HELP!!!!!

Options

Replies

• Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Considering most days you barely eat 1200 calories, i suspect you have some malnutrition occurring. Since you dont have much weight to lose, you should be increasing your intake, especially foods that are high in fats and nutrients. It's very common to have skin or hair issues when you arent getting adequate fatty acids. So bump up your intake by another 300 calories and make it come from fats, veggies and fruits.

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that. My Dr, whom I trust 1000000% says I am NOT malnourished, and that I do not need to adjust or bump my intake. He has seen all of my logs and has been monitoring my weight loss closely.

I looked at your diary too, I agree you don't eat enough.
    As stated in many posts I have seen in the past doctors are not qualified nutritionists. In fact most know Jack about it.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    in fact he did bloodwork to rule out thyroid or other health issues.

Do you know what tests he ran? Did he do a full panel (including antibodies) or did he just look at TSH?

Stress can cause this, or poor diet as well. Are you getting enough fat, all the vitamins and minerals you need?

EDIT: I've read a little more and it seems you think "MD" means God.

My TSH came back more than double what it should have been at my physical last month. My doctor re-ran it twice and it was normal both times. He says "that's impossible." However, my friends who have had thyroid issues for decades and my friend who is a lab tech all said it's common and normal. I had to demand a referral to an endocrinologist. I'm almost certain this issue began at least five years ago and my DOCTOR (who has an MD) didn't catch it because most know very little about endocrinology.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Considering most days you barely eat 1200 calories, i suspect you have some malnutrition occurring. Since you dont have much weight to lose, you should be increasing your intake, especially foods that are high in fats and nutrients. It's very common to have skin or hair issues when you arent getting adequate fatty acids. So bump up your intake by another 300 calories and make it come from fats, veggies and fruits.

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that. My Dr, whom I trust 1000000% says I am NOT malnourished, and that I do not need to adjust or bump my intake. He has seen all of my logs and has been monitoring my weight loss closely.

I looked at your diary too, I agree you don't eat enough.
    As stated in many posts I have seen in the past doctors are not qualified nutritionists. In fact most know Jack about it.

Sorry I missed the post about your dr being a qualified nutritionist too. My Bad :blushing:
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options

I think you need to loo at my logs a little closer. I'm usually alot closer to my goal than that.

I did look, i am suggesting your goal is low. As you become smaller, you need to have a smaller goal. If you exercise, you need to eat more calories. If you want, post your height, weight, age, workout routine and if you have medical issues and we can help evaluate your goal.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal,
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal, and
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal.

Also, I see your edits, how much education has your dr. had in nutrition? I have had several friends that are doctors and none of them have the knowledge i do.

Sorry dearie, but until you have an MD after your name, I'm going to keep trusting my Dr... Actually, I have been seeing a team of Dr's over the past few years over some health issues (now almost completley resolved) and they all say I'm doing exactly what I should. My primary care physician DOES have plenty of education in nutrition. Thats part of the reason I see him. My oldest sister also saw him before she had gastric bypass surgery, and she chose him based partly on his education in nutrition. She had heard all kinds of horror stories about Drs that were not well versed in nutrition attempting to treat GB patients post surgery and they had no clue about the pre and post op requirements of said patients. So yeah, I'm on that.

As for your request for more info... I'm 5'6", 176.8 (as of this morning), active (I golf, shoot archery competitively, hike, canoe, and am generally quite active, but I LOATHE going to the gym. Too many lunks), I do have PCOS (a mild case) and endometriosos (both of which are managed quite nicely with an IUD). Anything else I missed?

So if you are not willing to take advice from others on a forum, especially who are experienced, why even ask a question. This type of response suggest you are not willing to take that advice, especially since I am not a doctor? In fact, I barely know anyone on here who is a doctor. But hey, I am only providing you with my experience through thousands of threads.

Also, since you have PCOS, I am rather surprised you don't follow a LCHF diet. Generally, that is one of the first things OBGYNS/Endocrinologist suggest, even if you don't have

I have tried the LCHF diet before, and the side effects were, to put it mildly, unpleasant. It was NOT a good option for me. I would have ended up in prison if I had stayedon it because I was probly going to hurt someone... lol just kidding, but it was not a good diet for me, and was far too restrictive for me to maintain long term. I never said I wouldn't take advice from folks here, Heck if I weren't open to at least a little advice, I would never have posted this thread in the first place.

I guess I just get tired of people telling me to eat more, eat more, eat more, when eating more is what made me FAT to begin with. I don't want to go back to that. EVER. I'm still seeing good results, and my Dr's all say that I'm going about it the right way for someone of my age, weight, build, etc. In fact, I had originally wanted to lose 100 pounds but my Dr told me that he thinks 85 would be a healthier goal for me based on my level of muscle, activity, etc.

The hair loss is a product of my weight loss. I know that. I stressed my body out by losing 70+ pounds. I get that. It will take time for my body to readjust. I am cool with that. I just wanted to know if there was something I could do to help the process.... Besides shoveling more food in my face hole.

I do appreciate your input, but reserve the right to choose what advice to follow, based on what is workign for me, what my Dr says, and what I feel is right for me. It's no offense meant towards you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The hair loss is a product of my weight loss. I know that.

Then why are you asking us?
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    in fact he did bloodwork to rule out thyroid or other health issues.

Do you know what tests he ran? Did he do a full panel (including antibodies) or did he just look at TSH?

Stress can cause this, or poor diet as well. Are you getting enough fat, all the vitamins and minerals you need?

EDIT: I've read a little more and it seems you think "MD" means God.

My TSH came back more than double what it should have been at my physical last month. My doctor re-ran it twice and it was normal both times. He says "that's impossible." However, my friends who have had thyroid issues for decades and my friend who is a lab tech all said it's common and normal. I had to demand a referral to an endocrinologist. I'm almost certain this issue began at least five years ago and my DOCTOR (who has an MD) didn't catch it because most know very little about endocrinology.

NOPE. MD does NOT =GOD to me or to any other rational human being.

Yes, he ran a FULL panel, not just TSH. I have a copy of it at home, but have not commited it to memory as yet... :) He wanted to rule out other hormonal issues as well nutritional problems as well. Everything came back clean.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    WOW, folks I appreciate the comments, but if you RE-READ my original post, I was asking if there was something I could do to help slow the loss until it starts to regrow. I know what is causing it.

Please don't attack if you don't want to take the time to read.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    I have thinning hair from thyroid issues and just found this product by Rusk called Thick. You spray it all over your hair after shampoo/conditioning and style as normal. I have long hair and actually had to reduce the amount I was using b/c it made my hair seem too thick. Maybe that will help along with what you already do. Also, there are products for womens thinning hair. The brand name is Nioxin. Check Amazon or salons. Hope they help!

I'm going to see if I can find some of that to help plump up my hair until it starts to regrow again... Thanks!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I think you should try upping your calories a bit. When I was doing the 1000-1200 calories thing (WAY before MFP), I ended up having issues with my hair falling out, being cold all the time, lost my period, and was extremely tired. I wasn't eating enough (especially enough fat), so my hormone levels ended up being screwy (estrogen way too low, testosterone randomly up and down) and I also ended up screwing up my thyroid. I saw my dr and my nutritionist, and after years of upping my calories, my body has FINALLY gotten back to normal. Just a thought anyway. Maybe just increase by 100 calories here and there to see if it makes a difference, or add in some higher fat items.

Also, if your hair is drier, maybe try coconut oil? It is supposed to be a great scalp and hair conditioner.

ETA: Also, I take a product that I get from Costco called Collagen by youTheory and it has been great for my hair and nails.

http://www.amazon.com/youtheory-Collagen-Advanced-Formula-Tablets/dp/B006VAZYNG/ref=sr_1_3?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1411746640&sr=1-3&keywords=Collagen
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have tried the LCHF diet before, and the side effects were, to put it mildly, unpleasant. It was NOT a good option for me. I would have ended up in prison if I had stayedon it because I was probly going to hurt someone... lol just kidding, but it was not a good diet for me, and was far too restrictive for me to maintain long term. I never said I wouldn't take advice from folks here, Heck if I weren't open to at least a little advice, I would never have posted this thread in the first place.

I guess I just get tired of people telling me to eat more, eat more, eat more, when eating more is what made me FAT to begin with. I don't want to go back to that. EVER. I'm still seeing good results, and my Dr's all say that I'm going about it the right way for someone of my age, weight, build, etc. In fact, I had originally wanted to lose 100 pounds but my Dr told me that he thinks 85 would be a healthier goal for me based on my level of muscle, activity, etc.

The hair loss is a product of my weight loss. I know that. I stressed my body out by losing 70+ pounds. I get that. It will take time for my body to readjust. I am cool with that. I just wanted to know if there was something I could do to help the process.... Besides shoveling more food in my face hole.

I do appreciate your input, but reserve the right to choose what advice to follow, based on what is workign for me, what my Dr says, and what I feel is right for me. It's no offense meant towards you.

I can understand that about LCHF as it doesn't work for me as well. But I do want to make a correction, when I tell you to eat more, I am still suggestion a deficit but not as large of one. What do you think will happen when you need to transition to maintenance? Will you not eat more? Eating an additional 300 or so calories will not make you fat. In fact, it will give you more availability of nutrients and more energy to prevent this situation. This is why i suggest an increase in fats and veggies (vitamins and minerals). This isn't the first time I have seen this and I assure you it won't be the last.

But if you know where the issue is (large deficits), why not try to slowly increase your calories (stay in a deficit) and work on adding fats, proteins and more nutrient dense foods? You are already taking vitamins and using biotin, so there won't be many more options.
  • newata
    newata Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I am a hair dresser and my best suggestions would be to continue taking the biotin. Do weekly sclap massages. Use either coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil and warm it just a touch then massage into scalp with fingertips, you can let this sit for a while before washing out. Also I do recommend Nioxin. I work with some ladies that have lost hair for various reasons and the nioxin treatment definitely works. It will cost about $45 and thats for the shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment. Make sure you use all 3 steps.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

There is nothing you can do to help the process other than eat more. If that's what is causing the hair loss then it would make sense that would be the way to slow down the hair loss. You may not like that answer but that's really the gist of what everyone is trying to say. They aren't suggesting eating more to irritate you or say your Dr doesn't know what he's talking about they are saying it because that IS the answer to your question.
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP, but the advice being given that you are wholely dismissing here IS good advice. I am 5'6" and weigh 163, have lost 25 lbs eating north of 1500 calories a day, occasionally upping to 1700-2000 for a few days just to give my body a rest from the constant deficit. (TDEE 2100) This has allowed my body enough nutrients and energy to accomplish what I want to do IRL. If your hair is falling out, and you know it is from being in a deficit, there is no product out there that can fix the actual problem. It sounds to me like you are looking for products or quick fixes to treat the symptoms, and this is not the way (I personally) would go about dealing with this.

If you really want to do something to slow the loss, give your body what it needs to keep what you have.

Again, my opinion, take it or leave it. It may not be what you want to hear, but IMHO, good advice.

Also, just another 2 cents, sometimes we look for a needle in a haystack medically, when the answers really are simpler than we think. I don't think you would do MAJOR damage to yourself by trying to up the calories to 1500 for a couple of weeks and see what pans out. I wasn't hitting my protein for a while and started working back towards it and could see and feel a difference in my body in just 2 days!

All of that said, good luck to you, I hope you find what you're looking for. :flowerforyou:
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A: Women can and do go bald all the time just like men do.

B: How do you know for sure that it's from weight loss? Did your Dr tell you that or is it a guess?

There are hair thickening products you can buy and scalp massages that you can do. I don't have any personal experience with ones that work (I do have thyroid issues and hair loss from it) but I wish you the best of luck. Perhaps I wasn't consistent enough.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In all honesty, I understand the fear of increasing your calories.... and if your MD is telling you what he see's is fine then maybe the diet is ok.

But wait.... when I actually stop and look at your diet (at least the days you have completely filled out - and yes, I'm guilty of this too, busy schedule and all) I see a lot of extra carbs that you could cut out, and add additional protein to help with your hair issues (btw, take a peak at your nails as well, do they look healthy? good pink color, no grooves, etc).

I honestly do not think you are sticking to less than 1200 calories a day (and I'm not saying that to be mean), looking at today alone, the bacon entry is incorrect today, but a few days ago it was correct (and I went to the actual product website to get the information, not the MFP listing).

Another thing I noticed, your sodium level is through the roof most days, and I think part of that could be a lot of processed foods (egg beaters are great as Low Cal, but sodium count, not so much).... that much extra sodium could actually be causing your body to fight injestion of the nutrients since you are on a LCD. The fruits and veggies are lacking, some days you have a bit, then other days not so much. This will also help with nutrients as well as helping to keep you satiated.

these are just a few suggestions I have.... Cause lets be honest here for a moment, I get that you are really only looking to find a product to help your hair, but you can spend thousands of $$'s, but if there is an underlying issue not corrected, that money is just going to be flushed down the toilet!

Please stop and consider that maybe some of the advice here is not meant to be hurtful, or even meant to be insulting your Dr. It is coming (often times) from experience.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctors about taking a maintenance break for at least 10 days and make sure you get enough nutrients. Weight loss is not a race. I have taken my time to lose weight and even than, if I do a cal cut of 500 from my maintenance calories, my hair falls out. There is nothing I can do to stop it. Nothing, no product or anything, it is just my body's reaction to my weight lost. I am trying to add more protein/vegetables to see if that helps in the mean time, but the only time it got better was during a maintenance break. Yes, you might gain some weight back, but once you got back on a cut you will lose it. You got fat by eating to much food, not by eating the proper amount of food.
  • Archerychickge
    Options

I can understand that about LCHF as it doesn't work for me as well. But I do want to make a correction, when I tell you to eat more, I am still suggestion a deficit but not as large of one. What do you think will happen when you need to transition to maintenance? Will you not eat more? Eating an additional 300 or so calories will not make you fat. In fact, it will give you more availability of nutrients and more energy to prevent this situation. This is why i suggest an increase in fats and veggies (vitamins and minerals). This isn't the first time I have seen this and I assure you it won't be the last.

But if you know where the issue is (large deficits), why not try to slowly increase your calories (stay in a deficit) and work on adding fats, proteins and more nutrient dense foods? You are already taking vitamins and using biotin, so there won't be many more options.

Yeah the LCHF was ugly for me and even worse for my husband. It got to the point where he begged me to eat some carbs... Once I did, I went back to my normal sunny disposition.... LOL

I know I should eat alot more veggies than I do even now. Before I started MFP I got 1 maybe 2 servings of veggies or fruit per day. Now I'm usually at 3 or so. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but at least I'm doing better than before. Thankfully I take a multivitamin to supplement what I'm lacking from my food. I know that's not ideal but it's still better than nothing.

I know an additional 300 calories won't make me fat. But it may slow my progress considerably over time. To give you an idea of where I started... I have always been fat. even as a child. I struggled with my weight my entire life. But it wasn't until it started really playing havoc on my health and preventing me from doing the things I love to do that I got up off my giagantic tushy and decided to DO SOMETHING about it. Enter MFP. It gave me hope. It gave me guidelines, It gave me accountability. And it gave me my life back.

So forgive me if I'm really hesitant to change up what is FINALLY working for me. Yup. I eat at a pretty significant deficit almost every day. Will I need to adjust that once I go to the maintanence routine, Sure. I'm not sure exactly how that will play out but I'll consult with my doctors and figure that out all the while using MFP to keep on track. Why? because I KNOW it works.
  • Archerychickge
    Options
    In all honesty, I understand the fear of increasing your calories.... and if your MD is telling you what he see's is fine then maybe the diet is ok.

But wait.... when I actually stop and look at your diet (at least the days you have completely filled out - and yes, I'm guilty of this too, busy schedule and all) I see a lot of extra carbs that you could cut out, and add additional protein to help with your hair issues (btw, take a peak at your nails as well, do they look healthy? good pink color, no grooves, etc).

I honestly do not think you are sticking to less than 1200 calories a day (and I'm not saying that to be mean), looking at today alone, the bacon entry is incorrect today, but a few days ago it was correct (and I went to the actual product website to get the information, not the MFP listing).

Another thing I noticed, your sodium level is through the roof most days, and I think part of that could be a lot of processed foods (egg beaters are great as Low Cal, but sodium count, not so much).... that much extra sodium could actually be causing your body to fight injestion of the nutrients since you are on a LCD. The fruits and veggies are lacking, some days you have a bit, then other days not so much. This will also help with nutrients as well as helping to keep you satiated.

these are just a few suggestions I have.... Cause lets be honest here for a moment, I get that you are really only looking to find a product to help your hair, but you can spend thousands of $$'s, but if there is an underlying issue not corrected, that money is just going to be flushed down the toilet!

Please stop and consider that maybe some of the advice here is not meant to be hurtful, or even meant to be insulting your Dr. It is coming (often times) from experience.

Yes, I stick to the 1200 calorie a day pretty faithfully. No, I don't fudge the numbers. If I did Iwouldn't have lost the weight I have because I would have slipped back into my old crappy eating habit s and just fudged the numbers. And actually that bacon entry WAS correct as I only ate part of a peice that was left over when I fixed my hubby's breakfast. I'm VERY careful to weigh and measure and log food correctly. I didn't finish logging yesterday because I had some stomach problems and my food was just shooting through my system. I could go into more detail but don't want to gross anyone out. :)

A quick fix, hmm. maybe there is some truth to that, but ultimatley I know that it's not a situation where a quick fix is a realistic option. I'll admit, it would be nice to find something that I could use, a vitamin supplement, a scalp treatment, etc that would help slow the hairloss down until my body adjusts to my new "normal", but I know that it may or may not work. Also if you knew me at all, you'd know htat the chances of me throwing away lots of $$$ on products that don't work is a bit laughable. I'm the biggest tightwad on the planet. Seriously. No... I mean SERIOUSLY.

The sodium idea is intriguing to me. I hadn't thoguht about that. To be honest I just recenlty began payig any attention to it and I was appalled by how much sodium I was consuming. Thankfully I drink LOTS of water throughout the day and even though I don't log it, I am meeting that goal. BUT, lowering my sodium intake is a good idea that I will start tracking more closely. Thank you for that.

As for cutting out carbs... see my post about the LCHF diet. I have cut WAY back on the carbs I eat since I started using MFP. do I still eat carbs? Heck yeah. I'm mennonite. But I've also adjusted the kind of carbs I'm eating too. I eat alot more whole grains than I used to and alot less processed crap. But realistically I need to be able to live and have a healthy relationship with food. If I start cutting out entire food groups I will fail at this. How do I know? Because I've done it before. I need t have a diet that is sustainable. And for me, that has to include carbs.

Thanks for your post.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    That happen to me. So when I eat more fat and protein it stopped. So now I watch my fat and protein and it okay now.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    The sodium idea is intriguing to me. I hadn't thoguht about that. To be honest I just recenlty began payig any attention to it and I was appalled by how much sodium I was consuming. Thankfully I drink LOTS of water throughout the day and even though I don't log it, I am meeting that goal. BUT, lowering my sodium intake is a good idea that I will start tracking more closely. Thank you for that.

As for cutting out carbs... see my post about the LCHF diet. I have cut WAY back on the carbs I eat since I started using MFP. do I still eat carbs? Heck yeah. I'm mennonite. But I've also adjusted the kind of carbs I'm eating too. I eat alot more whole grains than I used to and alot less processed crap. But realistically I need to be able to live and have a healthy relationship with food. If I start cutting out entire food groups I will fail at this. How do I know? Because I've done it before. I need t have a diet that is sustainable. And for me, that has to include carbs.

Thanks for your post.

For the sodium, drinking lots of water will not necessarily negate the bad parts of having too much sodium.... if you drink too much water, you could in fact be causing some of the good nutrients to flush out of your system as well, and again, with a LCD your nurtrients are not at the best levels to begin with.

I'm definitely not saying get rid of carbs, I LOVE my carbs. What I'm saying is maybe find a way to get rid of the carbs from chips and the like (your carb intake should not be more than double your protein), or at least lighten that load a bit, and keep up with the natural carbs. If you are going to do a LCD like you are determined to do, you still have to find a way to get the nutrients, vitamins are not the best way to get them. They are meant to SUPPLEMENT, not to be the entire answer. It is a really tricky balance.