Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    You do your thing and I will do mine. Mine consists of a calorie deficit, weight lifting and minimal cardio. I prefer it that way. :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

I was thinking the same thing. Recently I read a post equally as long that was packed full of good scientific information and the OP was praised by all for it. I don't really understand the double-standard where length is concerned.

Some are interesting to read, some; not so much.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

I was thinking the same thing. Recently I read a post equally as long that was packed full of good scientific information and the OP was praised by all for it. I don't really understand the double-standard where length is concerned.

It's not a double standard. They are completely two different things. One is actually full of good solid information backed by science and research, the other is just some guy saying, "it seems to me that weight lifting is bad..." Blah, blah, blah. It isn't interesting, there is no draw, it is extremely poor writing...I feel like I'm reading air. It's just nothing. The content is useless. I learn nothing, I gain nothing. It's just a big black hole from which I can never get that time back. A scientific study that dives into detail can be extremely illuminating and could completely change how I exercise or what I eat for the rest of my life.

So, it's not a double standard at all. They are different things, completely.

Ummm....If it was TL (Too Long): DR (Didn't Read), then how would someone know how well it was written? I agree that it was not written terribly well and was full of unsubstantiated declarations, but many people (not all) said they didn't read it because it was too long. If their problem is content or quality of writing, then TL;TD is not the appropriate response.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    923strawman.jpg
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    Options

It's not a double standard. They are completely two different things. One is actually full of good solid information backed by science and research, the other is just some guy saying, "it seems to me that weight lifting is bad..." Blah, blah, blah. It isn't interesting, there is no draw, it is extremely poor writing...I feel like I'm reading air. It's just nothing. The content is useless. I learn nothing, I gain nothing. It's just a big black hole from which I can never get that time back. A scientific study that dives into detail can be extremely illuminating and could completely change how I exercise or what I eat for the rest of my life.

Ummm....If it was TL (Too Long): DR (Didn't Read), then how would someone know how well it was written? I agree that it was not written terribly well and was full of unsubstantiated declarations, but many people (not all) said they didn't read it because it was too long. If their problem is content or quality of writing, then TL;TD is not the appropriate response.
    You can skim to look for cues that there is actual info beyond that of the posters opinion. At that point you TL;DR or go back and read a post of substance.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

You can generally tell from the first few paragraphs and skimming the post if it's something worth reading.
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options

You can generally tell from the first few paragraphs and skimming the post if it's something worth reading.

Ok, I get it. TLDR doesn't really mean Too Long Didn't Read. It means Skimmed, Not Worth Reading In Detail. Just like LOL doesn't really mean Laughing Out Loud.

Getting a little off point now....I think I'll move on...LOL.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

From Urban Dictionary: "too long; didn't read." really means: (meant tongue in cheek don't get your knickers in a twist reading this, but yea I still think it is rude and childish).

1. The inability to accept, understand or pay attention to information when not separated by a header.
    2. The ability to arbitrarily read 400 small posts but not a long one.
    3. A sign of ADD or lack of reading capability.
    4. A very cheap response and an indication of lack of wit.
    5. 90% of the time: A lie.
    6. A desperate attempt at a comeback used by people who just can't think of one.
    7. Usually used by people who've been torn apart verbally but want one last attempt at looking witty.
    8. Total failure at #7.
    7. A sign that, not only is someone too lazy and stupid to read but, clearly, too lazy and stupid to even type out four words indicating such.
    9. Collect every "tl,dr" post online, and you'll have a good estimate of the number of lazy idiots on Earth, who currently have Internet access.
    10. Should really be:
    "Too Lazy, Don't Read."

Thread hijacking is against the TOS. If you want to lecture people maybe start your own thread.
    I love how she comes in to lecture people for not reading the entire post and yet doesn't bother to add anything of value to the conversation herself.

Cute.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    In for the TL;DR discussion. It's easier to follow than the meanderings of the OP.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    In..

Since I did read the OP plus the 6 pages (currently) to follow.

What am I doing with my life?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    In..

Since I did read the OP plus the 6 pages (currently) to follow.

What am I doing with my life?

Being entertained I hope
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    ^^It has been entertaining. I gotta give it that. Props OP!
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Must be full moon.....crazy people!!!

OP: see ticker below.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Just weight lifting alone whilst still eating the same isn't going to get you anywhere...I don't think there's any information out there suggesting that.

I believe pretty much everyone should know by now, as well as the "experts" that a calorie deficit is what's required to lose weight. Now without exercise, such as lifting, you will be losing muscle and fat. What alot of people are trying to say is that lifting whilst losing weight will preserve muscle as it's not that what you need to lose.

Cardio will burn your muscles off along with the fat.

I think you've confused yourself with everything you have read.

Athletes train for 5 hours because that is their job/career....everyday people that have worked an 8-10 hr day on top of other general everyday chores/duties will find running for more than a couple of hours daily too much.The body can only take so much.

Cardio is good for the heart, but cardio alone won't lose you any weight if your diet isn't in a deficit.

Cardio will what? Burn your muscles off along with the fat??

That's a new one...
    when I a deficit you burn both muscle and fat. If you only do cardio that ratio is whatever it is. If you add strength training you are signaling to the body that the muscle is needed for more than just fuel. At this point the body changes what it burns to be more fat and less muscle.

It's kinda if you don't use it you'll lose it.

Yeah, what I'm saying is, I don't think this is true. At least, not for moderate amounts of cardio. Marathoners, sure.

No, it will burn your muscles along with fat. Might not burn all of them, but you'll lose some muscle while doing just cardio. Plenty of threads have been started on here about being 'skinny fat' because the person did nothing but deficit and cardio.

From what I understand, you lose muscle when you diet, no matter what you do. If I lose 65 lbs, there is no way that's going to be pure fat.
    I have been unable to lose any weight in the last five years and in fact have gained 30 pounds despite counting calories, eating what for 99.9% of people should be a deficit and exercising, mostly cardio and a LOT of running up very steep hills.

My lack of weight loss is likely due to an undiagnosed thyroid issue that is FINALLY being addressed (I suspect Hashimoto's, but it is unconfirmed at this moment).

However, when I added serious weight training to my routine, even though I was still getting bigger, my body definitely changed. I have fat that likes to sit on my hips and makes my butt look oddly square. That was getting smaller and smaller. My SHAPE was changing in all the good ways, even if it wasn't solving my other problem.

That is enough to convince me weight lifting is important and will give me results I want, above and beyond the cardio (which I will still do because it has its own benefits and I enjoy it).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    Any fad diet, extreme approach to exercise, etc. will temporarily assist with weight loss, but that's due to the calorie deficit. And NO PROGRAM works for weight loss without calorie deficit.
    What weight lifting will do is help with composition and how you look while you lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • GreatGuy07
    GreatGuy07 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I always put it like this: With only cardio you will lose weight and it will make you the smaller version of you now. With weights you will be more defined. Now if you strike a balance of this depending on your weight loss goals, you can achieve fat loss and muscle definition ad the two primary goals. So, my advice to you is with so many contradicting research and stuff, its best to try it out and see what works for you. Also, any one on any routine can plateau. Diet is still king. I am def not an expert but this is working for me.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Most of my weight was lost with a moderate (TDEE-80%) calorie deficit and a 4 day/week weight training program with minimal cardio.

Weight lifting for FAT loss is not a myth at all. For "weight" loss...possibly...depending on your diet.

But coming from a different side of things...why does it matter to you what exercise people are doing? Exercise of any kind will burn calories. Weight training will keep your muscles strong and prevent muscle loss while eating a deficit... Pondering if any exercise (performed safely) shouldn't be done by people seeking weight loss seems illogical.

Agreed!

OP... Spoken like someone that hasn't actually DONE any weight lifting. I lost the most weight...had the best results while I was following NROL doing VERY LITTLE cardio. Lifting 3x/week and eating at a deficit. I am a smaller size now than I was 10lbs lighter previously trying to lose weight doing cardio only. The POINT is that you avoid muscle loss. Nobody is suggesting that you're bulking up while at a deficit... but if you looked at 2 people that lost the same 30lbs.... 1 doing cardio only and 1 doing mostly lifting... the one that did the lifting is going to look leaner. How about actually doing some research for once instead of people just picking a topic and going off on a rant on their totally unfounded opinion??
  • The_WoIverine
    The_WoIverine Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Dammit, and here I thought all the exercises I've been doing lifting heavy stuff at the gym that got me to how I look today was considered weight lifting. From now on, I shall call it cardio!

I think many have already explained how this works. So I won't really go into the whole caloric deficit, muscle, cardio, weight lifting explanation thing.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    TL:AILTR,TLTB-TYFPT!=

Too long:And I LOVE to read, the longer the better-THANK YOU for posting this!

I've been working with a personal trainer for the first time in my life, they have me lifting heavy and no cardio (I'm doing cardio on my own). I haven't seen ANY significant scale weight loss at all in this entire time (9+ weeks). That said, my clothes are fitting me better and people are telling me they see a difference in my body (I don't see it). Weight lifting for all this time has helped increased my appetite (which for me is tremendous) and has given me more energy and helps me "feel" better (physically and mental clarity) too. Lastly, weight lifting has helped me with my endurance and stamina time in my cardio as well.
  • rml_16
    Options

I read the first couple paragraphs. That was enough to tell me the rest wasn't worth reading.

If you picked up a book and the first two pages were horribly written, repeated the same thing over and over and gave false information in a condescending manner, would you keep reading to find out if it was worth reading?