Found My Voice, I wasn't "Hangry"

Options
I was standing up for myself. Now maybe I did finally just take it a step too far but I don't think I am the one that really should have to be the one to apologize.

Tory Johnson had the "The Switch".. I apparently have found "My Voice". I said, 'No. Thank you." to the cookies..
I said, "No thanks" to the follow up question, "Want cake?"
"Come ONNNN"...
"Really. I'm good. Thank you, but no thank you. Share with my the rest of our co-workers. Enjoy."
"I'm going to go get a piece of cake and just leave it on your desk then."
"Do NOT do that."
"Why not?" she said.
Now... not that I owe ANYONE that I work with ANY type of an explanation, but unless you are blind and/or don't know me you know I need to lose weight!
"For certain health reasons I must lose 40 lbs. so, again, thank you, but NO."

Now really. Should not that have been THE END of it..?

"oh Come on, Kill joy. Have one Oreo stuffed, peanut butter cookie. Just one, it won't kill you."

You know what, one cookie might not kill me. But.. My Voice took over and said....
"What is WRONG with you? NO means NO. Are you trying to make this something more than what it needs to be. I said no. Leave it alone. One? Really? Have YOU looked in the mirror lately? YOU couldn't stop at just one could you? If I could or would want to stop at that one would I be facing this road of weight loss? Would you tell someone that had been sober for 30 days oh come oh.. just have one scotch, it won't kill you? Of course not! So turn and walk away. I said NO! "

Another co-worker looked at her and said, "I think she has an opinion. I think she said no."

Again.. I wasn't hangry, you know, so hungry I was angry. I was tired of being harassed. Was I wrong for retaliating, yes.
Yes.. part of me feels that I need to apologize to her, at the same time, I feel she owes me an apology.

In the end though I've found my Voice. I just need to make sure to let it be heard sooner, rather than as a last resort!

Replies

• LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I kind of love this story... :smile:
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    You actually asked someone to look in the mirror to justify yourself? I really hope you didn't. I'd be crying after something like that.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I too snapped at a co-worker the other day and wondered if I ought to apologise. It was actually for the opposite reason, she was giving me crap about my snack being 'unhealthy' and I basically said "Well, I've lost a sh!tload of weight and seem to be doing fine so how about you do you and I'll do me".

She seemed to take it onboard, and has been irritatingly 'supportive' since.

If you had a go at her appearance, that's probably worth an apology. Me, I'd tend to do it as a "look, I'm really sorry I took a shot at your appearance. I was just angry because you XXXXXX" so the insult is apologised for but you haven't backed down on your overall stance.
  • cookeylady
    cookeylady Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    WOW! At least you recognize both sides of the wrong here and are willing to step up and be an adult. I would apologize, just because, of the lash out, and explain, but i did tell you multiple times NO and NO MEANS NO. hope it doesn't ruin your day. :D
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Good for you for standing up for yourself.

I think you both need to apologize to each other. I say you should apologize because, "Have YOU looked in the mirror lately? YOU couldn't stop at just one could you?"

I'm sorry, I don't care if she was putting the cake on your desk, that comment takes it a bit too far.

Next time, you could just take the cake or cookie and put it in the trash in front of her. I'm sure she won't offer you any more after that. Not that I'm an advocate for throwing yummy food that could be fit into my day (I said MY not yours) away.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Yes, you owe your coworker an apology for the "look in the mirror" comment.
  • Goldeeloks615
    Goldeeloks615 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You actually asked someone to look in the mirror to justify yourself? I really hope you didn't. I'd be crying after something like that.

Never said it was a good moment. Saying, THIS is the part that I feel that I need to apologize for, and the ONLY part.

Crying? No... I was positively abashed that anyone would feel that they would think it's okay to continue to push what I've told them is in no way an okay choice for me.
    That my handicap has lead me to become overweight and now can't have the needed surgery and she wants to push food that I obviously don't want and or need.. is almost abusive.

How she chooses to treat her own body I can't control. I am sorry that I was mean to her though,
  • Daiako
    Daiako Posts: 12,545 Member
    Options
    You weren't angry but you all but called her fat?

I wonder how you are when actually angry.
  • 2bFit1959
    2bFit1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding your voice!!!: flowerforyou:
    You don't have to apologize for doing what is right for you.

Keep up the good work!
  • 2bFit1959
    2bFit1959 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on finding your voice!!!: flowerforyou:

You don't have to apologize for doing what is right for you, but maybe you should for the unkind words.

Keep up the good work!
  • cookieinbk82
    cookieinbk82 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I think you should apologize for the "you couldn't stop at one" comment. However, your co worker should have just asked you once and when you said no that should have been it.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Did you feel any better about yourself after making the mirror comment than you would have if you would have eaten cake?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I want cake now. :sad:
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You know I think you should apologies for going to the"fat" look in the mirror comment but also let her know you are on a journey and welcome friends who want to be supportive - tell her about MFP and maybe this whole incident opens a friendship
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

Never said it was a good moment. Saying, THIS is the part that I feel that I need to apologize for, and the ONLY part.

Crying? No... I was positively abashed that anyone would feel that they would think it's okay to continue to push what I've told them is in no way an okay choice for me.
    That my handicap has lead me to become overweight and now can't have the needed surgery and she wants to push food that I obviously don't want and or need.. is almost abusive.

How she chooses to treat her own body I can't control. I am sorry that I was mean to her though,

The crying thing... I was referring to feeling like the person you told to look in a mirror.

I often put myself in other's position rather than taking the storytellers view completely.

No, she should not have kept badgering you about the cake. But you know, there isn't anything inherently wrong with cake....or kindness.... I was obese once, too. I treat my body to cake. And absolutely no to it being abuse.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    So, is that cake still up for grabs, or what?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    Hmm... maybe you should have had that cookie, OP.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Did you feel any better about yourself after making the mirror comment than you would have if you would have eaten cake?

Agreed.

There's some drama in that office.
    You owe her an apology and you should probably try to figure out better ways to resolve conflicts, 'cause... day-um.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I want cake now. :sad:

RIGHT!!! That Oreo stuffed, peanut butter cookie sounds like a freakin dream!!!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Lmao that the OP referred to her Co workers offering cake as abusive. Lol
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!