feel connected to someone without sex being on the table. I'm sorry,but sex wasn't even entering my mind when I said that
  • cuteandfunsized
    cuteandfunsized Posts: 1,187 Member
    Options
    I would like to think so. Most of my friends are guys. They're easier to talk to and they tell you it straight. Which I love. But I do believe if two people,male and female are friends and hang out and talk on the phone and whatever else,for too long there could be some feelings developing other than friendship.
    Hmmm.

I'm going on 25-30 years with some of my guys friends. So far this hasn't happened. How long is "too long"?

Well of course there are some factors,if both parties are married then there's no reason to have feelings if both are happy in their marriages/relationships. You also have to realize if one has feelings for the other they may not say so in fear of ruining a good friendship.

I'm 37. I have male friends who were my friends when we were both single. We spent significant amounts of time alone together. No one ever made a move or implied there were feelings beyond friendship.

Now, maybe I'm just incredibly ugly and don't realize it, but plenty of men have wanted to date me, too, so I don't think that's the problem.

We just didn't have personalities that lent themselves to becoming romantically involved with each other. This does happen. Not all human beings are just waiting to jump each other's bones the second they get the opportunity.

Let me just add this,one should be able to post an opinion without snarky attitudes. Your sarcasm is not needed. It's people like you that make others afraid to post,worried about "trolls" but I am not one of those people. I will post regardless. Have a wonderful day ????