Is weight lifting 4 weight loss becoming the new Myth?

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Is the OP coming back?

8 trolls out of 10?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Is the OP coming back?

8 trolls out of 10?

OP ain't coming back.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Far too much TL;DR going on here and I think that response is unnecessary, juvenile and rude. If you can't be bothered to read the entire post then your response is irrelevant, start your own thread instead.

I was thinking the same thing. Recently I read a post equally as long that was packed full of good scientific information and the OP was praised by all for it. I don't really understand the double-standard where length is concerned.

It's not a double standard. They are completely two different things. One is actually full of good solid information backed by science and research, the other is just some guy saying, "it seems to me that weight lifting is bad..." Blah, blah, blah. It isn't interesting, there is no draw, it is extremely poor writing...I feel like I'm reading air. It's just nothing. The content is useless. I learn nothing, I gain nothing. It's just a big black hole from which I can never get that time back. A scientific study that dives into detail can be extremely illuminating and could completely change how I exercise or what I eat for the rest of my life.

So, it's not a double standard at all. They are different things, completely.

Ummm....If it was TL (Too Long): DR (Didn't Read), then how would someone know how well it was written? I agree that it was not written terribly well and was full of unsubstantiated declarations, but many people (not all) said they didn't read it because it was too long. If their problem is content or quality of writing, then TL;TD is not the appropriate response.
    I read the first couple paragraphs. That was enough to tell me the rest wasn't worth reading.

If you picked up a book and the first two pages were horribly written, repeated the same thing over and over and gave false information in a condescending manner, would you keep reading to find out if it was worth reading?

Not only that but I kept in mind the OP's pasts posts and remembered how biased he is on this topic.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    The myth is one being better than the other. Do both. Enjoy.

:)
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    This is the most consistent thing about MFP: people who hate cardio are going to post data on how cardio isn't necessary. People who hate lifting are going to post data on how lifting isn't necessary. People who hate both are going to post data on how exercise isn't necessary, only dieting.

Quit looking for objective reasons not to do things that you hate doing. If you don't want to lift, don't lift, I'm sure that developed muscles will just mysteriously develop on your body and you'll look spectacular.
  • gymrat6069
    Options
    I was 55 pounds over weight 5 years ago and had enough after trying every diet/fast under the sun. I decided I was going to get in shape and get healthy. I read articles about how weight training along with cardio would boost my metabolism and help me lose weight. I started in January 09 and by July 09 I was down to 135 pounds and wearing a bikini. It is not a myth! I felt absolutely fantastic and had the body of a 20 something at 40 something with three kids. I kept it off for four years just by doing cardio and weight training until last December when I severely broke my toe and couldn't work out and then had a major surgery which took me off exercising again :( Needless to say I put back on a lot of weight. *UGGH* I have been slowly getting back in to the gym and it's always a process starting up again. Need to stay motivated but going to do cardio this week and start increasing my weight training next week. I would never try to lose weight again without cardio along with weight training. I have never gotten the results and health that I did by eating a 1200 calorie a day diet with my workouts.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    exercise for weight loss is a myth...diet for weight control, exercise for fitness. Weightloss is all about consuming less energy (calories) than your body needs to maintain the status quot...exercise can be beneficial to weightloss in that it increases your body's energy requirements...but it isn't necessary for weightloss.

A good, well balanced fitness regimen is going to include elements of both cardiovascular work and resistance training...they're both really good for your overall health and well being.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    This is the most consistent thing about MFP: people who hate cardio are going to post data on how cardio isn't necessary. People who hate lifting are going to post data on how lifting isn't necessary. People who hate both are going to post data on how exercise isn't necessary, only dieting.

Quit looking for objective reasons not to do things that you hate doing. If you don't want to lift, don't lift, I'm sure that developed muscles will just mysteriously develop on your body and you'll look spectacular.

Nailed it!
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    Options
    TL;DR, but in for gifs.

32pDUo.gif

This is my new second favorite gif (couldn't beat that cat looking at itself in the mirror, lol)!
  • MarcoRod
    MarcoRod Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Type less. Exercise more.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Most of my weight was lost with a moderate (TDEE-80%) calorie deficit and a 4 day/week weight training program with minimal cardio.

Weight lifting for FAT loss is not a myth at all. For "weight" loss...possibly...depending on your diet.

But coming from a different side of things...why does it matter to you what exercise people are doing? Exercise of any kind will burn calories. Weight training will keep your muscles strong and prevent muscle loss while eating a deficit... Pondering if any exercise (performed safely) shouldn't be done by people seeking weight loss seems illogical.

Agreed!

OP... Spoken like someone that hasn't actually DONE any weight lifting. I lost the most weight...had the best results while I was following NROL doing VERY LITTLE cardio. Lifting 3x/week and eating at a deficit. I am a smaller size now than I was 10lbs lighter previously trying to lose weight doing cardio only. The POINT is that you avoid muscle loss. Nobody is suggesting that you're bulking up while at a deficit... but if you looked at 2 people that lost the same 30lbs.... 1 doing cardio only and 1 doing mostly lifting... the one that did the lifting is going to look leaner. How about actually doing some research for once instead of people just picking a topic and going off on a rant on their totally unfounded opinion??

This is what the OP says about himself on his profile page...

"I love to climb stairs in the bay area, I love to walk, I love weight training, I love riding my bike.." .

Obviously it is in conflict with his statements written here.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    In..

Since I did read the OP plus the 6 pages (currently) to follow.

What am I doing with my life?

Don't feel alone...I read it also.

What did I do with my life???

First in case the OP was right...I tried to talk myself out of weight training and cardio both.

Then...

In case the OP was wrong...I did 30 min weight training and 30 min cardio.

Now...

I will try to eat at a deficit today.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    But if you ever google weight training and fat loss or cardio and weight loss... You will see an over abundance of articles telling you that if you just lift weights & build muscle, you're going to magically watch fat fall off your body!

You're WAY too hung up on bad advice from anonymous sources, and sources who want to sell you something.

Learn to read the science and you'll never have questions like this again. "Asking google" isn't good enough to learn ANYTHING. Everything on Google has a source. You need to learn to figure out whether a source is credible or BS. Your local library probably teaches classes on how to tell the difference (it's called 'Information Literacy').

Here's a science-backed plan to reach your goals:

1) Lift. It's good for your muscles and joints.
    2) Do cardio. If you want to get bigger, do a little cardio because it's good for you. If you want to get smaller, do a lot of cardio.
    3) Eat. If you want to get bigger, eat TDEE + 20%. If you want to get smaller, eat TDEE -20%.
    4) Sleep. It's good for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    But if you ever google weight training and fat loss or cardio and weight loss... You will see an over abundance of articles telling you that if you just lift weights & build muscle, you're going to magically watch fat fall off your body!

You're WAY too hung up on bad advice from anonymous sources, and sources who want to sell you something.

Learn to read the science and you'll never have questions like this again. "Asking google" isn't good enough to learn ANYTHING. Everything on Google has a source. You need to learn to figure out whether a source is credible or BS. Your local library probably teaches classes on how to tell the difference (it's called 'Information Literacy').

Here's a science-backed plan to reach your goals:

1) Lift. It's good for your muscles and joints.
    2) Do cardio. If you want to get bigger, do a little cardio because it's good for you. If you want to get smaller, do a lot of cardio.
    3) Eat. If you want to get bigger, eat TDEE + 20%. If you want to get smaller, eat TDEE -20%.
    4) Sleep. It's good for you.

#1 is also good for bones (increases bone density) and to increase functional strength.

#2 does not make sense, other than that is is good for you. You can do as much cardio as you want to get big or small, it will depend on if your are eating TDEE+ or TDEE - . Cardio does not factor into this at all, except that it will increase your TDEE, so you get to eat more to lose the same amount
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Didnt take the time to read even all of the first post let alone the responces.

Since Jauary I've lost 26 pounds, that entire time I have been lifting weights (ranging from 25-160 pounds depending on the body part). So basically, it's possible, AND it yeilds more attractive results then cardio alone.
  • DeeJayShank
    DeeJayShank Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by maintaining a deficit... not by lifting weights... not by doing cardio.

You don't have to exercise to be in a deficit.

That being said, a marathon runner eating maintenance and a weightlifter eating maintenance look completely different.

So you tell me: are cardio and lifting really exactly the same? Doesn't take any science to figure this out.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I think a few people are being unnecessarily defensive and assuming the OP made an across the board assault on weight lifting. Especially some who said they didn't even read it.

I think the question the OP asked is a legitimate one. Is lifting for loss the new 'myth'? You don't need to be a fitness expert or a long time lifter or have a lot of weight loss to have your ear to the ground on this. In fact, those new to changes to diet and exercise may hear it more often as people are constantly trying to give them advice. And as somebody said the other day, come January all the beliefs will come flooding in.

And if there's one thing nearly everyone on MFP can agree on, its that there is a LOT of bad advice out there.

So as I read the question, and a few of the sentences, I heard your question. Is this the new rage in diet advice: lift and you'll be skinny? Fair question, allowing people to chime in whether or not they keep hearing this. But, OP, you lost me, and clearly many others, through the rest. Your question got lost and muddied in a long statement that lifting is not good for weight loss. Why ask one question if you're only going to answer a different question?
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Most of my weight was lost with a moderate (TDEE-80%) calorie deficit and a 4 day/week weight training program with minimal cardio.

Weight lifting for FAT loss is not a myth at all. For "weight" loss...possibly...depending on your diet.

But coming from a different side of things...why does it matter to you what exercise people are doing? Exercise of any kind will burn calories. Weight training will keep your muscles strong and prevent muscle loss while eating a deficit... Pondering if any exercise (performed safely) shouldn't be done by people seeking weight loss seems illogical.

Agreed!

OP... Spoken like someone that hasn't actually DONE any weight lifting. I lost the most weight...had the best results while I was following NROL doing VERY LITTLE cardio. Lifting 3x/week and eating at a deficit. I am a smaller size now than I was 10lbs lighter previously trying to lose weight doing cardio only. The POINT is that you avoid muscle loss. Nobody is suggesting that you're bulking up while at a deficit... but if you looked at 2 people that lost the same 30lbs.... 1 doing cardio only and 1 doing mostly lifting... the one that did the lifting is going to look leaner. How about actually doing some research for once instead of people just picking a topic and going off on a rant on their totally unfounded opinion??

This is what the OP says about himself on his profile page...

"I love to climb stairs in the bay area, I love to walk, I love weight training, I love riding my bike.." .

Obviously it is in conflict with his statements written here.

The fact that someone lifts doesn't mean that he/she does not also believe it isn't effective for weight loss.

The OP is completely wrong, but so is your logic.