Cleaning...Light or Heavy??

Options

Replies

• KayleighIsGoingFatToFit
    Options

But she wants someone to give her an exact # of calories burned for each one…

Though to do that it requires a lot more than she has given, plus, it's all just estimates so it really doesn't matter...

I didn't say that so don't put words in my mouth. Ta

Oh but you did
    I just wanted to see how many it burns, I am curious. Like if I went for a 90 minute walk I would want to know how many calories burnt to be curious

I WASN'T GOING TO LOG THEM!!! I AM CURIOUS OF THE NUMBER
    [/quote]

I did not ask any of you for that number, hence I asked the original question so I can work it out
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Though to do that it requires a lot more than she has given, plus, it's all just estimates so it really doesn't matter...

Oh but you did
    I just wanted to see how many it burns, I am curious. Like if I went for a 90 minute walk I would want to know how many calories burnt to be curious

I did not ask any of you for that number, hence I asked the original question so I can work it out

Again only you can decide what is light or heavy cleaning. Everyone has a different definition.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

You'll have to forgive us for assuming you meant to log it. When most people ask this type of question that's exactly what they mean to do. And when the question is asked, it's always by someone who is new, so we were trying to be helpful by pointing out that you'd only be hurting yourself in the long run by doing it.

So, back to the original question... .The problem is, as many of us have pointed out, neither of those two numbers is likely to be absolutely correct. The whole "science" around calories is very inexact. The amount of calories in that apple? An estimate based on the average of a bunch of apples. The apple you're eating may be sweeter than average and therefore contain more calories. A HRM's calorie total after a 3 mile run is only a guess at your actual calories burned based on some algorithms involving your heart rate and body mass and includes the calories you would have burned anyway while sitting on the sofa for that time, too. So take a look at the light and heavy calorie burns and know that what you actually burned was probably somewhere in between. That's really the best that anyone is going to be able to tell you.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    ....just guess. Make a number up. Do it as many times as you want. Or dont. It'll remain an infinite mystery as to the exact caloric burn for cleaning. Maybe the calorie burn fairy will come to you tonight and whisper you sweet nothing of that mysterious number.

The answer to all life's questions in the mean time is: 42
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    When I was out of shape, cleaning every room in the house and dragging the vaccuum cleaner up and down the stairs felt like heavy work - I was out of breath, maybe even sore the next day. Now I can do it in half the time without any heavy breathing. And therein lies the challenge.

The difficult in defining what is light cleaning or what is heavy cleaning is (in my opinion) the reason why it should not be logged. As we lose weight and get more fit, our capabilities change and what was once heavy cleaning may now be light cleaning. It's a whole spectrum - how do you estimate on a spectrum? Also, since people here have varying degrees of fitness, there's no way that we can help you define what is light and heavy to you, either.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    If your activity level set to sedentary? If not, do not log cleaning.

ETA: The exact number... oh boy
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    ....just guess. Make a number up. Do it as many times as you want. Or dont. It'll remain an infinite mystery as to the exact caloric burn for cleaning. Maybe the calorie burn fairy will come to you tonight and whisper you sweet nothing of that mysterious number.

Siri told me it's 37.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Siri told me it's 37.

Siri's a dirty liar! I'mma tell it to her computer face. Clearly, she has no taste for good books!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Oh but you did
    She didn't ask for the number. She asked people's ideas of light cleaning vs heavy cleaning.

Why she wanted that info and what she planned to do with it was assumed by many, who proceeded to mock her for the stuff they made up.

There is no reason for the mocking, insulting, laughing and arguing with the OP.

She just asked a simple question.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Siri told me it's 37.

Siri's a dirty liar! I'mma tell it to her computer face. Clearly, she has no taste for good books!

I just asked her the meaning of life and she said she can't answer that now, but give her some time to write a really long play in which nothing happens….

Man, Siri is snarky and mean.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Are we talking housework or liquid diets?
  • jennifermcornett
    jennifermcornett Posts: 159 Member
    Options

Oh but you did
    She didn't ask for the number. She asked people's ideas of light cleaning vs heavy cleaning.

Why she wanted that info and what she planned to do with it was assumed by many, who proceeded to mock her for the stuff they made up.

There is no reason for the mocking, insulting, laughing and arguing with the OP.

Nobody did any of that until OP got defensive for no real reason. And even then, most people continued in a supportive, advice-giving fashion.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Oh but you did

I don't see a whole lot of mocking, insulting and laughing going on. What am I missing?

And no one is arguing. People were simply giving opinions (this is an open forum for discussion) and the OP got defensive.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Oh but you did

But she did say she was curious to the NUMBER. Meaning, she wants to know how many calories it burns. No one can give her a number or define what heavy or light cleaning is for her, because to each person it's different. It would also depend on height, weight, how much to lose, too many variables.

I'm not mocking, insulting, laughing or arguing. Why she's getting so upset is beyond me.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    Options

Siri told me it's 37.

I just asked her the meaning of life and she said she can't answer that now, but give her some time to write a really long play in which nothing happens….

Man, Siri is snarky and mean.

As long as it's followed by the life of Brian... I'm still in, Siri.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Oh but you did

Hmmm is this the right thread?? I don't see any of that going on here. The OP is pretty defensive and cannot say thank you for getting good advice.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options

Oh but you did

Hmmm is this the right thread?? I don't see any of that going on here. The OP is pretty defensive and cannot say thank you for getting good advice.

Well because she doesn't think she's gotten any.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options

Oh but you did

Well because she doesn't think she's gotten any.

Oh yeah that's right! Thanks for pointing that out :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Oh but you did

But she did say she was curious to the NUMBER. Meaning, she wants to know how many calories it burns. No one can give her a number or define what heavy or light cleaning is for her, because to each person it's different. It would also depend on height, weight, how much to lose, too many variables.

I'm not mocking, insulting, laughing or arguing. Why she's getting so upset is beyond me.
    She said she was curious about the number later. Not before the nastiness began.

And she didn't ask anyone for the number. She felt like she had to defend her reason for asking the original question. Since nobody was asked for the number, there is no reason to go on about why it cannot be given.

You are absolutely arguing with her with your "Oh, but you did" type comments. And you're you're wrong, because she didn't.

You could just admit to being wrong and admit she didn't deserve a lot of the grief she got here. Or you could continue arguing that there is something wrong with the OP and all that jazz. If the point of all of it is to sound smart, admitting you were wrong would be he best way.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Can someone explain to me the difference between:- Light Cleaning and Heavy Cleaning please :)
    Thank you

One you can do all day. The other you can't.

Unless you're out of shape, in which case you shouldn't be logging it at all.
This discussion has been closed.