Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
    3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
    4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
    5. 90% of the time: A lie.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

Tl;dr
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    So much TL;DR in this thread. I'm bored. Did anyone bring donuts?
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Cardio will burn your muscles off along with the fat.

I think you've confused yourself with everything you have read.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.

Cardio will what? Burn your muscles off along with the fat??

That's a new one...
    when I a deficit you burn both muscle and fat. If you only do cardio that ratio is whatever it is. If you add strength training you are signaling to the body that the muscle is needed for more than just fuel. At this point the body changes what it burns to be more fat and less muscle.

It's kinda if you don't use it you'll lose it.

Yeah, what I'm saying is, I don't think this is true. At least, not for moderate amounts of cardio. Marathoners, sure.
    You don't think it's true that we burn muscle while in a deficit?
  • ryanwood935
    ryanwood935 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If I may summarize your post... some trainer told you "lifting weights is the bomb, yo! " And another trainer high fived him and agreed. They both chuckled at you and asked, "Do you even lift, bro?" You swore off weights a source of evil, and this is where you vent the frustration.

Seriously though, lifting is what it is. It's not going to cure cancer. It's there to make you stronger and look better. Bonus points for doing cleans w/ grandma's deteriorating body at Thanksgiving with the family. Oh, and that thing...you called it cardio? Yeah, this cardio you speak of is pretty cool. too.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    You kind of start of and explain it all in your second paragraph you are completely uniformed.

Which trainers are you speaking with? I've seen 1-2 in going on 3 years that actually seem to know what they are doing. I do know allot of trainers who know how to get to snap city though.

From my personal experience and using myself as the subject.

I lost 100lbs in 8 months with out doing a lick of cardio and only lifting weights. I lost another 72lbs in 6 months when I incorporated cardio 3x per week. (I only started cardio because i was at the 99lb lost mark and wanted to see 100lbs lost)
    I've put on muscle while on calorie deficit
    I've have and wear a HRM while lifting weights on average calorie burn within that hour+ is 1300-1600 calories...(I've seen over 2k calories burned) I'd suggest you do try this but I don't think you'd put in any effort.

Your body continues to burn calories after lifting in order to rebuild its self.... when doing cardio you only burn calories while doing cardio (unless doing HIIT which is recommended as it's similar to weight lifting)

Anyways welcome to the internet there is allot of information here, it's not always true and asking the internet if the internet is true wont work for you either. You are an individual you aren't the same as me, so what works for me isn't going to necessarily work for you. find your own way but start taking those steps towards your goal.

Congrats on your progress!! Please keep in mind that HRMs are nowhere near accurate for weight lifting you are more than likely only burning less than half what it shows. The reason is HRMs are designed for cardio using HR as an estimate of intensity and oxygen uptake. This oxygen uptake does not occur or not nearly in the same manner with strength training as it does cardio. HRMs also give you total calories burned, including maintenance which you would have burned had you not worked out at all (usually 1-2 cals/min).

And your bolded section is not accurate either.... a caloric deficit will work for everyone to lose weight, and strength training will increase the amount of muscle you retain. The amounts of retention, and fat loss will also be dictated by by genetics, diet, and workout program
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.

That's a new one...
    when I a deficit you burn both muscle and fat. If you only do cardio that ratio is whatever it is. If you add strength training you are signaling to the body that the muscle is needed for more than just fuel. At this point the body changes what it burns to be more fat and less muscle.

Yeah, what I'm saying is, I don't think this is true. At least, not for moderate amounts of cardio. Marathoners, sure.

No, it will burn your muscles along with fat. Might not burn all of them, but you'll lose some muscle while doing just cardio. Plenty of threads have been started on here about being 'skinny fat' because the person did nothing but deficit and cardio.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    My butt looks better when I squat so that's really all the proof I need.

But in....in for the gif funnies.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    No, it's not a myth. Do us a favor and read a book.

Second, do what you will stick to. Period.

Third, I have lost 43 pounds doing primarily weight lifting. It's not just the pounds, it's also the 8% body fat I have lost. That makes a significant difference in one's overall health.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

That's a new one...

No, it will burn your muscles along with fat. Might not burn all of them, but you'll lose some muscle while doing just cardio. Plenty of threads have been started on here about being 'skinny fat' because the person did nothing but deficit and cardio.

From what I understand, you lose muscle when you diet, no matter what you do. If I lose 65 lbs, there is no way that's going to be pure fat.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That's a new one...

From what I understand, you lose muscle when you diet, no matter what you do. If I lose 65 lbs, there is no way that's going to be pure fat.

Yes, you will lose both, but if you strength train while losing you won't lose so much muscle.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

That's a new one...

Yes, you will lose both, but if you strength train while losing you won't lose so much muscle.
    thus the lifting to maintain more LBM while cutting!!
  • TMM211073
    TMM211073 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I didn't do any weight work until I'd lost about 4 stone (56lb) and now I still do more cardio than weight work, because to be honest I really don't enjoy it, I find it mind numbing.... But that is just me.

I have seen some changes in my appearance since starting the weight work, whilst I was just doing cardio I was losing weight, but not really changing shape, now my shape is gradually improving, due to the weight work.

Weight lifting is for fat loss, not weight loss, you're reducing your body fat percentage by increasing your lean muscle mass, THAT is the point of weight work.

xXx
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I dont care WHAT is all over the news: I don't really care that George Clooney is getting married.
    They can't make me.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options
    I didn't do any weight work until I'd lost about 4 stone (56lb) and now I still do more cardio than weight work, because to be honest I really don't enjoy it, I find it mind numbing.... But that is just me.

I have seen some changes in my appearance since starting the weight work, whilst I was just doing cardio I was losing weight, but not really changing shape, now my shape is gradually improving, due to the weight work.

Weight lifting is for fat loss, not weight loss, you're reducing your body fat percentage by increasing your lean muscle mass, THAT is the point of weight work.

xXx
    in a deficit you are not increasing muscle mass by lifting, you are decreasing muscle loss. But yes it is what changes your bf%
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    K0QPWo5.gif
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    CfdMr95.jpg

Yup
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

I hear people with superiority complexes have a harder time shedding the pounds. Something about the cortisol build-up from getting bent out of shape frequently.

You should try adding in yoga. That may help you meet your goals.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

8. Total failure at #7.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

I hear people with superiority complexes have a harder time shedding the pounds. Something about the cortisol build-up from getting bent out of shape frequently.

You should try adding in yoga. That may help you meet your goals.

Poster got so stressed out to bring up slang dictionary. LOL
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose fat.

Do cardio for your health.

Lift to look hot.

/thread
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    You should probably take a look at the people on my FL. A lot of them lift heavy, and look amazing as a result. Weight lifting, especially for women, is great for body recomposition. My GF is a prime example. She has a side by side of her where her weight is exactly the same, but on one side she's a size 12, the other side, a size six. Hard to say weight lifting is a myth.