Cleaning...Light or Heavy??

Options

Replies

• occultllama
    occultllama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Perhaps no one can answer your question on what is light cleaning vs. heavy cleaning because no one logs it.... because you shouldn't.

^^^This. Its pretty much an activity of daily living. The only time it can POSSIBLY be considered exercise is if you're pregnant or something....lol. Folding laundry gets my heart pumping. But even then. More than likely no.

I work as a cleaner, if I'm doing it for six hours a day, four days a week I'm going to log it.

In response to the OP, I log vacuuming, wiping mirrors, cleaning toilets and showers, and wiping down machines as light cleaning. Heavy cleaning is scrubbing out the sauna, washing the windows, and scrubbing the bathroom mats.

I work in a gym so my cleaning is a bit more intense than normal round the house stuff most people do.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Someone else to attack hey guys? Must be exciting for you all.

It's really cute how you start off in this thread with zero helpful advice to the OP but accuse others of having no life and to put the claws away...only to then claim you're now a target by running around the thread all "Ermegerd guiz, you're so meeean." Are you. ...are you trolling right now?

That's what I was just thinking
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    fvk6m9.gif

tumblr_n2r5s3pL3E1rznvc3o1_400.gif

kcl4s1.gif

tumblr_mjcwg9Wx9w1qasthro1_500.gif
  • molls10m
    Options
    Light - daily things like dusting, vacuuming, dishes.

Heavy - Spring Cleaning, washing the shower

I don't log any cleaning, but that's my take on it.

No, people shouldn't be rude. You did nothing to deserve being mocked. Next to every name is an arrow. If you click on it, you get the option to ignore all future posts from that person. Some people literally log in JUST to spread nastiness around, lol. Make good use of that Ignore thing and the forums become a happier and more supportive place. :)

Like this a lot, I didn't know about the ignore option, keeping that one in my back pocket. Also I agree with your version of the cleaning.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt consider it heavy cleaning unless I was moving furniture and boxes etc. I cleaned kitchen today including hauling everything out cupboards, climbing on sides to get to cobwebs etc, still consider it light. That said I wouldnt log it either as I am only set to lightly active. I do log my walking I do at work via my fitbit adjustment but even thats an underestimation as I am pulling trollies and lifitng ppl all day. I think all people are trying to point out is fine be curious and ^^^there is my definition of the difference. But if you choose to log it do it for the motivation rather than eating the cals back or you may be cheating yourself.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Someone else to attack hey guys? Must be exciting for you all.

2548121-Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Answering the question you asked:

Light cleaning: Making dinner, wiping up, picking up after the kids, straightening up piles of junk, sweeping the floor, running the vaccuum, mopping the floor. Calories burned are not really that much more than "walking around the house looking at stuff". There's no lifting and little big-muscle movement. OK, you might have to run laundry or the vaccuum up and down the stairs or move the couch, but most of the work isn't like that.

Next week when I paint a bedroom, I'm gonna call that heavy cleaning. I'd put it in the same category with raking leaves, shoveling snow, gardening, washing the car, scrubbing the moss off the deck, cleaning a year's worth of junk out of the garage, etc. That's actually a workout and you feel tired after and you could be sore the next day.

Answering the question you didn't ask and probably don't care about:

Personally, I don't log light cleaning, and I do log heavy cleaning. Light cleaning for me is an every-day activity and fits into my normal "sedentary" lifestyle. Heavy cleaning is unusual and could actually burn a lot of calories, so it's a gym substitute that day.
  • danielmbuckley
    danielmbuckley Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ac289-horizontalrunning.gif?w=500&h=260

L M A O.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have nothing useful to add!

How do I even log standing somewhere matching socks...

c289764553d97b566609f187e0a3328b.jpg

Oh yeah... I don't.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't bother logging 'light cleaning', which, to me, is a normal every day activity. I'd consider 'heavy cleaning' to be anything that I might do for an extended period of time that gets my heart rate up or causes me to break a sweat - things like scrubbing floors or moving heavy furniture.

:drinker:
  • pethelpersfindahome
    Options
    I WOULD SAY SWEETIE, IF IT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU DO DAILY OR WEEKLY THEN LOG IT AS YOU FEEL THE NEED TO. SOME PEOPLE START FEELING GOOD AND START CLEANING MORE STRENUOUSLY THEN THEY USE TO ONCE THEY START LOOSING WEIGHT. AND I KNOW WHEN I CLEAN I ACTUALLY INCORPORATE MY SQUATS AND LUNGES I MAKE IT A WORK OUT :) YOU DO WHAT MOTIVATES YOU AND HELPS YOU LOOSE YOUR WEIGHT.AND FOR ME LIGHT CLEANING IS THE DAILY STUFF I DO AND HEAVY CLEANING IS SPRING CLEANING (EMPTYING CLOSETS AND WASHING WINDOWS CLEANING THE DECK, ECT.) I SAY ...GOOD LUCK AND KEEP LOGGING :)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I WOULD SAY SWEETIE, IF IT IS NOT SOMETHING YOU DO DAILY OR WEEKLY THEN LOG IT AS YOU FEEL THE NEED TO. SOME PEOPLE START FEELING GOOD AND START CLEANING MORE STRENUOUSLY THEN THEY USE TO ONCE THEY START LOOSING WEIGHT. AND I KNOW WHEN I CLEAN I ACTUALLY INCORPORATE MY SQUATS AND LUNGES I MAKE IT A WORK OUT :) YOU DO WHAT MOTIVATES YOU AND HELPS YOU LOOSE YOUR WEIGHT.AND FOR ME LIGHT CLEANING IS THE DAILY STUFF I DO AND HEAVY CLEANING IS SPRING CLEANING (EMPTYING CLOSETS AND WASHING WINDOWS CLEANING THE DECK, ECT.) I SAY ...GOOD LUCK AND KEEP LOGGING :)

Whoa, whoa, there, such yell. :explode:
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

My eye ears are bleeding.
  • hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Insert girlswashingcars gif

Any girlswashingcars gif will do.

Heavy cleaning.

lol
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

My eye ears are bleeding.

You read with your ears?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    All CAPS not only comes off as yelling, but it makes it very hard to read. Turns a small paragraph into the equivalent of wall of text.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I don't understand this site...

I asked a simple question which I thought would have a simple answer. Hmm I guess not, as everyone decides to add their opinion on if i should log it or not - which I did not ask for.

Why are you so defensive? All the comments are really made in an effort to help you with this site and with your journey of being healthy. I agree there are a couple of comments that are way off topic, but in general people are only trying to help.

With that said, I'll try and do a better job in answering your question.

Light cleaning - all cleaning that keeps your home in tip-top shape.
    Heavy cleaning - outside windows, moving furniture (picking it up, not sliding), carrying heavy boxes, painting, etc.
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    this thread is a delight
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    All CAPS not only comes off as yelling, but it makes it very hard to read. Turns a small paragraph into the equivalent of wall of text.

Be inspired with confidence... many law enforcement agencies use a program that only does caps for their emergency dispatcher's system! That was one of the most painful interviews ever. Nothing like leaving thinking "I am sorry, I can't do this. Your program sucks." Upgrade or gtfo.
  • Kekekylene
    Kekekylene Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    fvk6m9.gif

tumblr_n2r5s3pL3E1rznvc3o1_400.gif

kcl4s1.gif

lol, I can totally hear Jenna's voice saying this
This discussion has been closed.