Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• smetka01
    smetka01 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I do both. About 2,5 hours of weight lifting + resistance training and about 4 hours of cardio per week (which I prefer). And I am starting to love my body! Still losing weight and starting to see muscles everywhere.

I would say do what you like to do. Only weightlifting would make me stop long ago. Don't like it :( But cardio I love. And still I am seeing changes.
  • Deadlay
    Deadlay Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I lift for strength and run for endurance. I didn't know I had to pick one.
  • Kane68
    Kane68 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    IMO exercise of any kind is a very poor method to losing weight. Exercise is great for your health and has many other beifits. I do a lot of exercise and always have, but it has not kept me thin, i use exercise as a way to eat a little bit more and to mitigate the effects of dieting. The amount of people that go for a long walk and then "reward" themselfs with a slice of cake. My advice, it's easier to not eat the cake than do the exercise. Exercise is for good health not weight lose.
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    In so I can follow the discussion. This should be interesting.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yes some is ok but too much will not help with weightloss. Cardio is best for weightloss.

29509743.png

How so? A caloric deficit is best for weight loss. Say you have a deficit of 750 cals/day and do 1hr of cardio/day why would you lose more than if you have a 750 cals deficit and weight train??? (with the cardio you will be able to eat more and maintain the same deficit) How much of your weight loss was fat vs. muscle? and imagine what you BF% would have been at your goal weight had you lifted the whole time? (it would be much lower than it is now, due to the retention of more of the muscle you already had)

The weight lifting with the 750 cal deficit would lead to the same weight loss, but a higher % of that weight loss will come from fat, the cardio only option a lot of the weight loss will come from lean muscle, this is more prominent the less you have to lose.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    JO6cva5.jpg

ya know, just offering this as an alternative.

huge, HUGE walls of opinions are a much better fit for a blog or group or something. You can feel as strongly as you want about whatever you want, but the second you hit that submit button... then it's free game.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Cardio will burn your muscles off along with the fat.

I think you've confused yourself with everything you have read.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:

Um. Read his profile. He's lost more than 100lb. You... ?

Ad hom helps no-one.

This site is packed full of people who lost by cardio and deficit. Lifting and deficit. Deficit all by itself.

I think most of us can agree that a blend of lifting and cardio, with calorie control, is the way to lose weight and improve health.

I don't see why it's at all controversial.
  • Mnecka
    Mnecka Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. If you have a Endomorph, cardio has to be a major part of your regiment with some weight training. But your diet will always be a key factor regardless.
  • erickirb
    Options
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:

Um. Read his profile. He's lost more than 100lb. You... ?

That doesn't mean he did it the best/most efficient way. It means he found something that he could stick to, which is great, but maybe he could have been a lower BF% at this weight had he lifted the whole time.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    JO6cva5.jpg

ya know, just offering this as an alternative.

huge, HUGE walls of opinions are a much better fit for a blog or group or something. You can feel as strongly as you want about whatever you want, but the second you hit that submit button... then it's free game.

Straight up tears!!! Can't stop laughing.

OP you say every single person is saying to lift weights and don't do cardio yet I haven't seen one person in this thread say that. So I'm gonna go ahead and say that you're wrong. There's no reason people can't do both or just eat at a deficit if that's what they choose.
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    As long as you are eating at a deficit calorie wise you will lose weight. Exercise is for strength, endurance, stress reduction etc. and to the extent it adds to a deficit is adds to weight loss. While it is best to do a combination of cardio and weight lifting if you are doing either you are doing the body good. I do think the debate about only cardio or only weight lifting as ideal (and people saying one of the two is useless) should be put to rest. Also the poster, overstates this since most MFPs agree that both are good. The degree to which you concentrate on one or the other is a matter of personal goals - as well as finding a plan that you will stick with and enjoy.
  • Lottiotta
    Lottiotta Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that weight lifting during weight loss is important so you don't lose muscle along with the fat - but I got all that from these forums, so, pinch of salt and all that.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    tldr.jpg
  • erickirb
    Options
    It really depends on your body type. If you have a Endomorph, cardio has to be a major part of your regiment with some weight training. But your diet will always be a key factor regardless.

Endomorph and other 'morphs have been debunked... it was a psychologist of some sort that came up with these, not someone familiar anatomy and how the body works. You just need a deficit to lose weight
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Dude...WAY too long for the forums. Start a blog.

^5
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
    3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
    4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
    5. 90% of the time: A lie.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."
  • mamafazz
    mamafazz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    What about the EPOC effect from lifting heavy weight? Supposedly that can last 24-48 hours after a heavy lifting session. BTW, I am female, have been lifting heavy for the past 2-3 weeks and my weight is increasing!!! WTF! Only by a few pounds, but I doubt being female I could have gained 2 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks. I am staying at my required calories, which aren't very much btw, 1200 according to mfp and I'm starving!! Where's the weight loss?? Anyone have any insight?? I would love to have some advice.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
    3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
    4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
    5. 90% of the time: A lie.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

Thread hijacking is against the TOS. If you want to lecture people maybe start your own thread.