Found My Voice, I wasn't "Hangry"

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Guess I'm the lone b!tch who doesn't think OP needs to apologize.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Not a chance. I'm all down for the no apologies in this situation.

We gotta travel in packs, ya know.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I agree. I also want cake. :laugh:
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    it wouldn't hurt for you to say, "I'm sorry for the way i spoke to you" and leave it at that, do not add that you were pushed, or she was being too whatever, or any other excuse. be the bigger (er sorry) person. if she's a decent person she will also apologize.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't apologize for saying that. If someone makes me angry enough to make me say something really mean to them like that, we are either going to pretend it never happened or they can get the hell out of my life forever. I'm probably fine with either one and lean towards the latter.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Food being brought in by co-workers is and has always been a problem, and very hard to resist at times. You don't want to tell anyone you're trying to lose weight, because you'll get the Oh "you don't look like you need to lose weight", so come up with something else that doesn't offend them, but makes sense. I am going gluten free to stop my headaches, no sugar for me, because I don't sleep well, and I get a much better sleep if I don't have any, etc. etc. etc. Then the pressure stops.
  • mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    As people have said, you should apologize for the mirror/can't stop at one comment. That went too far. The rest was completely justified, she absolutely should have stopped when you said you really didn't want any.
  • Venobambino
    Venobambino Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel the need to apologize either. She was just asking for it! I just had this scenario in my head that could be more effective than snapping, though, and no angry words would have to be said. Next time, after saying no the first and second and third times, or whatever, finally sigh and say "okay, hand it over," then dramatically dump the food in the garbage in front of them. Then hand back the empty plate. She'd probably never offer you food ever again. Hee hee.
  • Goldeeloks615
    Goldeeloks615 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should feel the need to apologize either. She was just asking for it! I just had this scenario in my head that could be more effective than snapping, though, and no angry words would have to be said. Next time, after saying no the first and second and third times, or whatever, finally sigh and say "okay, hand it over," then dramatically dump the food in the garbage in front of them. Then hand back the empty plate. She'd probably never offer you food ever again. Hee hee.

Oh that would have been the best!

I went in today (was off yesterday) and brought in sliced gala apples from the famers market with some local raw honey and sat the tray at the desk and told everyone to help them selves. I did approach my co-worker and tell her that I wanted to apologize for snapping at her.

(For all those folks that thought I was such a great big meanie head.... )

She laughed and said.. "Ha, No worries. Mom and I had a bet about whether or not you would break down and eat the cake or the cookies".

I smiled at her and told her to enjoy the apples and Raw Honey.
    NOT ONCE did I say... WHO THE HELL DOES THAT, YOU *kitten*?! Or even, the thought that crossed my mind, hope you lost, you hateful wench!
    Still.. Not HANGRY..
    Hangry, being angry BECAUSE I'm hungry.
    Then I was ticked off cuz she was hateful! LOL! Oh well. I had a great day today! I felt better all the way around!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Oh that would have been the best!

I went in today (was off yesterday) and brought in sliced gala apples from the famers market with some local raw honey and sat the tray at the desk and told everyone to help them selves. I did approach my co-worker and tell her that I wanted to apologize for snapping at her.

(For all those folks that thought I was such a great big meanie head.... )

She laughed and said.. "Ha, No worries. Mom and I had a bet about whether or not you would break down and eat the cake or the cookies".

I smiled at her and told her to enjoy the apples and Raw Honey.
    NOT ONCE did I say... WHO THE HELL DOES THAT, YOU *kitten*?! Or even, the thought that crossed my mind, hope you lost, you hateful wench!
    Still.. Not HANGRY..
    Hangry, being angry BECAUSE I'm hungry.
    Then I was ticked off cuz she was hateful! LOL! Oh well. I had a great day today! I felt better all the way around!

This sounds like a hostile work environment... :noway:
  • susanmOAKLAND
    susanmOAKLAND Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I love this ad applaud you.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options

Not at all. I'm a b!tch, too, and I dislike my coworkers with the fire of a thousand suns, and probably would have snapped much worse than she did.
  • NoStoppingNow77
    NoStoppingNow77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I could be wrong but it sounds like your co-worker was just taking her weaknesses and insecurities out on you. Like, how dare you have the strength to not eat the junk food while I do? As a person who's been overweight most of her life I have always found the best joy pigging out around other people who ate just like me. When someone was eating healthy around me it made me feel bad about myself. However, I'd never try to talk someone into eating junk with me. And I probably would have apologized. Not because I thought I should but because I wouldn't want the strife in the work place.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    So glad you found your voice!!! It was tough in my office when I found mine, ppl called me obsessed, & all sorts of names. Said the same things as that girl: you can eat that cake, doughnut, blah blah blah, but stick to your guns!!! Proud of you!!!
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I dislike my coworkers with the fire of a thousand suns

Im sorry but this made me laugh :laugh:

ETA : And. OP, after the bet comment from your co-worker, you showed really good restraint. She sounds like a *kitten*.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    The chick was an *kitten* making a bet with her mom whether or not you'd cave and eat the goodies, but it is kind of funny that she had premeditated sabotage, when you were feeling so bad about hurting her feelings.

I think situations like this go in waves. Your reaction I mean. Likely there will be a time when you can take the piece of cake, eat a bite or two, then put the plate away or toss it. Probably will also be a time when you will want to eat the whole piece, cutting back on some other foods to equal the calories eaten later in the day, or just going over a bit. I mean our focus and ability to control our food choices does change throughout the process of losing weight, especially if you have a lot to lose, IMO.

But it can be confusing to those around us, regardless if we owe them an explanation or care to share where we are currently at in our attempt to weigh less. I know I'm less jumpy when someone offers me goodies than I was 5 or 6 months ago because I'm more at ease in those situations now. And sometimes I accept and bring the food home to my husband!

I drive school bus and when kids have birthdays they often bring and share cupcakes. Now I just thank them, accept the treat, then bring it home to DH. Win, win situation. Of course once in a while I eat it!
  • Zerodette
    Zerodette Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I usually say the whole "People are sabotaging me!" thing is just an excuse. But she was pestering you because of a bet?? What teen movie does she think she lives in??
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't necessarily think she needs to apologize either.

Her "friend" was being rude and pushy. She got pushed too far and said something kinda mean.

If it was me, I probably *would* apologize if I wanted things to be "comfortable" with that person. But I don't think she needs to.

I'd be curious to see how the other person behaves from here on out.

If it was me, IF the other lady did that again, I'd say: Did you NOT hear me last time? Do I really need to repeat myself?

Hey, good job OP. I would have probably gotten pissed. Taken the cookie and crumbled it on the floor and walked out.

ETA: now I've read the rest of the story. The other lady is a btch who does not deserve any kind of apology. JESUS. Who does that?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    food pushers do so for various reasons..mostly to have a partner in crime…but others do it to be fun and out of habit. It is irritating..and sometimes you can feel like they are doing it to sabbatoge your diet.

I'd take the cake..walk down the hall and ditch it in the trash. So much eaiser than being the odd man out..or having the conversation you had.
  • Catter_05
    Catter_05 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think anger gets a bad rap. Even if you were it's ok to be angry with someone who is behaving like that. Seriously! Would it be ok to tease a person about another health problem? If I would have been there I would have been angry witnessing it even if it weren't happening to me. As a witness I would have stepped in and said something. She was being kind of aggressive about it! You even told her it was for health reasons and she kept at it.
    It's ok to stand up for yourself. The words you used weren't the best, but I find it difficult to stick up for myself. I say good for you! I suggest having a plan in place so that the next time someone pushes you into a corner you have an out that doesn't make you feel bad. Next time it may be a family member or someone who you care more about.
    For me it will probably be my dad. He has boundary issues! He won't understand that just because I look healthy on the outside if my blood sugar gets out of whack I will get a migraine. For a smart man he can be rather clueless!
    Good luck!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!