What Bad Habit Should I Drop Next Month?

Options
13»

Replies

• JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I would say, drop diet soda, but dont drop it completely. Same goes with every bad habit;learn to enjoy this stuff in moderation, is the habbit I would suggest. Dropping a thing completely might mean that if you would take it in by accident, or due to temptation, you might cave completely and consume the entire fridge of Big Momma.
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Eating out. You are trusting someone else to count and weigh what you eat. It will also save you a lot of money and will ultimately get you to learn to cook and plan your meals better. This will make the greatest long term impact for continued weight loss in my opinion.
  • AoifeeSi
    AoifeeSi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I vote for caffeine (it will also kill 2 birds with 1 stone by dumping soda from your diet).

My reasoning:
    Back in high school (I'll skip how long ago that was), I decided to stop drinking anything with caffeine in (which was mostly soda and tea for me). Within a month, I stopped having headaches; lost 10 LB, without trying; my skin & hair became clearer, softer & shiner; was sleeping better; had more energy; and had less sever (heavy & painful) periods. Sometime after that I went to beauty school and got an aesthetician license (skin care), and learned that caffeine dehydrates the body which was a major factor in all the symptoms I had back when I drank it.

Now obviously how your body handles the change will vary from what mine did, but my bet is that no matter what your body does do, it will be positive on many levels.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    When you binge on one of those items, what is the total caloric damage (e.g. how many calories in a whole box of cookies)? And how much caffeine when you overdo it on caffeine? What makes caffeine a bad habit for you, i.e. is it interfering with your sleep?

I always say sleep comes first, so if you're not getting enough on a regular basis, do what you have to do to correct that first. If sleep isn't a problem, I would eliminate the easiest thing with the biggest impact. I am guessing that would be cookies or ice cream, but you will have to calculate that. I agree eating out is a wild card (hard to calculate), but for some people (e.g. people who travel for a living), its terribly difficult to eliminate. Change the easy stuff first and work your way up to the harder habits to break.

Moderation is the key to all things, but it can be a ***** to learn. Stick with it and good luck!
  • JaniceMarieThomas
    Options
    I say diet soda and I like your idea so am going to let that be my goal for October............NO DIET SODA! Will let you know how I do. Thinking I will be able to do it unless I forget which I have done in the past. I really love water so that is my drink of choice. Good luck with whatever you give up.
  • pinuprevival
    pinuprevival Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have cut myself down to two Cherry Coke Zeros a day and it's doable for me. Here's a bit of reading about diet sodas in the meantime. Good Luck! http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/diet-soda/faq-20057855
  • libra8
    Options
    Eating out. The portions are often too large and have additions to the food like extra butter, extra cheese, sauces or gravy. You may want to try making some of your restaurant favorites at home, but lightened up.
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Diet Soda

I have no substitutions for you... I went cold turkey YEARS ago and haven't looked back since. I felt the positive effects of not having it in my diet after just a couple days.

I agree, I quit last Thanksgiving. Only unsweet tea coffee or water for me.
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, drink green tea with some honey or stevia.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I vote for Diet Soda....I am working on this one too.

I try these things monthly, last was ice cream. I now eat plain greek yogurt with ice cream sandwich protein powder mixed in. One month I went a little different and gave up my Snooze button in the mornings. One of the best things I have done for myself in a long time.

I find that if you tackle things one at a time, it's makes everything easier and less scary haha I also find that when I take things one at a time, I focus more on meeting my goals and they actually stick with me after I meet them!

I agree, trying to change too many things at one time backfires on me. I can do one diet related thing and one non-diet related thing.