Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

I don't know where to start. And I hope I don't get a ton of hate because these are just my thoughts and I feel so strongly about them because it comes just from common sense. But if you ever google weight training and fat loss or cardio and weight loss... You will see an over abundance of articles telling you that if you just lift weights & build muscle, you're going to magically watch fat fall off your body! Your metabolism will be so much better that you won't have to do anything else (except diet).

I'm not a biochemist but let's start with some common sense here. I think that this is very bad information. Cardio used to be the choice of exercise, weight lifting used to be bashed into the ground. Athletes were advised not to become too ''muscle bound'' or it would slow them down. Women were told to stay away from weights as far as possible. Now it's the exact opposite. If you do any search on google regarding cardio, you're going to run into a bunch of crap articles that basically hold up a CARDIO DANGER sign on ever page. What is up with this? Realistically people, who is doing too much cardio? Who even has time to do TOO much cardio? In 2014 aren't we supposed to be a little bit smarter than this? Who is perpetuating all these myths?

One thing you hear trainers say online is ''Cardio, Cardio, and more Cardio is not the answer to fat loss! It's a myth!'' Really? It's a myth? Since like 1980? I think it's more of the truth and that every single person on this planet is now getting brainwashed that they should do less cardio and move less in order to lose weight. It probably makes them feel better too, because they don't want to put in the time or they don't have the time.

Then we have all these gurus talking about how if you lift weights, it's the holy grail of weight loss. Really? Every single person is saying that in this day and age, just the same way that people used to sell you eating lots of carbs and NOW they sell you on eating nothing but protein! Well the protein myth I'm afraid to say is the same thing as this new weight lifting craze.

Let's talk about weight lifting. Many experts have established that a pound of muscle will not burn an extra 50 calories a day. It will burn 6 calories a day at rest! Even if it is burning more than 6 calories at rest, you have to realize that gaining any substantial muscle is not as easy as you think, no matter how hard you are lifting. And to make matters more interesting, it's even that much more difficult to build muscles while you're at a caloric deficit. And to make matters even MORE interesting, when you lose a lot of weight, your metabolism is going to slow considerably ANYWAYS regardless of how much weights you are lifting. So at best, you might be earning yourself a few extra calories a day from your hard earned muscle. This is why those few trainers will suggest to lose fat before building muscle. It's twice as hard to do two things at once.

I mean realistically how much better do you think your metabolism is running with your weight lifting? Unless you're burning hundreds and hundreds of more calories, then the only way weight lifting is going to work for getting results is if it is accompanied with diet/ and or exercise. And trainers already know this. So what makes weight lifting special metabolically if you're going to have to diet anyways, especially if you aren't exercising? Not to mention it's gonna be quite harder to put on substantial muscle mass while you're dieting, plus women can't put on pounds and pounds of muscle, maybe a few pounds at best.

Plus it's been established that weight lifting does not burns tons and tons of calories after you work out. Your body burns a certain amount of calories while it's repairing itself. There is nothing miraculous about the metabolic effects of weight lifting. I mean come on, let it go. For years weight lifting was thrown into the mud and now it's the holy grail of fat loss and cardio is thrown into the mud. Who is behind all of this?

And this may shock you, but people who claim to do tons of cardio and not lose weight, might not actually be doing ENOUGH cardio. Yea, 60 minutes of easy walking on the treadmill is not going to do very much, unless you are just starting!! How are they doing too much cardio when you have athletes training 5 hours a day at a high intensity? It just doesn't make any sense! You're not going to die from high cortisol if you run to your mailbox or walk around your block either! You think walking along the beach is actually going to harm you and make you fatter? That's what trainers are trying to tell you and we have to be smarter than that. This bad information is coming from somewhere.

All these myths that trainers are trying to expose (first of all are not hardly myths anymore since noone even believes them or follows) may actually be what you should be doing more of! The problem is people that need cardio will shy away because they think cardio is a myth and since it's not that realistic to put on a ton of muscle while n a caloric deficit, and even if you did, it's not going to burn many more calories, why are people falling for this? You think people with 30, 40, or even 100 pounds to lose need to put on tons of muscle mass in order for their metabolism to destroy the fat? Not going to happen. Someone who weighs 400 pounds already has a ton of muscle mass just from being alive and their metabolism is high just from being alive! Who made this up?

Is weight lifting severely overrated? I think it gets WAAYYY more credit than it deserves. This was not meant to bash weight lifting. I think that weight lifting has certain benefits but it's more of an accessory and humans are not UNHEALTHY because they don't pump iron enough, think about that. It's the same thing as you NEED MORE protein! No, you don't. Not really.

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    TL;DR

Most of my weight was lost with a moderate (TDEE-80%) calorie deficit and a 4 day/week weight training program with minimal cardio.

Weight lifting for FAT loss is not a myth at all. For "weight" loss...possibly...depending on your diet.

But coming from a different side of things...why does it matter to you what exercise people are doing? Exercise of any kind will burn calories. Weight training will keep your muscles strong and prevent muscle loss while eating a deficit... Pondering if any exercise (performed safely) shouldn't be done by people seeking weight loss seems illogical.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    DYEL?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    TL;DR

if you don't want to retain as much lean mass as possible, no ones twisting your arm :wink:
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I wouldn't compare how long an idea has been around for to whether or not it is a myth, remember in the 1980's fat was the root of all evil and needed to be eliminated from your diet. Look how wrong that turned out to be.

Now this is just my opinion but seeing pictures of results from my MFP friends and on the open forum has me pretty much convinced that lifting heavy helps retain muscle while dropping fat (although according to an article by Lyle McDonald genetics has a lot to do with the ratio of fat to muscle loss/gain and we can only influence it with exercise and diet).

It stands to reason from my point of view that if two people are in the same calorific deficit one doing cardio and the other lifting weights, if lifting weights helps retain muscle then more fat must be lost as a result.

There is a place for both though and I think cardio comes into its own for heart health (what it says on the tin really) lung capacity etc
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    I think you are missing the point entirely. One of the main benefits of weight lifting at a deficit is to MAINTAIN not gain muscle mass, so you can look better at a higher weight and not have to lose as much scale weight. Honestly, your post is badly structured, with a less than organised argument, no sources to back up your own claims and shows you as someone that still has a lot more research to do on the subject. That said, I believe for our health and wellbeing both cardio and a resistance work should be included in ones routine, if of course, the individual enjoys the activity and can perform is safely.
  • OfficialDSXIII
    OfficialDSXIII Posts: 91 Member
    The myth is one being better than the other. Do both. Enjoy.

:)
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    methinks this will be a **** storm.
  • Weight lifting is not for weight loss. It's for maintaining lean muscle while you lose weight.
  • Smamfa
    Smamfa Posts: 139 Member

Exactly:)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Yes!
    Weight lifting is not for weight loss. It's for maintaining lean muscle while you lose weight.
    And yes again!

The main myth flying around is the wild claims being for adding minimal amounts of muscle burning a load of calories. Really it's going to make a marginal difference.
    Remember that trainers need to make a living so fashion comes into it, it's hard to be the hot new trainer on the block just talking commonsense.....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    TL;DR

if you don't want to retain as much lean mass as possible, no ones twisting your arm :wink:

this! :drinker:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Let's break this down for you...

A calorie deficit is for weight loss. That's it...end of discussion.

Any exercise, cardio, weights, HIIT etc is for health and fitness.

Any exercise can help make your current calorie intake lower but you can't out exercise a "bad diet"...meaning if you are eating too much and doing some exercise that doesn't mean you are gong to lose weight...

For example..maitenance is 2500...you are eating 3000 exercise and burn 300 calories...you are still in a surplus..you will gain weight.

or

Maitenance is 2500, eating 2800 burn 300 calories..you will maintain...that's it.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    wow.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member

This.. Started a C25K course this summer. Really really enjoyed it and even though we are all running 5k now, we still meet 3 times a week as a group to keep up our running. Its social and its free.

I do need to loose weight badly, but I'm not in that place as yet to log food and get organised. But I am fitter.

I have had numerous people tell me that I shouldn't bother running as if I lift weights I'll loose the weight and cardio is doing nothing for me.. Its as if they feel I'm wasting time I could be spending lifting weights..

I'm seriously proud of myself for actually completing the C25k course, really proud that I am running 5k 3 times a week and really proud that I have got over my breathing issues when it comes to fitness.

I have no bother with people lifting weights. If that's what you enjoy, go for it. But I don't have the cash to join a gym, I don't have the facilities at home without buying weights and my running is free.

It's the belief that me running is so totally worthless to my weight loss / fitness goals that annoys me.

Just saying. :smile: :ohwell:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    add me to the list of TL;DR beyond the first 2 loooong paragraphs :blushing:

To be fair, I read everything, but have begun to lose patience with multiple paragraphs that illustrate the same point OP is frustrated with -__- Sorry OP :flowerforyou:

Some unsolicited advice....shorter posts & straight to the point please.
    Focus :wink:

That being said, diet for weight loss, exercise for fitness.
    End of story.

I think you should put down the internet for a bit too.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    CfdMr95.jpg
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Interesting reading.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    So please tell us how you lost all your weight and got fit.

I know how I did it but you seem to disagree.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Weight lifting is not for weight loss. It's for maintaining lean muscle while you lose weight.
    This