MFP has really changed

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I TOTALLY agree!! I have been on here since (maybe 2008) and I am appalled at the responses! I will refer to my topic "body image".

Every ones story is different so I don't know what all the high and mighty "I know all because I lost weight" attitude is! If you don't have anything nice to say then go sit down and be quiet!!

Are some people honestly unable to see the blatant hypocrisy in their own words? I mean this sincerely. Is it like how some people are color-blind? That some people are hypocrisy/irony-blind?
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    I started on this site for the first time about three years ago. At that time it was a wonderful place to get motivation and support. I found a lot of nice and helpful people. This site is suppose to be about supporting each other, but more and more I see people being less supportive and just down right mean. Some users seem to have an attitude that they are better because they have been a successful where another user wasn't as successful or is taking just a little more time.
    I have read multiple post today where a person asked a simple question and they were ridiculed for it. One poor girl simply asked what was the difference between light cleaning and heavy cleaning. That's all she wanted to know, but there were post after post about how she shouldn't log cleaning. It's not anyone's right to tell another person what they should and shouldn't log. If I decided to log "walking to my fridge to get a snack" it's no one's business but my own.
    I think some users are forgetting the reasons for a site like this. I also want to make it clear that I'm saying "some users", because there are still a lot of genuinely nice people on here.
    We all need to be kind to one another. Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you. For the ones that have been overweight and out of shape remember where you have come from and how you felt in the beginning.
    It shouldn't matter if you are morbidly obese, too thin, or have never had an issue. We are all here for the same reason and that's to be the best us we can be. So, as I said before be kind to one another or you're disrespecting the site, the members, and yourself. It's fantastic to look good but real beauty still comes from within.

I TOTALLY agree!! I have been on here since (maybe 2008) and I am appalled at the responses! I will refer to my topic "body image".

Every ones story is different so I don't know what all the high and mighty "I know all because I lost weight" attitude is! If you don't have anything nice to say then go sit down and be quiet!!

Oh, I remember that.. That thread was a great example of reactions of someone who didn't get the responses they wanted.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1431764-body-image

Oh was that the one where a few people said they love their bodies and she called them liars?

The one where she said she didnt care what anyone thought, but had body issues because she cared what everyone thought ...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    I've been here for years but only this year did I use the online resource rather than the mobile app (no free wifi in Uni dorms). To be honest I was shocked with how nasty parts of the community on here are and try to keep away from it as much as possible, I only come on when something interesting pops up on my news feed thingy down the side of my home page.

Overall my impression:

Myfitnesspal = Great app.
    Myfitnesspal community = Nasty place, avoid as much as possible.

Sorry that's your experience…I've had quite the opposite. I've learned so much from these "mean" people on the forums. I wouldn't be where I am with lifting, meeting macros, or lots of other things without their advice.

You get what you give with MFP. If all you want to focus on is the negative, then that's what you'll get. For every negative thing you see, there's 50 positive things that you miss, or maybe not miss, you don't focus on because you're focusing on just the negative.

(that You in the above is a general you, I'm not specifically saying You - to who I am responding.)

But if the "you" was specific, you'd be talking about someone who had made 6 posts in the last 31 months.

I know we're all different, but I would be reluctant to criticize an entire community when I hadn't personally tried to demonstrate the behavior I expected to see in others...or even actually participated in it at all.

Maybe my you should have been user specific.

Because it is interesting the ones that have the hardest time with the forums tend to be the ones that don't post much, don't interact. They complain about how the forums are, but they don't actually try to help people either. Not like the ones here that are day in day out helping.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    OP is probably best off looking to their friends list for the answers to her questions - at least they 'know' each other... Questions thrown out there for random answers from anyone who wants to post will likely not actually be answered, just opined on. But it makes for interesting reading and gifs...

ETA I love the caracal kitten licking the lion cub
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I know you can't judge tone and intentions very well through text, but sometimes I get this kind of vibe from certain posts...

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

i-shake-my-hairbrush-at-you.gif

Or even

tumblr_ma3vgk138j1qzihejo1_500.gif

Sometimes, though, they make me do this

rdlol.gif

*nod nod* I know I've run into a few where I'm...

c1f44a010529bfdfe6962a0bf6b9a212.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    I will lose all faith in humanity if this rolls.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member

Oh, I remember that.. That thread was a great example of reactions of someone who didn't get the responses they wanted.

Oh was that the one where a few people said they love their bodies and she called them liars?

I remember that one. OP said it was hard to deal with the different ethnic stereotypes of how women's bodies should be, people responded saying not to let it bother you, have the body YOU want and are happy with, and OP went all crazy.
  • _HeartsOnFire_

Are some people honestly unable to see the blatant hypocrisy in their own words? I mean this sincerely. Is it like how some people are color-blind? That some people are hypocrisy/irony-blind?

I think they are blind…they say the traits that annoy you the most in others are the ones you are most guilty of.

I do find it funny she's telling people to be nice and sit down when she called others liars in her own thread.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member

Yes.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    I know you can't judge tone and intentions very well through text, but sometimes I get this kind of vibe from certain posts...

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

Or even

rdlol.gif

yup.gif
  • PikaKnight
    To all the ladies who need a lift (especially mothers)
    http://todaychristian.net/never-felt-pretty-looks-mirror-didnt-expect/

And all you guys don't get nuthin'!!!

But seriously...wut :huh:
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member

Yes.

x2
  • PikaKnight

I remember that one. OP said it was hard to deal with the different ethnic stereotypes of how women's bodies should be, people responded saying not to let it bother you, have the body YOU want and are happy with, and OP went all crazy.

It got worse when those of the same ethnic background/mix came in with different experiences + said to focus on her and not stereotypes.
  • tabicatinthehat
    tabicatinthehat Posts: 329 Member
    But isn't being more successful at something basically the definition of "better"?
  • PikaKnight

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

Or even

rdlol.gif

yup.gif

BEEBEEE.gif
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member

User Deactivated.

jlrs2015 has deactivated their account.

Way to go, guys. :huh:
    Of course. Their job is done here.

Yup, the community got trolled successfully by the OP with the burner account.
  • _HeartsOnFire_

no-thanks.gif?w=500&h=282
  • I know you can't judge tone and intentions very well through text, but sometimes I get this kind of vibe from certain posts...

butthurt-o.gif

and others are like this

Or even

rdlol.gif

yup.gif

BEEBEEE.gif

hjNTZB0.gif
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member

This is cool. It reminds of an article where mothers describe themselves and then see how different their children describe them. It's awesome.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Most of us have all been in the same situation and for the few of you that have always been fit and use the site to keep track of your fitness then you need to understand that it doesn't come as easy to some as it does to you.

I think this is the biggest misconception out there on MFP – that people who have never been obese are some different species of human that have remained fit because they are just naturally in shape and it “comes as easy”. Absolutely not. I am have remained fit over a long period of time because I work hard and put my fork down when I know that I've eaten enough. At the same time, countless people around me have not done that, and eventually had to deal with the consequences. You have two choices: to control your eating impulses on a daily basis or indulge in them and then engage in damage control after the fact. Neither option is easy, but the former is much more preferable.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand that it is a big accomplishment to lose a lot of weight – but to have gained all of that weight, you went through a long period of time where you let yourself go and just ate and drank whatever you wanted while I didn't. You were sleeping at 5:00am while I was out running or in the gym. Sustaining these habits long term does not “come as easy”