MFP has really changed

Options

Replies

• Texnell
    Texnell Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well said.
    BTW ..... when I clean house, I huff & puff, and sweat like a big girl. I saw someone asked about mowing as well. Anything that raises my pulse, gets me to sweating, and I maintain it for a measurable amount of time is exercise worth logging ...IMHO. :flowerforyou:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I've been here for years but only this year did I use the online resource rather than the mobile app (no free wifi in Uni dorms). To be honest I was shocked with how nasty parts of the community on here are and try to keep away from it as much as possible, I only come on when something interesting pops up on my news feed thingy down the side of my home page.

Overall my impression:

Myfitnesspal = Great app.
    Myfitnesspal community = Nasty place, avoid as much as possible.

Sorry that's your experience…I've had quite the opposite. I've learned so much from these "mean" people on the forums. I wouldn't be where I am with lifting, meeting macros, or lots of other things without their advice.

You get what you give with MFP. If all you want to focus on is the negative, then that's what you'll get. For every negative thing you see, there's 50 positive things that you miss, or maybe not miss, you don't focus on because you're focusing on just the negative.

(that You in the above is a general you, I'm not specifically saying You - to who I am responding.)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I know you can't judge tone and intentions very well through text, but sometimes I get this kind of vibe from certain posts...

butthurt-o.gif
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The forums are what sold me to stick with MFP and cancel my WW membership. It wasn't what anyone said to me but I lurked around the boards and reevaluated my own goals based off of what I read. I get the feeling that my list of people who give awesome advice filled with common sense and science is very similar to other's mean people list.
  • clayswife13
    clayswife13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    WOW....just wow.....

Let me first say that the post she is referring to actually just wanted to know people's opinion on what is "heavy" and what is "light". Some of the remarks she got were very rude and she was not asking about just dusting a mantle. She had spent all day doing heavy cleaning in her house, sweeping, moping, scrubbing bathrooms, ect. On days that I do heavy cleaning in my house all day where I am on my feet 4-5 hours busting butt and sweating like a pig I log heavy cleaning too...mind you not for the entire 4-5 hours but at least 45 minutes because I know I at least burned those calories. I don't think this site has changed though. I was on last year (under a different name for those who are going to comment that my time says March 2014) and would get angry by some of the things people were posting. I know some of them were just trying to give good advice but it was in the delivery of it. When you type something you have to take in concideration the way it is going to come across to the other person. One reason I don't like e-mail or text message is because a LOT of times arguments are started because someone took somethin someone else said the wrong way. Good advice does not have to come across as snarky or B*&^chy.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree that a LOT of people on here are mean. But just read the news today-seems like the majority of the people on Earth are full of 'tude Think there's something in the water. Bunch of Blue Meanies.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I TOTALLY agree!! I have been on here since (maybe 2008) and I am appalled at the responses! I will refer to my topic "body image".

Every ones story is different so I don't know what all the high and mighty "I know all because I lost weight" attitude is! If you don't have anything nice to say then go sit down and be quiet!!
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out why people think it's productive to put so much thought and effort into logging mundane activities as exercise when they could just use that extra time to work out more. :ohwell:
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I've been here for years but only this year did I use the online resource rather than the mobile app (no free wifi in Uni dorms). To be honest I was shocked with how nasty parts of the community on here are and try to keep away from it as much as possible, I only come on when something interesting pops up on my news feed thingy down the side of my home page.

Overall my impression:

Unless you feel the need to add your input.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze how many people confuse honest with mean and blind enabling with supportive.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I TOTALLY agree!! I have been on here since (maybe 2008) and I am appalled at the responses! I will refer to my topic "body image".

Every ones story is different so I don't know what all the high and mighty "I know all because I lost weight" attitude is! If you don't have anything nice to say then go sit down and be quiet!!

Oh, I remember that.. That thread was a great example of reactions of someone who didn't get the responses they wanted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1431764-body-image
  • heftybelson
    Options
    More importantly What is cleaning?
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I know you can't judge tone and intentions very well through text, but sometimes I get this kind of vibe from certain posts...

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

i-shake-my-hairbrush-at-you.gif
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Overall my impression:

You should go over to forum.bodybuilding.com/ I hear they are much friendlier over there. Make sure you got in the Misc. section and talk about how much you can bench.
  • Megan101792
    Megan101792 Posts: 3,194 Member
    Options
    While I do agree with the OP, its an online website...Everyone is different. Who cares. Avoid those parts you don't like, like I do.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

i-shake-my-hairbrush-at-you.gif

Or even

tumblr_ma3vgk138j1qzihejo1_500.gif
  • persistentsoul
    persistentsoul Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Just next to peoples user name is a little blue triangle, I click on that and select ignore user every time I read something i think is mean or willfully unhelpful. I then never have to read that persons comments again on any thread. I think that is a great feature of this site. There are still lots of kind helpful supportive people here though:smile:
    May as well just click my triangle now if you haven't already.

Nope, not clicked you as I can still read this post. Not mean enough :tongue:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    WOW....just wow.....

Let me first say that the post she is referring to actually just wanted to know people's opinion on what is "heavy" and what is "light". Some of the remarks she got were very rude and she was not asking about just dusting a mantle. She had spent all day doing heavy cleaning in her house, sweeping, moping, scrubbing bathrooms, ect. On days that I do heavy cleaning in my house all day where I am on my feet 4-5 hours busting butt and sweating like a pig I log heavy cleaning too...mind you not for the entire 4-5 hours but at least 45 minutes because I know I at least burned those calories. I don't think this site has changed though. I was on last year (under a different name for those who are going to comment that my time says March 2014) and would get angry by some of the things people were posting. I know some of them were just trying to give good advice but it was in the delivery of it. When you type something you have to take in concideration the way it is going to come across to the other person. One reason I don't like e-mail or text message is because a LOT of times arguments are started because someone took somethin someone else said the wrong way. Good advice does not have to come across as snarky or B*&^chy.

The thing with what she was asking no one can tell because heavy v light cleaning is different to each person. I didn't see ONE person actually be mean to the OP.

Also, people may be blunt and honest =/= rude/mean. No one can predict how anyone will perceive anything and everything they say. If people were to sit around considering how everyone else will perceive what they wrote I promise you no one would right anything.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Nope, not enough cat gifs

giphy.gif
    adorable-animal-gifs-lion-daschund.gif
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-13397-1370010536-30.gif
    cute-animal-pictures-kitten-huge-eyes-animated-gif.gif
  • midvalesfinest
    Options
    The DBs have a tendancy toward snark and dogpiling. Dont take it personally. Roll with it. Ask your friendlist if you are sensitive.