Anyone want to share a diet that produces results :)

Options

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more

Ground-breaking!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I am new a ready to get healthy and happy :) I recently gained 35lbs after having a baby and would like to lose it :)

There's a great one I know. It's called: set up your information on this site, follow the recommendations, eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, eat foods you like in quantities that fit your nutrition goals, include some form of resistance training, and tweak things as you go.

I know it's a long name and a bit unorthodox, but it's totally worthwhile.

If you haven't found these guides yet, I always suggest starting with these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1365345-getting-started-a-marine-s-perspective

And then these if you want to take your logging to the next step:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

Ta dah! It's like magic, really.
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I would eat healthy wholesome foods and stay away from refined sugar, flour, junk foods. I follow a low carb (Atkins) diet and have lost 36 pounds since June of 2014, and have not lost any muscle in the process. I swim for exercise.
  • LunaRaeWilder
    LunaRaeWilder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm trying a rotation of 16:8 and 14:10 Intermittent Fasting. The first number represents the number of consecutive fast hours. The latter number the eating window. During the fast, you of course eat nothing. During the eating window is when you consume your food choices. For me, my current calorie intake is about 1700 to 2000 for reduction. I try to eat a healthy ratio of carbs/pro/fat.

The theory is that it takes the body about 8 hours of NO eating to use up energy(food) consumed during the day. After that it turns to stored fat for energy. So, fasting for 16 hours gives your body opportunity to burn stored body fat for 8 hours. I start my fast at 7:00 p.m. and sleep through quite a bit of it. I don't start my eating window until 11:00 a.m. on my 16:8 days. On 14:10 days I can start my eating earlier. I reserve 14:10 for Sunday's and Wednesday's due to activities that would stall my eating window if not eaten before I attend them.

I've only been doing this a week. The theory sounded good. I don't have to give any food groups up, buy any gadgetry, buy special pills or prepackaged foods, etc. I'm down 2 pounds my first week. Not celebrating it though until I do a three or four week average and see where I'm at from there. So far though, I'll admit to hunger in the morning. But, I'm not faint and famished before my eating window begins. I'm satisfied during my window and sleeping well.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am new a ready to get healthy and happy :) I recently gained 35lbs after having a baby and would like to lose it :)

There's a great one I know. It's called: set up your information on this site, follow the recommendations, eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, eat foods you like in quantities that fit your nutrition goals, include some form of resistance training, and tweak things as you go.

I know it's a long name and a bit unorthodox, but it's totally worthwhile.

If you haven't found these guides yet, I always suggest starting with these links:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1296011-calorie-counting-101
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1365345-getting-started-a-marine-s-perspective

And then these if you want to take your logging to the next step:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

Thank you :)
  • For me, I have two rules, no white flour, and no drinks with added sugar. Seems simple and it is, and it helps!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    For me, I have two rules, no white flour, and no drinks with added sugar. Seems simple and it is, and it helps!
    And neither is a remotely harmful rule! I limit both as well, as I try to eat real "slow carb" (not Tim Ferriss).

By now, OP you've seen a million replies. All hinge on "create a deficit". You get to decide how.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how you want to exercise. Going low carb while training for a marathon, for example, is quite stupid. How do you exercise. What are your goals?

Really? Is this personal experience or opinion?

In the last year, I have used a low carb approach (~20% of calories from carbs) to lose over 50 pounds and cut 35 minutes from my half marathon time (2:20 to 1:45). I am currently on track to run a 3:45 for my next marathon, cutting 70 minutes from my Dec 2013 time of 4:56.

I look good and feel great.

I would wager that you aren't really getting only 20% of your calories from carbs if you are training for a marathon. So they pass out pork chops at the race stations, do they? Any endurance athlete in the world will tell you they get the majority of their calories from carbs.

And yes, mine is also from personal experience as a former competitive triathlete.

You would be wrong about my carb calories, as I often get less than 20% If your body is switching from carb burning to fat burning when you bonk during a race, why not skip to the fat burning part and keep your body in ketosis? And since you've included a snarky comment about the race stations, I should probably simply bow to your obviously superior wisdom and stop doing what works for me.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Moderation, and moving more. It's like magic, my ticker doesn't lie! I went from a size 12/14, to a 4/6 in 9 months just by eating less, moving more.

I have my cake, and eat it too.
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Any diet you can stick with that gives you a calorie deficit. What can you stick with over time? Eat that.

So much this. My diary is open if you wanna see what I've been eating the past few months. :laugh:
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    It totally depends on how you want to exercise. Going low carb while training for a marathon, for example, is quite stupid. How do you exercise. What are your goals?

In the last year, I have used a low carb approach (~20% of calories from carbs) to lose over 50 pounds and cut 35 minutes from my half marathon time (2:20 to 1:45). I am currently on track to run a 3:45 for my next marathon, cutting 70 minutes from my Dec 2013 time of 4:56.

I would wager that you aren't really getting only 20% of your calories from carbs if you are training for a marathon. So they pass out pork chops at the race stations, do they? Any endurance athlete in the world will tell you they get the majority of their calories from carbs.

And yes, mine is also from personal experience as a former competitive triathlete.

You would be wrong about my carb calories, as I often get less than 20% If your body is switching from carb burning to fat burning when you bonk during a race, why not skip to the fat burning part and keep your body in ketosis? And since you've included a snarky comment about the race stations, I should probably simply bow to your obviously superior wisdom and stop doing what works for me.

What you should probably do is realize that endurance athletes AVERAGE, at a minimum, 40% of their calories from carbs. So you'll forgive me if I don't believe you have re-written training history.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options

What you should probably do is realize that endurance athletes AVERAGE, at a minimum, 40% of their calories from carbs. So you'll forgive me if I don't believe you have re-written training history.

I'm well aware of what the majority of endurance athletes are doing. I have chosen a different path and it has worked well for me.
  • danielleespin
    danielleespin Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Reducing sugar and meal portion sizes made a HUGE difference for me, 7kgs down. I run twice a week (roughly) - :smile:
  • FrancoPugLover
    Options
    In my opinion the BEST way to loose weight is to NOT cut out any foods and to remain under your calories goal on here. Exercise i believe is also extremely important too. You dont have to go crazy with exercising but try to find something that gets you moving which you will enjoy. Remember that this is for life not just for a few months. I have lost only 7ibs through MFP but previously to joining i had lost 4 stone by counting my calories and by exercising every day. Its something which has taken me a long time also to do but i feel that again this is the best way rather than loosing it all in one go too quickly. This is just my advice anyhow. Good luck :-)
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    eat at a calorie deficit by weighing and measuring everything accurately/ log everything that goes into your mouth/ get more active and sweat more/ do your best to keep adding in new foods and recipes and meals instead of depriving yourself, soon the new good things will push out the bad ones and you wont even miss them.

Skip the diet, just eat healthy.

There is no secret, you just have to keep trying out new ways to make this a realistic part of your everyday life. When you do that, you have found your personalized "diet" plan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    eat at a calorie deficit by weighing and measuring everything accurately/ log everything that goes into your mouth/ get more active and sweat more/ do your best to keep adding in new foods and recipes and meals instead of depriving yourself, soon the new good things will push out the bad ones and you wont even miss them.

Skip the diet, just eat healthy.

There is no secret, you just have to keep trying out new ways to make this a realistic part of your everyday life. When you do that, you have found your personalized "diet" plan.
    That is a diet, and it's a pretty smart one.
  • paomiamifl
    paomiamifl Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I eat once a day with the occasional snack if I'm really hungry or craving something. I follow a kind of intermittent fasting that has helped me lose 92 pounds in about 13 months or so.
    My new lifestyle has controlled my habits in that I've learned to view food as a necessity to live, not live to eat. For me, that's been awesome!
    I don't count calories, but I do worry about calories in vs calories out. I control that by weighing every week, sometimes twice, to make sure I'm constantly losing. I'm wheelchair bound so I need a lot less calories than a person that walks. I also think not viewing foods as something forbidden or bad, and in general changing my emotions towards food has helped me a lot.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options

I'm well aware of what the majority of endurance athletes are doing. I have chosen a different path and it has worked well for me.

If you're "well aware" that this is the received wisdom among endurance athletes and that your "path" is "different" from the usual, I wonder what made you snark in with your "oh really where do you get your info" comment in the first place. Sheesh.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if the OP is getting all this. Bueller? Bueller?

It seems that OPs either return within the hour or not at all. I tend to assume that posters have abandoned a thread and are no longer reading if they don't respond after a few hours.
  • moondawg14
    moondawg14 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Don't confuse the issue. Exercise is completely NOT NECESSARY to lose weight.

I'm not saying "Don't Exercise."

I'm saying "Get a grip on your fork, before you get a grip on a barbell."