What is running protocol for dogs?

Options

Replies

• fabnine
    fabnine Posts: 379 Member
    Options

Especially with runners and cyclists who are moving faster and are at greater risk of falling, I make sure my control of my dog and our positioning is clear well in advance--we don't do it at the last minute. We either move way off to the side, or I block him, or he is on a very short leash so that it is impossible for him to move into the path of the runner.

It's just common sense and common courtesy. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Thank you! I pass a woman every Sunday morning walking her German Shepherd. Before I'm near them she steps off the road, heels her dog, holds his leash firmly & stands between the dog and me. He barks aggressively the whole time but I never worry that I'm in danger. The world needs more owners like this.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can try tucking a couple of slim jims or dog jerky treats into your pocket. If a dog comes at you, stop and give him a friendly command that he probably knows. "Hey boy, sit! Treat." and toss him a treat. This might sound ridiculous, and no, you shouldn't have to carry treats, it seems really unfair that this type of thing should become your responsibility. But realistically, doing this has saved my butt a couple of times with aggressive dogs.

Call animal control and ask to have the area patrolled more often. If people know the dog police are there often, they'll keep their dogs on leash or walk somewhere else that isn't patrolled.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options

Especially with runners and cyclists who are moving faster and are at greater risk of falling, I make sure my control of my dog and our positioning is clear well in advance--we don't do it at the last minute. We either move way off to the side, or I block him, or he is on a very short leash so that it is impossible for him to move into the path of the runner.

It's just common sense and common courtesy. It really shouldn't be that hard to figure out.

Thank you! I pass a woman every Sunday morning walking her German Shepherd. Before I'm near them she steps off the road, heels her dog, holds his leash firmly & stands between the dog and me. He barks aggressively the whole time but I never worry that I'm in danger. The world needs more owners like this.
    Agreed. Thanks for being a responsible and courteous dog owner.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    You can try tucking a couple of slim jims or dog jerky treats into your pocket. If a dog comes at you, stop and give him a friendly command that he probably knows. "Hey boy, sit! Treat." and toss him a treat. This might sound ridiculous, and no, you shouldn't have to carry treats, it seems really unfair that this type of thing should become your responsibility. But realistically, doing this has saved my butt a couple of times with aggressive dogs.

Call animal control and ask to have the area patrolled more often. If people know the dog police are there often, they'll keep their dogs on leash or walk somewhere else that isn't patrolled.

That isn't a bad idea -- they only problem I see is that the dog might associate being rewarded for aggressive behavior. And when the next person that comes by that smells like fear and doesn't offer an appeasement treat...?
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Unless it looks like it's going to kill you which is unlikely. Stop and say hello. 99% of dogs just want to play and say hello
    I would proceed VERY cautiously with this advice...I know you didn't specifically say "pet them", but that's what saying hello means to a lot of people. As a former pit bull owner, I would always advise extreme caution with a dog you don't know (regardless of breed or size). Mine stayed within our property lines and kept to herself when she was out in public, but she was territorial and protective (of me especially), so if anyone approached her or tried to pet her, she was potentially very dangerous. I didn't take her out in public places a lot, but when we did, we had to be on guard to head off fearless children or friendly strangers who thought they were dog whisperers.
  • mtnstar
    mtnstar Posts: 125 Member
    Options

That isn't a bad idea -- they only problem I see is that the dog might associate being rewarded for aggressive behavior. And when the next person that comes by that smells like fear and doesn't offer an appeasement treat...?

I know, it's a tough call. Hopefully the dog might start to associate runners with positive experiences. If you can calm the dog down, it might be a good entre to discuss the situation with the owner in a less confrontational environment.

I work with dogs. We sometimes call the situation Postman Syndrome- for the dog that barks when the postman comes every day out of fear or territorial aggression. Then the postman goes away. The dog thinks "Ha ha! It worked!" So he barks louder the next time. If the dog barks at runners that make him uncomfortable, then they run away, he thinks it worked and will bark again. If he sometimes gets treats, maybe he will approach with interest, not barking.

I know it is not your job to train someone else's dog. Just an idea.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I do the same when I'm running with my dog and we approach another runner, walker or cyclist. I stop running, step to the side of the path, and make her sit/stay.

I will let her run free in the park we run through if there are no dogs running loose and no people in our direct path. If she is running loose and a dog comes into view, or a person appears ahead of us on the path, I immediately snap her leash back on. I believe that it is my job as a good dog owner to keep my dog out of others' business. I feel heightened responsibility because she is a pit bull and people can be very fearful of the breed, and if there was an altercation or incident when she was off leash, I know she would be blamed even if it wasn't her fault.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Unless it looks like it's going to kill you which is unlikely. Stop and say hello. 99% of dogs just want to play and say hello
    I would proceed VERY cautiously with this advice...I know you didn't specifically say "pet them", but that's what saying hello means to a lot of people. As a former pit bull owner, I would always advise extreme caution with a dog you don't know (regardless of breed or size). Mine stayed within our property lines and kept to herself when she was out in public, but she was territorial and protective (of me especially), so if anyone approached her or tried to pet her, she was potentially very dangerous. I didn't take her out in public places a lot, but when we did, we had to be on guard to head off fearless children or friendly strangers who thought they were dog whisperers.

This, too.

My pit bull is actually on the fearful side with people and doesn't enjoy being approached by strangers. If she is off-leash and a person comes into view, she high-tails it to my side. People get pissed off when their kid asks to pet her and I say "no." I, too, have had a few "wannabe dog whisperers" try to press the issue.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Unless it looks like it's going to kill you which is unlikely. Stop and say hello. 99% of dogs just want to play and say hello if you run they see you as something to chase. I come across dogs on most runs just because of where i run. I stop for a few seconds and say HI to them and they're fine. IMO half the problem is people running away from them they just think you're playing. I know if you don't like dogs it's harder but most dogs are fine.

All these people who are advocating violence towards dogs as far as I'm concerned are pretty low human beings and if you do this there is a good chance of getting yourself prosecuted for animal cruelty. If you turned around and kicked one of my dogs I'd do the same to you. There are some nasty people in this thread

I'm out running. I don't want to stop and play with your dog, nor should I have to.

Keep your dog away from me. That's all I ask. If you can't manage that I'll have to do it myself. If you'd like to take it up with me afterwards be my guest. I'll kick your dog, kick your *kitten*, the dog can then be put down, and you'll face legal charges of your own.

It's your dog. Not mine. I have no responsibility for it. You have the responsibility to keep it away from me.

He's right. No one wants to kill or harm anything but people have to be accountable for thier animals.

They are animals, they don't understand english, they sense fear and a host of other things we don't feel and people need to remember that. We may dress them in clothes, put boots on them, give them first middle and last names and throw birthday parties for them, but in the end, they are domesticated animals that still have one foot in the tundra, howling at the moon.
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Dogs hate runners.

Nonsense.
    My dog (and almost all dogs I know) give a **** about runners, cyclists, cars, walkers ... He is walking his walk and that's pretty much it.

Anyone who advises on kicking a dog.. Has anyone of you ever actually kicked a dog? And I mean dogs above knee size. Some dogs MIGHT be impressed by that action, others will take the chance and you can say good bye to your leg. As a normal person without experience you have no clue what character of dog stands before you. Most stupid advise possible.

To all the parents: you should very well think about your behavior around dogs as you teach your child to be afraid of dogs.
    I do understand people how are afraid of something because they had a bad experience, but I do not understand people who just freak out about something just because they don't know better.

Good advise has been given already.
    Do not run from a dog. A dog is ALWAYS faster than you are and running away from him only triggers the hunter instinct.
    Always remember dogs are much better in reading our bodylanguage than we can read theirs.
    They know how you feel about them and depending on the character of the dog he reacts.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options

This, too.

My pit bull is actually on the fearful side with people and doesn't enjoy being approached by strangers. If she is off-leash and a person comes into view, she high-tails it to my side. People get pissed off when their kid asks to pet her and I say "no." I, too, have had a few "wannabe dog whisperers" try to press the issue.
    That's exactly how mine was...she was awesome in public (never bothered anyone), but she did NOT like strangers and never warmed up to any child. She had to observe new people for quite a while before she decided if she liked them first (only then would she allowed new people to pet her).

If you haven't heard of it yet...check out yellow dog project (http://www.theyellowdogproject.com/The_Yellow_Dog_Project/Home.html). I don't know how much its caught on, but its a movement to indentify that your dog does not welcome being approached by strangers. I think its a great idea!
  • whippetwomen
    whippetwomen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I was just about to post a thread about this....good timing.

I live in a very dog-friendly city. I'm talking dogs in strollers and other such nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I don't like when they come "say hi" when I'm out for a run or sitting on the beach with my son. If your dog in bounding up to me, I have no idea if it's friendly or not, and it scares me. Stray dogs terrify me. And pit bulls....don't get me started on how much THEY scare me (commence hateful responses now). I guess I'm a baby too :laugh:

So I've started carrying dog spray. Usually one flash of that cannister is enough to get the dog owner to get the dog away from me (and also garners me some glares, but I'm ok with that).

ETA: stray dogs with no owner around, like other posters said, make yourself the boss, stern voice, don't turn your back or back down. Oh and did I mention dog spray? :laugh: what is this dog spray?
    I have 3 whippets 2 have been attacked by staffies (UK version of pitbulls) once they lock their teeth on, nothing short of killing them will get them to let go. This spray sounds perfect :-)
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Well if your looking for an approach to backing a dog off you could always buy a can of pet corrector, I think that's the name. It is basically canned air that admits a noise that dogs don't like usually backs em off.
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Can I kick your child when it runs up to my leashed dog and pokes it in the eye?

Dog owners need to be responsible and keep their dogs on leashes, but parents need to teach their children to keep their hands to themselves.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    Can I kick your child when it runs up to my leashed dog and pokes it in the eye?
    :laugh: :laugh: so tempting! Sometimes I do believe there should be a leash law on (at least some) children too!
    Options
    Has this happened? :huh:
  • kefryar
    kefryar Posts: 77 Member
    Options

not directly in the eye, but she's been grabbed by plenty of children. she's extremely patient and she doesn't get spooked by them (thank god bc she's not small), but I do see this happen a lot-kids run up to her followed by parents going "oh I'm so sorry" and wisking their kids away.
    a lot of dog bites are provoked by things like this. a lot of them aren't. I totally get not wanting dogs to run up to you. I HATE this, it's terrifying, but It works both ways-don't let your children run up to strange dogs, ESPECIALLY when they're on a leash. They get spooked a lot easier because they know they can't run away from the (perceived) threat.

and no i have not kicked a child
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Options
    It happened to me more than once (the poking of the dog that is.....not the kicking of the children:laugh: ).
  • TiberiusClaudis
    TiberiusClaudis Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I had something like this happen to me once, but kind of on the other side of it.

My wife, PG at the time and I where walking our new puppy in the park one day. Choc lab, he was about 3 months old and very playful. The park didnt require that dogs to be on leads.

A male jogger ran by and our puppy started to chase him. I called him and started after him, meanwhile the jogger turn around and took a kung fu kick right to my dogs head....of course he went yelping in pain. I was beyond mad..shock. My wife knows me and knows I rarely ever get mad..unless you touch my dog...so she immediately got between us and told the guy, you better run for your life because my husband is about to kick your *kitten*. He did.

I went over to check on my dog and he was ok, but I was really mad, took me hrs to cool down.

Not saying we were in the right...but definately excessive force. Just another side to a story for what it's worth.
    Options
    Parents of young children need a good kick once in a while, I agree
    I've always told my child to ask the owner before touching a dog, not just to go ahead and pet it. I don't want him to get bitten if the dog doesn't like kids or doesn't like to be touched by strangers.
    Please don't kick my child :laugh: