Calories from cooking with olive oil?

Hi -- when you sautee something with olive oil, do you count all of the calories from the olive oil? For example, add 200 calories if you cook something in 2 tablespoons of olive oil? I think the answer is yes, but that's kind of a painful waste of calories!

Replies

• sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    You must.

Or do what I do and use olive oil cooking spray.
  • swoodco
    swoodco Posts: 14 Member
    Yes, I do count all calories from the added olive oil.
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Yes you count them. The calories don't disappear by cooking. However, I don't know anything that needs 2 Tbs of olive oil to cook. I usually use 1/2 or 1 Tbs.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Yes you count them. The calories don't disappear by cooking. However, I don't know anything that needs 2 Tbs of olive oil to cook. I usually use 1/2 or 1 Tbs.
    Yeah, 2T of olive oil for a single serving of something is an awful lot. If you're making a meal for a family of 4, 2T ends up being a much more manageable number of calories per serving.

I agree with using non-stick spray like Pam. Even though it adds calories by virtue of being oil, you almost always end up being less of it because it's easier to spread around.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Hi -- when you sautee something with olive oil, do you count all of the calories from the olive oil? For example, add 200 calories if you cook something in 2 tablespoons of olive oil? I think the answer is yes, but that's kind of a painful waste of calories!

well, what do you think happens to the oil that you use to fry stuff with? Yes, some stays in the pan and you could measure what is left and subtract it from your total oil, but I just add the whole lot cause I can't be bothered.
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    yes it is so sad olive oil is full of calories and fat. God save us :D I used to put olive oil even on bread and in my tomato salad Iwould put at least 3 tablespoon. that's why I am here :D bye bye olive oil ahuahau
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    I do count the calories, I usually use .5 of a TBS per meal I cook. Good fats are good and you shouldn't cut them out entirely. I think counting them is wise, it's a calorie dense food after all.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

well, what do you think happens to the oil that you use to fry stuff with? Yes, some stays in the pan and you could measure what is left and subtract it from your total oil, but I just add the whole lot cause I can't be bothered.

Yep. A bit OT but I was really thinking of this very experiment yesterday. Weigh pan with oil and items to be fried separately. Weigh plate and paper towel on which fried items will be set. Weigh pan after frying and soaked plate/paper towel when done to determine oil retention from frying so I know exactly how off my 1 tbsp retention estimate is. Would need a super accurate scale, though. Mine's only accurate to 1g. I've been frying strips recently since they hit the spot, I can control how many strips I fry, and I'm not tempted to buy fast food where I usually come back with a bunch of extra foods I didn't plan on!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    yes it is so sad olive oil is full of calories and fat. God save us :D I used to put olive oil even on bread and in my tomato salad Iwould put at least 3 tablespoon. that's why I am here :D bye bye olive oil ahuahau

fat is not the enemy - you need it!!

it would be hard to calculate how much you actually use as a lot will be left in the pan. some will transfer to the food, but not all.
    slightly different topic, but I wouldn't cook with olive oil. try coconut oil or butter/ghee instead if you need to cook with something...
  • MissSaturday
    MissSaturday Posts: 784 Member
    yes that's right!. I still use it sometimes olive oil but since I don't it fry food I still didn't encounter that problem! Usually when I cook peas or other veggies I put 2 tblspoons inside but then i eat 300gr out of 1kg so I just log in 1 teaspoon each time i have same. Then if i cook tomato sauce I put 1 tablespoon and usually it is like 2 potions so I still log in 1 teaspoon. When i want to eat potatos I buy them frozen, weight them and i put them in the oven. I eat easy food and I honestly can't stress myself to weight pans, plates, papers etc :D I still like the cheaps in the oven so don't have problems. If need to fry a bit some food I use the untistick spray the one 1 cal per spray and problem resolved :D
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Lol no the weighing idea is to figure out if any estimates used in frying oil retention (not sautéing or adding olive oil to food) is way off. If the experiment shows that retention is really 3 tablespoons when I estimated 1/2, then I'd know I have a problem and need to either ditch the fried stuff or estimate differently
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    They make an oil mister that you can buy to put your own oil into. Then it would be like "pam" but you choose the oil.
  • sirrdk
    sirrdk Posts: 12 Member
    I use 1tbs of olive oil when I make pancakes.
    So for every pancake, I have to use 1, as the oil disappears when I make pancake number 2, and so on.
    (If I don't add some oil/fat for every pancake, then they'll burn)

For every pancake meal, I'll end up making 5 pancakes, meaning that 5 tbs had been used.

So, when I'm putting this info in my MFP diary, should I add "5 tbs olive oil?
    Because that's about 600 calories, which is insane!!!
    Some of the oil gets in the food and some don't, I hope.

So how many percent of that added oil gets wasted and how much gets in my food?
    Please advise :)
  • moondrake
    moondrake Posts: 37 Member
    edited July 2015
    It depends on what you are cooking and at what temperature, and how absorbant the food is. If the food is absorbant, like pancakes, then you will be eating all that oil. If the food is moist like most vegetables and adds water when sauteed to the oil rather than absorbing it, and if you eat only the vegetables and throw away that delicious juice then you'll be eating very little of the oil. If you are frying on high heat, then the oil will seal the food so only a little is absorbed. That's the secret to good frying, to preheat the oil till it is hot enough to sear the food on contact and seal it. So there are a lot of variables.
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    yes, you count that too. these are good fats. olive oil is not good for frying.