Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Cleaning...Light or Heavy??

Can someone explain to me the difference between:- Light Cleaning and Heavy Cleaning please :)
Thank you

Replies

• I would say dishes vacuuming VS. scrubbing bath tub and washing cloths by hand.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Eh, but cleaning doesn't matter. If you did it when you gained your weight and still do it while trying to lose weight. I wouldn't log it.

Unless you are a cleaner by trait. If so increase your activity level. Cleaning is not exercise.

With that said to me light cleaning is picking stuff up around the house, doing dishes, wiping stuff down.

Heavy would be vacuuming, mopping, scrubbing down tubs, floors...stuff that requires more work.
  • I think light cleaning is your usual cleaning like vacuuming, dishes, cleaning bathrooms, making beds, etc. Heavy cleaning to me is the spring cleaning type cleaning where you are moving furniture, cleaning windows, scrubbing floors by hand, etc.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    I wouldn't bother logging 'light cleaning', which, to me, is a normal every day activity. I'd consider 'heavy cleaning' to be anything that I might do for an extended period of time that gets my heart rate up or causes me to break a sweat - things like scrubbing floors or moving heavy furniture.
  • Eh, but cleaning doesn't matter. If you did it when you gained your weight and still do it while trying to lose weight. I wouldn't log it.

Unless you are a cleaner by trait. If so increase your activity level. Cleaning is not exercise.

Well it matters to me...hence why I asked.
    I do a big clean every week and I am still moving. Just because it's not the traditional 'exercise' doesn't mean I shouldn't log it, if I am cleaning for 3 hours - thats 3 hours of moving.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    While one can definitely work up a sweat while cleaning, I don't ever log calories for it. MFP has no idea how hard you actually worked during the time you were "cleaning" so its calorie estimate for you is just a wild guess. If you're planning to eat back those cleaning calories you could be hindering your weight loss if you overestimated, and therefore ate more calories than you burned.

By the way, the same thing goes with other MFP exercise values like biking, hiking, mowing the lawn, etc. Avoid those entries as much as possible. Instead, get a heart rate monitor which will give you a much better guess of your actual calorie burn. Yes, I said "guess" because even a HRM is just giving you an estimate but it's going to be a much closer estimate.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Light cleaning:

Cardio-Versus-Strength-Training.jpeg

Heavy Cleaning:

01.jpg
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Can someone explain to me the difference between:- Light Cleaning and Heavy Cleaning please :)
    Thank you

Light cleaning is when you watch the maids do it as you're sipping a martini. Heavy cleaning is when your wife does it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Eh, but cleaning doesn't matter. If you did it when you gained your weight and still do it while trying to lose weight. I wouldn't log it.

I do a big clean every week and I am still moving. Just because it's not the traditional 'exercise' doesn't mean I shouldn't log it, if I am cleaning for 3 hours - thats 3 hours of moving.
    You're better off underestimating your calorie burn than overestimating it. So if you're determined to enter the activity into MFP, choose the light cleaning option.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Yes, it's 3 hours of moving. But should you log it if it's part of your regular routine? Probably not. If you think it makes that much of a difference, increase your activity level.

That being said, if I was going to be moving furniture or doing other heavier tasks, I would log it. But that's because I don't do it on a regular basis. Anything that's "routine" I don't log as exercise.

For example, if you walk up/down the stairs 5 times (average) per day, would you start logging that just because now you're trying to lose weight? No. Because when you were gaining weight, and you still did that, it wasn't enough exercise to keep you from gaining weight. Make more sense?
  • I don't understand this site...

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    I don't understand this site...

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.

you're learning fast!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Light cleaning is what I do.

Heavy cleaning is what the Amish girl does.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I'd say light if you are moving around consistently, heavy if you are working up a sweat.

You are right, whether you should log it or not depends on you--what's been working for you, what else you are doing, etc.
  • FitChickBritt
    FitChickBritt Posts: 161 Member
    Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.
  • alska
    alska Posts: 299 Member
    I wear my heart rate monitor when I clean ... that way I know how many calories I burned.

n I created a new exercising calling it "Cleaning with HRM"...

I agree with whoever said if you are moving around n not sweating then I would say light n if you are sweating then I would say heavy.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member

Cleaning and moving are 2 different things. There is an option for lifting/ moving household items or boxes.

I still answered your question.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    I don't understand this site...

Interesting. Very interesting. Couldn't see that coming.
  • Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.

Who are you to tell me what I should and shouldn't log? Surely its my choice if I want to or not.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,603 Member
    Light - daily things like dusting, vacuuming, dishes.

Heavy - Spring Cleaning, washing the shower

I don't log any cleaning, but that's my take on it.

No, people shouldn't be rude. You did nothing to deserve being mocked. Next to every name is an arrow. If you click on it, you get the option to ignore all future posts from that person. Some people literally log in JUST to spread nastiness around, lol. Make good use of that Ignore thing and the forums become a happier and more supportive place. :)
This discussion has been closed.