Fitness Devices Garmin/Polar/Bodymedia etc. - Ask Me

Options

Replies

• Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I have a windows phone and am really interested in the vivosmart. I could care less about the app connectivity but i want to be able to use the text notification functionality. Do I NEED to have the app to be able to connect it to my phone?

You do need to set the Garmin Vivosmart up with the app on the phone to get notifications. I'd wait awhile if I were you, as it seems they are still working out bugs. I bought one and I'm having to do a replacement because of issues with the screen freezing, randomly pulling up menus, and not linking to the HRM.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I am looking for the following.

1.Tracks distance
    2.Tracks speed
    3. Tracks duration
    4. Is fairly small. ie, it can be clipped onto a top, or worn on the wrist
    5. Doesn't cost a bomb

I already have a HRM which meets my current needs, but have just started with running (in a running group). I'm not so concerned by the calories burned for that activity, as I am with progress about speed and distance.

Is there anything like this?

Free - Strava, Mapmyrun apps for your phone.
    If you are looking at a watch then

Garmin FR 10 or 15

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/06/garmin-forerunner-15-depth-review.html
    http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2012/08/garmin-forerunner-watch.html

or an older FR like 405

I have the 405 and like it - note that it is useless on the treadmill

And you can sell off the HRM because these all include that functions.
  • euronorris
    euronorris Posts: 211 Member
    Options

1.Tracks distance
    2.Tracks speed
    3. Tracks duration
    5. Doesn't cost a bomb

I already have a HRM which meets my current needs, but have just started with running (in a running group). I'm not so concerned by the calories burned for that activity, as I am with progress about speed and distance.

Garmin FR 10 or 15

or an older FR like 405

Thank you.

I already have Endomondo on my phone, which I've always use to track my walks, but I didn't want to take my phone on these runs as it is bit bulky and heavy really (compared to a watch).

I'll have a look at the watches, thanks. Are they waterproof? I currently have an FT4...I think. Anyway, it's waterproof, which I do like for the occasional swimming that I do. I'll check 'em out now.
  • euronorris
    Options
    This guy gives amazingly in depth reviews! I love it!
  • GatorGoula
    GatorGoula Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Garmin Vivofit (I like this very much after a few months using it)
    Has the vivofit fallen off yet? Looks like it could easily snap loose.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

1.Tracks distance
    2.Tracks speed
    3. Tracks duration
    5. Doesn't cost a bomb

Garmin FR 10 or 15

or an older FR like 405

Thank you.

I already have Endomondo on my phone, which I've always use to track my walks, but I didn't want to take my phone on these runs as it is bit bulky and heavy really (compared to a watch).

I'll have a look at the watches, thanks. Are they waterproof? I currently have an FT4...I think. Anyway, it's waterproof, which I do like for the occasional swimming that I do. I'll check 'em out now.

The 10 & 15 are waterproof and you can swim with them (although they are useless for HR in water - no recording). The 405 can get wet and will do ok in a shower but it low level waterproofing - do not make it swim, it will die.

The FT4 that you have has waterproofing that is lighter than the 10/15. However it has a better signal system for swimming HR receiving.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Currently have a fitbit flex, which I do like for the most part, but miss having a wristwatch and would like some additional functionality. Was looking at the Garmin Vivofit or Vivosmart. Is the Garmin connect app similar to the fitbit update? I like the built in gps etc. but miss having heart rate functionality etc.

Hi Marilyn,

One thing that stood out from your comment was the "built in gps". The Vivosmart, nor the Vivofit unfortunately do not have an integrated GPS.

The Vivosmart and the Vivofit are very similar.

-=Vivosmart=-
    Displays steps, calories, distance and time of day
    Vibration alerts for calls, texts and emails from your smartphone
    Easy operation using touch and swipe
    Pairs with heart rate monitor for fitness activities
    Inactivity alert reminds you to move
    Auto goal keeps you challenged

-=Vivofit=-
    Learns your activity level and assigns a personalized daily goal
    Displays steps, calories, distance; monitors sleep
    Pairs with heart rate monitor for fitness activities
    1+ year battery life; water-resistant²
    Save, plan and share progress at Garmin Connect™

Yes yes, I more or less copied those from Garmin's website...

They both look to be on par. Both are water-resistant to 50m, can pair with a Bluetooth Ant+ Heart Rate Stap...

One thing I will note, is that Vivofit display is not backlit in anyway. So in really dim light, you can't read the display (that doesn't bother me, and I've been wearing mine for months now).

The Vivosmart uses an OLED display, so you can see time in the dark. You can also control music on your phone, have vibration alerts.. you can see some more differences with the below links.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/vivofit-/into-sports/health-fitness/vivosmart-/prod154886.html

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sports/health-fitness/vivofit-/prod143405.html

The Vivofit is being used on this Seasons Biggest Loser, just an FYI. So there's some advertising (credibility?) for them.

I haven't used the Fitbit update app, but I imagine they are similar in nature. Identifying calories burned, steps taken etc..Since Fitbit has been in the pedometer game longer, they likely have a more polished interface.

So I'd boil it down to... do you want much longer battery life with no charging (1 year+)? or alerts from your phone, readability in low light, the ability to skip music tracks, and vibration alerts with a $40 premium?

Hopefully that helped, let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks. This helped me decide on the Vivofit, instead of the Smart. Saved myself a bit of money.
  • kevswain
    kevswain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I am looking for a product that can track my swimming and HR while swimming without the use of a band is there such a product ?
  • euronorris
    Options
    Hi
    I am looking for a product that can track my swimming and HR while swimming without the use of a band is there such a product ?

As I understand it, no HRM is going to be accurate without a chest strap. Though I'm sure others will correct me if I've misunderstood.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Hi

As I understand it, no HRM is going to be accurate without a chest strap. Though I'm sure others will correct me if I've misunderstood.

The TomTom Cardio Multisport watch - an optical sensor like the Mio is reported as accurate and works underwater - although the swim move doesn't record HR, the other modes can be used in pool. Dcrainmaker has a review.

I would suggest trying it on in person - only time I tried it - in store for a minute - i found it too stiff for a tri-watch at about that size.

There are other models but this is the only one I've looked at - google mio hem, strapless hrm, or optical hrm.
  • hazay19
    Options
    Hello Group,

I have been doing a lot of reading an research in order to purchase my first fitness device / tracker and would sincerely appreciated your feedback. You all have a lot of experience and expertise and seem to be aware of some of the issues I have found and that are important to me (the accuracy of the body media device according to the university study, etc.).

I feel that we are just on the cusp of getting some fantastic fitness trackers, but the market is still a little premature. With that said, I really want to get fit and lose some weight now, rather than later. I'm 33, 5'10 and 230 lbs... I have very little stomach fat, but carry my weight more in my rear and thighs and have more of a stocky build. So, my BMI is way out of whack, more my waist to height ratio is more representative of my weight. I would like to lose at least 20-30 lbs.

So, my primary forms of exercise is very intense beach volleyball at least 4 times a week (2 vs. 2) , some tennis and running on the treadmill. Accuracy is very important to me and I am looking for a fitness tracker that would work best for my preferred exercise types. I like the Basis band, the best probably, because of all of the sensors, but it did not perform well on accuracy on the university tests and it does not measure HR during exercise. With tennis and volleyball, I want it to track HR during exercise, since there is more stop and go and it is more of an interval type exercise. I don't mind wearing a chest strap or ankle attachment, if necessary, as well. It seems all the current generation fitness trackers only measure HR during sleep and during the day, if they even have HR trackers at all. The body media is extremely accurate, but bulky and I'm not thrilled about the 7 dollars a month required price. If these are my best options, I have no problem with that either, but am open to any other suggestions...

I was hoping for good things from the apple watch, but was highly disappointed. They hired sooooo much talent in the fitness and health industry and all they put on it was a HR sensor. I don't need to check my email, make calls, text, etc. from my tracker and know that future generations of the apple watch will be MUCH better for fitness and have better sensors, but battery issues limited them and I can't wait for another 1.5 years.

I am very much looking for any recommendations and suggestions you may have...

Best Regards,

Jack
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Jack,

A polar 4 or 7 will do what you need / basic HR monitoring plus a few bells and whistles.
    4x4 basketball might seem like interval training but it's not HIIT - consider it reasonable steady state unless you are regularly doing pull court sprints at max speed (not going to happen while also bouncing a ball).

Edit: These are all HRM with a chest strap.
  • kevswain
    kevswain Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Just got a Polar FT60
    plan on trying it out in the pool over the next couple of days and will post back my findings.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Jack,

I'm not sure what you are expecting in terms of accuracy?

If you just want fairly accurate HR data then any number of HRM straps that you wear around you chest (not really practical for volleyball especially sand) or something like the MIO wrist band.

In terms of any other metrics, well there is no such thing as 'accurate' at the moment. Just because a device has multiple sensors doesn't mean it is accurately measuring anything. Most of the time the device is just taking one metric and interpreting the data to guess at a particular metric. Body fat% is a good example.

For your listed activities, the only one that would benefit a HRM would be running. Volleyball is too static as is tennis, I know it might not feel like it at times but it is a fact.

You will have much more success loosing weight by accurately recording what you eat on MFP, then you can enjoy your favourite sports without worrying about mostly meaningless data :smile:
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Anybody else have/use the Polar Loop + H7? I like it but the data collection/app (which I had to wait till mid year - i got both last year - to get)...

And I gave up on the BodyMedia thing - they even sent me a replacement, late last year/early this year it stopped syncing to my phones no matter what I did (S3 & S5) - it would work once, then even see the damn thing again, requiring a full reset, reboot the phone, un sync/re sync and "maybe" it would work.

I have a Flex (which after 4 months fubar'ed, but they replaced) and my Gear 2 Neo (Fit & Lark & Endomondo app which pulls HR data from the watch). I'm getting a Lumafit (http://www.lumafit.com/) and a Jaha (http://www.jaha.com/) via Kickstarter. I'm hoping they work well.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    all,

This is a great thread. I am one of those who tracks activity all day long with a Nike Fuel Band. My husband use a fitbit. Has anyone here been one of the beta uses of the Apple Watch? I am very curious to see reviews in real life on it. Granted, I am one of THOSE people who love apple products, but not sure if it will be a good device as I continue to up my fitness activities and level...

thanks!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I just would like to add something that might turn out to be important: should you ever be interested in running, jogging..hiking...then one with GPS functionality is worth considering as it gives you data re distance, speed, route, altitude...some models have gps included in the sports watch while for others you have a separate gps unit to carry with you.

Also one more point: should you be on iPhone you can download the Polarbeat app for free, buy yourself a heart rate monitor (not the watch) and use this combined with the app. There are other apps out there that can do the same thing.

Stef.

Hi Stef, thanks for the input and that is a good point. Apple users should be aware though that you require at least an iPhone 4s for that functionality since earlier models to not have the appropriate Bluetooth chip. Not everyone has this, nor looking to buy a new phone to obtain that functionality. Also, as stated above, if you're looking for your heart rate strap to work with gym equipment, the Polar Bluetooth strap will not work.

Just to add: the Polar H7 strap does work with gym equipment, at least with the ones that I use.
    Stef.
  • govenderd1
    govenderd1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Correct. The H7 can transmit a 5 kHz signal (number of Polar watches + treadmill) and a smart bluetooth signal (smartphones) simultaneously. The Polar Beat app is good but unfortunately does not sync data to any 3rd party sites like Myfitnesspal. However the H7 is compatible with the Endomondo app which automatically uploads your workout data to this site.

In my case I run both Polar Beat app and Endomondo app at the same time on my phone. So I get the use of the Polar features and upload to myfitnesspal from Endomondo automatically.
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Yup, I stand corrected. The H7 strap does transmit both signals, thus working with gym equipment. Nice stuff.
    I just would like to add something that might turn out to be important: should you ever be interested in running, jogging..hiking...then one with GPS functionality is worth considering as it gives you data re distance, speed, route, altitude...some models have gps included in the sports watch while for others you have a separate gps unit to carry with you.

Also one more point: should you be on iPhone you can download the Polarbeat app for free, buy yourself a heart rate monitor (not the watch) and use this combined with the app. There are other apps out there that can do the same thing.

Stef.

Hi Stef, thanks for the input and that is a good point. Apple users should be aware though that you require at least an iPhone 4s for that functionality since earlier models to not have the appropriate Bluetooth chip. Not everyone has this, nor looking to buy a new phone to obtain that functionality. Also, as stated above, if you're looking for your heart rate strap to work with gym equipment, the Polar Bluetooth strap will not work.
  • ck1223
    ck1223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I would be amazed if you didn't need an app to communicate the vivosmart to the phone. That's just the way all of these 3rd party watches work with phones.
    I have a windows phone and am really interested in the vivosmart. I could care less about the app connectivity but i want to be able to use the text notification functionality. Do I NEED to have the app to be able to connect it to my phone?