Strong reaction to public humiliation = Over sensitive

Options

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    it sucks but Marines are just like that... its trained into them... believe me my husband is an active duty marine for 10 years n going.... he says things about weight/food and such that a normal person wouldn't. They r taught and trained to be better than everyone... keep your head high. and good for you for telling him off.

Uh yeah No.
    My grandfather was a retired Marine and I have at least half a dozen friends who are Marines who aren't like that.

Its just your husband. So don't lump all Marines into that please.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    btw, servicemen/women are some of the most courteous, helpful people out there. There are some twatwaffles among them, just like any other profession, but that shouldn't reflect badly on them as a whole.

Sincerely,
    Daughter of a Navy Chief

Edited: word choice
    I haven't read anything beyond the OP, but also this. SO MUCH THIS.

Just wanted to add that when I said the guy was a marine I wasn't trying to put them all in one category with this guy. It was just something about him I noted when I saw him out of the corner of my eye. Most of my family (cousins, grandparents etc) are marines. I was supposed to join when I was younger. I ruptured a disc in my back training on my own (incorrect form) because I wanted to join like all my cousins were doing. It wasn't meant to be. I spent a month on Camp Foster in Okinawa with my marine cousins for the heck of it. :) I've generally never had a problem with them being disrespectful. So just wanted to make sure everyone is aware I'm not lumping them all together.

:flowerforyou: I know you weren't ragging on them as a whole.

I was responding to the person that made the quip about "typical Marine mentality."

I honestly thought the marine bit was to add to the description of him as being attractive.

They do have the best uniforms. Mmmm, I could look at them all day.

Lost my best friend to the marines though, me and them have trust issues. Now he is a douche that sleeps around and beats his wife. trust... issues....

Edit: not saying they are all bad, just a bad personal experience.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

1. I've also noticed, as most of us have, that when someone sees a fat person buying something like donuts, chocolate, etc., then their mind immediately goes to "they have no self control." This doesn't happen when they see a thin person buying sweets.

2. He may have been genuinely trying to help. Sure, you didn't see it that way, but he suggested a way you can not only eat chocolate, but also save some calories while doing so. If you are trying to lose weight (and you are), that is helpful advice. You didn't like that a stranger gave you unsolicited advice... I get that, though some of us would actually use that information to help us regardless of the source (of course I would also fact check it to be sure).
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My ex wore his dress blues pretty much every day. The only thing better than a man in Marine Corps dress blues is a man in any kind of cammo.

My fiance is a Navy Reservist and their "everyday" uniform now is cammo -- BDs? I can't ever remember -- and it's H.O.T.
  • crepes_
    crepes_ Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Really great job in standing up for yourself! He probably felt embarrassed being called out like that, because he probably was trying to help, just like you said. You did well and you said what needed to be said. Perfect response to this guy. Hope you don't let it get to you!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You win- on both responses.

Good job- you were okay to be embarrassed- he was rude- I would have been insulted- and embarrassed to if someone did that to me!!! But you handled it phenomenally. Big props girlfriend. Keep killing it!
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

1. I've also noticed, as most of us have, that when someone sees a fat person buying something like donuts, chocolate, etc., then their mind immediately goes to "they have no self control." This doesn't happen when they see a thin person buying sweets.

2. He may have been genuinely trying to help. Sure, you didn't see it that way, but he suggested a way you can not only eat chocolate, but also save some calories while doing so. If you are trying to lose weight (and you are), that is helpful advice. You didn't like that a stranger gave you unsolicited advice... I get that, though some of us would actually use that information to help us regardless of the source (of course I would also fact check it to be sure).

I was at Target last night and got cereal for my daughter and then two bags of chips (cause we haven't had any in the house for over a month and the hubbs and I like different kinds)... I walked around looking at the Ground so as to not have to meet the eyes of those I passed who saw that fat chick with two bags of chips. Sometimes logic can't overwrite the sensitivities that society as a whole has placed around weight, but you did a great job dealing with it. Certainly better than I do.l
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Came back to this thread after it occured to me that perhaps the guy was actually trying to flirt and has like no skills in this area. I see others had the same idea as well. Just to note the last time I got picked up in a grocery aisle it was by a fireman (#humblebrag) and he had the good sense to look at the haircutting magazine I was looking at and say to me, "If you're thinking of cutting your hair, DON'T, it looks REAL nice the way it is". On a rainy day. When I had fruzzy hair. That's hair so frizzy it's fuzzy. I was also dressed like a hefty bag in sweats due to the rain but as he explained later. (on our date) "Girl I have x-ray vision for sweats and puffy jackets I knew all what was under there. And plus your hair can never look bad no matter what you may think."

#thatsflirting

Dude. Now I want to date a fireman!
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Oh give the guy a break! He's just using the personality the marines gave him

Thank you for classifying all Marines as rude. How about we turn it around and say he's just using the personality that his male chromosomes gave him? You would call it sexist and say not all men are rude. Making blanket statements like that makes you look ignorant.

Sincerely,
    A United States Marine

Boom. (Thank you for your service!)
  • LosingExtraKristy
    LosingExtraKristy Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Yea for standing up for yourself!! I hope everyone heard you put him in his place. And I love how that was the best reply he could think of. I'll bet he didn't expect that at all!

And I do not think you were being over sensitive.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    it sucks but Marines are just like that... its trained into them... believe me my husband is an active duty marine for 10 years n going.... he says things about weight/food and such that a normal person wouldn't. They r taught and trained to be better than everyone... keep your head high. and good for you for telling him off.

I'm a Marine and I'm not like that. Thanks for lumping us all into one category.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options

My ex wore his dress blues pretty much every day. The only thing better than a man in Marine Corps dress blues is a man in any kind of cammo.

My fiance is a Navy Reservist and their "everyday" uniform now is cammo -- BDs? I can't ever remember -- and it's H.O.T.

The blue Navy fatigues will make me rubberneck more than just about anything.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

They are taught and trained to "be" better than everyone, or "think" they are better than everyone? I almost became one after college but I went into the safety of the corporate world where I proceeded to break my back there instead. I have a funny feeling no "training" in the world could have made me any more of a douche than I already am. I also think that some people who are already not douchey like another member here usmcp could never be turned into one.

Just wondering. I'm pretty sure some army people I know and some other branches would contest whether marine trainingn makes you actually better than everyone or just beleive it to be so.

Also lest this thread get derailed into being about Marines and how much douchey they may be and why I'd like to return to the topic of my fireman...

He. Was. Fine! and may have been a former marine for all I know. He was co.cky as all get out and enormously confident as well.

:bigsmile:

(I mean if the thread is gonna derail anyway, I'd like to see it go in this direction.)

Hunky_Fireman_by_alanjohnson.jpg

Sweet Jesus. Someone set my house on fire! :love:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

The blue Navy fatigues will make me rubberneck more than just about anything.
    I can't seem to talk him into wearing them every day ...

Or to bed.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    He was being nosy and it's really none of his business, but in my opinion, yes you were being oversensitive.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    3) why you didn't thank him for his service to our country AND your right to even have a choice of what to eat, much less brand of chocolate?

I'm all for supporting the troops but this is a VERY big stretch.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    tumblr_static_tumblr_mbrc5aspj51ri76b4o1_500.gif

I absolutely adore that you were able to come up with something to say back to him. Priceless.

He was very rude, and his comment was inexcusable.

And everyone who serves, thank you.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

Really? So say I run into you in a grocery store, and I see that your cart is filled with junk food so I say to you, "hey, you know if you ate less junk food you could probably lose some weight." you're telling me you would say "wow, thanks for the helpful advice!"

No. No you wouldn't. Nobody would.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I don't think you were being oversensitive... and if he was "trying to help" he sure wasn't trying very hard. I've been known to offer some unsolicited advice to total strangers myself, but it's always in a positive way... a lady looking over an Ikea bed that I have and I love; I'll butt in and tell her I have it at home and I think it's great and it was easy to put together. I'm pretty sure she won't run away crying. I wouldn't say anything of a personally critical nature to someone I don't even know; it boggles my mind that anyone would think that was acceptable.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Oh give the guy a break! He's just using the personality the marines gave him

Thank you for classifying all Marines as rude. How about we turn it around and say he's just using the personality that his male chromosomes gave him? You would call it sexist and say not all men are rude. Making blanket statements like that makes you look ignorant.

Sincerely,
    A United States Marine

QFT and thank you for your service usmcmp <3