What do you do with a sweet potato?

Options

Replies

• George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    I cook 5 lbs of sweet potatoes at a time in an oven. I cut off the ends, lance them two times with knife. Put them in at 500 degrees for about 45 minutes until really soft (potatoes are small). I usually have 6 lbs of chicken in the oven with the potato. Once cooked I divide out 6 oz portions (or whatever my meal plan calls for) into containers with 6.5 oz of cooked chicken (or whatever my meal plan calls for). I add veggies to each container. All this makes just over 10 meals that end up in a freezer in stacked Tupperware. Highly efficient way to prep many meals.

I eat the sweet potato plain and soft, taste like a desert to me but fuels my evening weight training workout.

Pretty much this exactly, though lately I've been using canned.
  • nonacgp
    nonacgp Posts: 132
    Options
    poke holes in, nuke it till done (it never exploded on me) then slice in half lengthwise, sprinkle with cinnamon and a little stevia and spray halves with spray butter of your cholce. Love it this way.
  • maasha81
    maasha81 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Oven roast it ... I use a bit of EVOO or PAM spray and seasonings usually cumin and sea salt or sometimes rosemary, pepper flakes, salt.

So tasty.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    At work - I wrap it in a wet paper towel and nuke it for 4 minutes, then add butter and cinnamon, or cream cheese (just a bit), or anything I may have to eat it with. I mostly like them baked and nuked.

There are the sweet yams for thanksgiving.

Put them in stews and soups.

Mashed sweet potatoes are the bomb.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I steam mine in the microwave until tender. Scrape out the flesh add 2 tsp of brown sugar, and 5g of butter, sometimes a 1/2tsp of milk mash it up until smooth and creamy and en-freaking-joy!

side note: you can stuff it back in the skin and pop it in the oven for a twice baked potato. save a little bit of brown sugar and butter to put on top...
  • birdstudios
    birdstudios Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Baked: Peeled & chopped into batons, teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of maldon salt flakes & freshly ground pepper.
    So delicious and they don't take long at all to bake.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Poke a few times, wrap in foil. Place in the crockpot before work (turn on low) and done when I get home.

Crockpot on high - takes 4 hours.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    cubed, steamed, mashed, and loaded with red pepper and other spices
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I have searched far and wide and tried and tested many times for the perfect sweet potato fry recipe. I cut them into medium sized fries, spray with 0 cal oil spray. Salt & pepper, sprinkle of basil. Toss with 1tbls cornstarch to coat evenly. Bake for 20 minutes @ 400. Flip over. Bake 10-15 more minutes.

The cornstarch makes them perfectly crunchy and the basil really goes with the sweetness. I rarely eat regular fries any more since these are so good :)
  • WonkaCat
    Options
    I cut them up in quarters and put them in the crock pot with reg. potatoes, carrots and a pork roast.
  • demonictermite
    Options
    I like making steak fries with them! I cut them into long, thick rectangles then bake for 15-20 minutes on 400! Delicious!
  • italysharon
    italysharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    You don't need to add any liquid to the crock pot? Sounds great, thanks!
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Now, I peel and cut it up into small pieces and throw it in the crockpot with my steel cut oats, apple and spices. Yum!

This sounds amazing! Do you let it cook overnight? What liquid do you add? Must.have.recipe :)
  • micheledavison39
    micheledavison39 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Moroccan Sweet Potato/Yam & Cauliflower soup

2 tbsp olive oil, divided
    1 large Yam/sweet potator
    1 med-large head cauliflower
    1/2 cup diced onion
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tsp Cumin
    1/2 tsp Cinnamon
    1 tsp grated ginger
    1/2 tsp tumeric
    salt and pepper to taste
    4 Cups low sodium chicken broth
    1/4 c Pecan pieces - optional
    1/4c fresh parsley - optional

1. Preheat oven to 450
    2. peel potato and cut it and cauliflower florets into 1 inch pieces
    3. coat lightly in olive oil(1.5 tbsp) and put on baking sheet (cover it in foil to ease cleanup), bake for ~30 minutes until potatoes are soft turning once mid way through
    4. mince garlic & onion and saute in stock pot until onions are lightly browned
    5. add Cumin through tumeric, saute for 30 seconds
    6. add potatoes, cauliflower & 3.5 cups chicken broth to pot
    7. mix well
    8. ladle soup into blender and process in small batches until smooth (you can also use an immersion blender but it doesn't get as smooth)
    9. return to pot, season with salt & pepper if desired, add rest of chicken broth if too thick
    10. top with pecans and parsley if desired

Serves 4, 296C, 15F, 318Sod, 41carb, 9fiber, 7protein

Recipe from Lulora.com
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Cut into fries, shake em in a zip lock bag with oil, bake em, make chipotle mayo for dipping.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I nuke mine for 6 minutes and then put 6 tsp of brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice, Oh and I spray it with can't believe its not butter.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Cut into slices with slices of butternut squash, spray with oil then roast. I serve mine with tuna (but I have strange tastes :wink: )
  • ItsMeBlue
    ItsMeBlue Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    cubed with sliced portabello mushrooms, pan seared in light olive oil. a pinch of oregano and salt!
  • dherburg
    dherburg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    After I cook them I mash them with pureed white beans, a little butter, and depending on my mood either some garlic and pepper or a little cinnamon. Mashed potatoes is a comfort food for me, but when I add the white beans I feel like at least I am getting some good protein! Thank you for posting this question--I now have a plethora of great recipes to try!