Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
    3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
    4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
    5. 90% of the time: A lie.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

I hear people with superiority complexes have a harder time shedding the pounds. Something about the cortisol build-up from getting bent out of shape frequently.

You should try adding in yoga. That may help you meet your goals.

Poster got so stressed out to bring up slang dictionary. LOL

I think it's funny either urban dictionary or she said that it's meant tongue in cheek and not to get your knickers in a twist...yet isn't that what she then did?
  • hellokathy
    hellokathy Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    And I hope I don't get a ton of hate

Yeeeeaaaahhh...nope!
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose fat.

Do cardio for your health.

Lift to look hot.

/thread

LOVE THIS ONE!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit to lose weight.

Do cardio for your health.

Lift to look hot, and retain muscle to lower BF%

/thread

fixed it for you (deficit is for weight loss) some of that will be fat, some will be muscle and other LBM
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    And I hope I don't get a ton of hate

Yeeeeaaaahhh...nope!

I don't think anyone here has actually hated on it yet, just dispelled it as silliness.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

if you don't want to retain as much lean mass as possible, no ones twisting your arm :wink:

^ nuff said
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

I hear people with superiority complexes have a harder time shedding the pounds. Something about the cortisol build-up from getting bent out of shape frequently.

You should try adding in yoga. That may help you meet your goals.

Poster got so stressed out to bring up slang dictionary. LOL

I think it's funny either urban dictionary or she said that it's meant tongue in cheek and not to get your knickers in a twist...yet isn't that what she then did?

I was going to ask what TL;DR meant so at least she answered that question for me :smooched:
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I feel like people are going to bash on this without really understanding your meaning.

My thoughts - yep, weight lifting is overrated for the average Joe (I'm thinking non-competition weight lifters who don't aim to get super big just because) - other than for those people who love it. That's because they've found their favourite exercise and will stick to a workout plan, hence keeping fit! You will burn calories while lifting weights, and once they show in the way that you were aiming for you're going to feel great because you feel like you look great (and probably do!).

Cardio is great, it will help to burn those higher calories and help you on a day to day basis with your calorie goals. I personally like cardio because it also helps me stave off hunger (I'm randomly less hungry after doing a cardio workout). I also think there are a lot of heart and lung benefits that are particularly emphasized in cardio exercises that can be hard to find elsewhere unless you're lifting very heavy or very quickly (which... would just be a cardio exercise haha).

I personally think both types of exercises have their place and the benefits and consequences. It's up for each individual to decide which mix of exercise is most useful for them.

And lets face it. You have to watch your diet no matter if you do weights or cardio.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

8. Total failure at #7.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

seriously
    *Forest Whitaker eye*
    TL;DR
    cue Oh Nooooes

ethmjaU.gif
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    200.gif
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    My butt looks better when I squat so that's really all the proof I need.

But in....in for the gif funnies.

Exactly. I love me some cardio and I run several times a week.

But give me a bar and some heavy weights and I'm a happy girl because I want a nice butt. And nice legs. And nice arms, etc, etc, etc.

OP - I think you are making this way too complicated.
  • hookilau
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Cardio will burn your muscles off along with the fat.

I think you've confused yourself with everything you have read.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.

Cardio will what? Burn your muscles off along with the fat??

That's a new one...

I suppose you've never heard of cardio being catabolic in certain scenarios?
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    <--- Ate at a calorie deficit and lifted heavy 3x week with no cardio and the fat came flying off while I maintained muscle mass by eating a reasonable amount of protein. And it did not leave me supah bulky.

Now... where's all the gifs?
  • AnneCoolbreze
    AnneCoolbreze Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My goal is to try to do cardio, weight training, plyo, agility, and stretching. Not all even amounts but balanced to help me be well rounded.

Bottom line is do what you need to to reach YOUR goal. And don't do anything to lose weight that you won't continue to maintain your weight-loss. JMHO
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    What about the EPOC effect from lifting heavy weight? Supposedly that can last 24-48 hours after a heavy lifting session. BTW, I am female, have been lifting heavy for the past 2-3 weeks and my weight is increasing!!! WTF! Only by a few pounds, but I doubt being female I could have gained 2 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks. I am staying at my required calories, which aren't very much btw, 1200 according to mfp and I'm starving!! Where's the weight loss?? Anyone have any insight?? I would love to have some advice.

It's water retention from just starting a heavy lifting regimen within the last 2-3 weeks.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.

That's a new one...

Also gluconeogenesis happens multiple times over the course of a day......without moving a muscle.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

That's a new one...

glecosegenesis
    not something the casual cardio bunny really has to worry about.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If I may summarize your post... some trainer told you "lifting weights is the bomb, yo! " And another trainer high fived him and agreed. They both chuckled at you and asked, "Do you even lift, bro?" You swore off weights a source of evil, and this is where you vent the frustration.

Seriously though, lifting is what it is. It's not going to cure cancer. It's there to make you stronger and look better. Bonus points for doing cleans w/ grandma's deteriorating body at Thanksgiving with the family. Oh, and that thing...you called it cardio? Yeah, this cardio you speak of is pretty cool. too.
    I died.

Best post in here.

But yeah, everyone has already covered it: OP completely missed the point and took way too much time doing so.
  • hookilau
    Options
    You have been a member a month and suddenly your the expert. My advice is to get ofvthe internet and hit the road doing your cardio. Leave others to their own methods.:flowerforyou:

Um. Read his profile. He's lost more than 100lb. You... ?

That doesn't mean he did it the best/most efficient way. It means he found something that he could stick to, which is great, but maybe he could have been a lower BF% at this weight had he lifted the whole time.
    I agree with the first post...he's been here a month...and posts this????

I've lost 60lbs...so does that qualify me to question what he is saying????

Doesn't matter how much someone has lost, losing 100lbs and over doesn't qualify them as an expert on anything other than their own personal experience. It's the research that is put into their posts esp if it's about something like this...and this post alone let's us know he really didn't do a lot of checking on his thoughts...to ensure he is on the right track. Which he isn't btw.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but this may help put things into perspective. If I remember correctly, OP recently re-started MFP about 2ish months ago I think.

I remember the original post, because it was *just* as long haired & OP lost that 100#'s by doing VLC & a ridiculous amount of exercise.

He had a similar zig zag post remarking about whether or not it was healthy because he eventually fell off the wagon & e-gained it all.

OP; If my memory is off, I apologize. However, I remember that popped collar clearly :wink:
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I did read your entire post. I wouldn't comment otherwise. I think you may have been a little extreme in some of you conclusions, but I do agree with you in some aspects. I hadn't heard that lifting was the new holy grail. I've always heard and still do hear that cardio will burn off the most calories and thus contribute the most to weight loss. What I've heard about strength training isn't so much that it will make you lose weight more easily as that it will make you LOOK BETTER as the weight comes off. The reason is that you don't tend to lose muscle as much if you are weight training while dieting. That leaves you with a leaner, stronger body when it's all done. That said, here is my personal philosophy about such things:

For me the equation for weight loss is simple, EAT LESS, MOVE MORE. I love to run. Cardio is my go-to exercise because I believe it is the best way to burn calories and frankly it makes me feel better overall. Strength training for me is more of an "icing on the cake" part of the equation. I do that 3 days a week and very much like the look and feel of my muscles as they slowly (far too slowly) strengthen and tone, but honestly, it's mostly about vanity. I am under no illusions that strength training is contributing significantly to my weight loss. I fully believe that the MAIN component to weight loss is diet. No amount of exercise (Marathoners and triathletes excepted) of any kind is going to work off eating a cheese cake for breakfast every day. Really...we can talk about more protein or less carbs or more or less fat, but the easy and simple way to look at it is just don't eat too much. It is the calories that count. That said, I am trying to just keep a healthy balance of carbs/fat/protein, but I'm not too stressed if the proportions get a little out of whack.

I mentioned that I love to run. My main motivator to lose weight is to help me run better. Until my recent injury (likely due to weight), I was running as much as 20 to 30 miles a week, and not losing any pounds. That's because I was eating tons of calorie rich foods. Exercise of any kind is not a stand-alone answer. Diet can be. But the combination is far and away the best way to go. Exercise helps tons, and it definitely contributes to better overall health and a better look, but it can't be the answer on its own.

Like I said, Eat less, Move more.

Note: Edited to correct typos/grammar