Strong reaction to public humiliation = Over sensitive

Options

Replies

• TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Well done OP; nothing more attractive than strength in a woman. I applaud you
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    You were not being oversensitive. Since he decided to make it his business, you get to respond accordingly. I quite frankly think it was WAY out of line for him to make that comment. And I commend you for not flipping him off or saying something rude (which is what I would have done). All you did was provide him a bit more information on the situation he was all too eager to comment on. I can only hope to remember to keep calm and respond intelligently as you did.

Way to go! :flowerforyou:
  • GuitarGirl99
    GuitarGirl99 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So many replies here....I can't resist though! Your response was so great. Just....so great. Myself.....I am terrible with stressful situations and usually resort to incoherent ranting when under pressure like what you experienced. And I have always, always, always been accused of being "oversensitive'. It took a long time for me to stop thinking that being sensitive to feelings was a BAD thing and going beyond that to realize that people who walk around accusing others of over sensitivity tend to be incredibly INSENSITIVE people who are lonely and hide their insecurity behind rude, brash behavior.
    I applaud your efforts and your success thus far in your fitness journey. I love that you were able to articulate yourself to this young man who really needed to hear this type of response.

Perhaps, under that prickly exterior, he heard what you were saying and was EMBARRASSED inside for being called out on his bad behavior.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

1. I've also noticed, as most of us have, that when someone sees a fat person buying something like donuts, chocolate, etc., then their mind immediately goes to "they have no self control." This doesn't happen when they see a thin person buying sweets.

2. He may have been genuinely trying to help. Sure, you didn't see it that way, but he suggested a way you can not only eat chocolate, but also save some calories while doing so. If you are trying to lose weight (and you are), that is helpful advice. You didn't like that a stranger gave you unsolicited advice... I get that, though some of us would actually use that information to help us regardless of the source (of course I would also fact check it to be sure).

Really? So say I run into you in a grocery store, and I see that your cart is filled with junk food so I say to you, "hey, you know if you ate less junk food you could probably lose some weight." you're telling me you would say "wow, thanks for the helpful advice!"

No. No you wouldn't. Nobody would.

Not something generic like that that I already know. But if you came up to me when I was buying yogurt and said, "Hey, you can get more protein by eating greek yogurt." I would say "thank you" and then check into it and perhaps even take the advice. That has actually happened. There is a difference between generic advice like "eat less junk food" and specific information like "this particular brand of chocolate has fewer calories."
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Maybe he meant that there's fewer calories so you could eat more?

Or was trying to flirt?

Still a jerk move though. Didn't think it through.
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Damn. You are a hero. What a polite response to a rude-*kitten* comment.
  • Mikkimeowza
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

1. I've also noticed, as most of us have, that when someone sees a fat person buying something like donuts, chocolate, etc., then their mind immediately goes to "they have no self control." This doesn't happen when they see a thin person buying sweets.

2. He may have been genuinely trying to help. Sure, you didn't see it that way, but he suggested a way you can not only eat chocolate, but also save some calories while doing so. If you are trying to lose weight (and you are), that is helpful advice. You didn't like that a stranger gave you unsolicited advice... I get that, though some of us would actually use that information to help us regardless of the source (of course I would also fact check it to be sure).

Really? So say I run into you in a grocery store, and I see that your cart is filled with junk food so I say to you, "hey, you know if you ate less junk food you could probably lose some weight." you're telling me you would say "wow, thanks for the helpful advice!"

Not something generic like that that I already know. But if you came up to me when I was buying yogurt and said, "Hey, you can get more protein by eating greek yogurt." I would say "thank you" and then check into it and perhaps even take the advice. That has actually happened. There is a difference between generic advice like "eat less junk food" and specific information like "this particular brand of chocolate has fewer calories."

Oh God, it is you again. Now the toddler hater thinks rude comments are acceptable.
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

I agree completely with this.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    it sucks but Marines are just like that... its trained into them... believe me my husband is an active duty marine for 10 years n going.... he says things about weight/food and such that a normal person wouldn't. They r taught and trained to be better than everyone... keep your head high. and good for you for telling him off.

They are taught and trained to "be" better than everyone, or "think" they are better than everyone? I almost became one after college but I went into the safety of the corporate world where I proceeded to break my back there instead. I have a funny feeling no "training" in the world could have made me any more of a douche than I already am. I also think that some people who are already not douchey like another member here usmcp could never be turned into one.

Just wondering. I'm pretty sure some army people I know and some other branches would contest whether marine trainingn makes you actually better than everyone or just beleive it to be so.

Also lest this thread get derailed into being about Marines and how much douchey they may be and why I'd like to return to the topic of my fireman...

He. Was. Fine! and may have been a former marine for all I know. He was co.cky as all get out and enormously confident as well.

:bigsmile:

(I mean if the thread is gonna derail anyway, I'd like to see it go in this direction.)

Hunky_Fireman_by_alanjohnson.jpg

I knew I liked you MCD!
  • OKfarmgal
    OKfarmgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Nice job. I don't know you but I'm proud of you!

+1 ????
  • dMonster01
    dMonster01 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

Oh God, it is you again. Now the toddler hater thinks rude comments are acceptable.

I don't know the back story to your comment, but toddlers DO suck.
  • pleasurelittletreasure
    Options

What kind did you get? Please tell me it's something GOOD :heart:

ETA: I kind of want chocolate now....

Ghirardelli sea salt soiree (dark chocolate with sea salt and roasted almonds) :]

OH MY LORD!!! I just realized I have an unfinished package of that somewhere in this house! Let the hunt begin!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

If a man came up to me while I was buying yogurt at the groceries and suggested a way for me to get more protein....

...I'd slap him.
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You worded that perfectly!
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    GOOOOD FOR YOU!

He is a psycho and that is psycho behavior; and this psycho is allowed to carry guns.

He incited something and went and turned it around so that it was your fault. That is psycho-behavior.

Anyway, you did the right thing. Maybe somewhere deep down you think you were wrong, but you did nothing wrong. Just be happy knowing you are not a crazy psycho like he is.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I have 2 thoughts:

If a man came up to me while I was buying yogurt at the groceries and suggested a way for me to get more protein....

...I'd slap him.

And I'm quite sure that is EXACTLY what he was looking for. He was spoling for a fight with anyone.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I'll play devils advocate. Now I know you took it the way you took it and reacted how you did, but honestly I think he said something helpful/suggestive but just probably didn't realize it may have come out awkward. You are basing his comments on the assumption that he sees you as you see yourself: overweight, and trying to lose. For all you know that's NOT what he was thinking. In fact, he may have just lost weight himself to be in the marines or trying to keep his weight down for that, saw you choosing chocolates, and thought of a suggestion "why don't you try skinny cow?" Maybe he's tried it and liked it.
    He may really not have thought you would then blow up at him over that.
    My response would have been "yea I know that stuffs got less calories, but today I'm going for the good stuff. Gotta have fun right?" Then I would have smiled and brushed it off. But that's me. Most people don't see me as heavy at all so I wouldn't have taken it that way. It all depends on your perspective. I'm pretty easy going.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'll play devils advocate. Now I know you took it the way you took it and reacted how you did, but honestly I think he said something helpful/suggestive but just probably didn't realize it may have come out awkward. You are basing his comments on the assumption that he sees you as you see yourself: overweight, and trying to lose. For all you know that's NOT what he was thinking. In fact, he may have just lost weight himself to be in the marines or trying to keep his weight down for that, saw you choosing chocolates, and thought of a suggestion "why don't you try skinny cow?" Maybe he's tried it and liked it.
    My response would have been "yea I know that stuffs got less calories, but today I'm going for the good stuff. Gotta have fun right?" Then I would have smiled and brushed it off. But that's me. Most people don't see me as heavy at all so I wouldn't have taken it that way. It all depends on your perspective. I'm pretty easy going.

Thank you for describing this so clearly. He may have had positive intentions, and the OP possibly made him not want to help the next person. None of us really know - only the person who said it knows exactly what he meant. I see some people immediately jump to conclude the worst, some of us immediately jump to conclude the best. With all other factors known (such as that he is a marine), I can't help but assume the best. Maybe I'm wrong... and maybe those who think he was trying to insult the OP are wrong. Either way, can't we all at least give him the benefit of the doubt?!
  • marcon125
    marcon125 Posts: 259 Member
    Options

Thank you for describing this so clearly. He may have had positive intentions, and the OP possibly made him not want to help the next person. None of us really know - only the person who said it knows exactly what he meant. I see some people immediately jump to conclude the worst, some of us immediately jump to conclude the best. With all other factors known (such as that he is a marine), I can't help but assume the best. Maybe I'm wrong... and maybe those who think he was trying to insult the OP are wrong. Either way, can't we all at least give him the benefit of the doubt?!

I have been reading the other comments to try and see other viewpoints on this. Your comments on this definitely resonate with me. And you're right, he may have been trying to be helpful. But then if that were true, when the OP had given her response, he might have said something more like "Congrats on your weightloss" or "my apologies, I didn't mean to offend." But instead, he called her oversensitive, which tells me he was not being entirely sympathetic or altruistic, but maybe just a little judgemental.

Or maybe we are talking about someone who had a bad day and didn't respond in the most positive way (I am talking about the young marine here.) We have all had those days where we stuck our foot in our mouth at one time or another.

By the way, to all the service men and women, I want to thank you for all you do to protect our country and our freedoms.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It is good that you spoke up. His reaction is similar to men who get called out for making rude comments and catcalls. They will say they were only trying to be nice.

You are there doing your own thing and didn't need him to give you his advice. Anyone who says that maybe he was trying to be constructive and helpful is wrong. He was being disrespectful, the same way someone who catcalls women is. It is uncalled for and people should really learn to mind their own business.