Healthy but satisfying snacks?! Help

Options
Ok so this has probably been asked so many times and is an easy question for a lot of people but I'm really struggling and trying to get as many ideas as I can! Suggestions please :smile:

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing this is code for low-cal?
    What are you actually looking for? Low calorie snacks, snacks under/in a specific calorie range, working to meet a specific macro like protein, cutting your sugar lower, getting away from cookies?

My snacks range anywhere from 60 cals to 500 just depending on the day or what I want; I love things like an apple and string cheese, greek yogurt, crispy minis (usually 2 servings), home-made baked goods (zucchini muffins, amazing), raw or steamed veggies, smoothies, popcorn etc.
  • Natashalou15
    Natashalou15 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Low calorie snacks preferably, something I can eat between meals just to keep the hunger pains at bay! I'm starting this all over again so any help is much appreciated!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me, the lowest calorie snack that will fill me up is Greek yogurt plus fruit... 175ish calories for a 100 calories cup and an apple.

A low calorie wrap filled with 60g of tuna and some spinach, and baby carrots on the side, is very filling for 180-200 calories. I love half an English muffin with some nut butter (200ish calories if you don't go nuts on the butter) too. A serving of oatmeal with some nut butter too (250ish calories if you only use half a serving of nut butter).

Apple and peanut butter is great too apparently but I don't like mixing fruit with stuff, unless it's pie :laugh:

Basically, I haven't found any snack that will really fill me up that is less than 170ish calories. Although I guess you could just eat a whole lot of carrots.

But here are some ideas too...

http://greatist.com/health/88-unexpected-snacks-under-100-calories
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Slice of toast, a yoghurt, some cottage cheese, a piece of fruit, veggies, prawns, eggs.
  • Natashalou15
    Options
    That's great thank you!! There isn't a single thing there I wouldn't try :smile: brilliant ideas! Thanks again for your help it's very much appreciated!!
  • pinksafyre
    pinksafyre Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What is prawns?
  • PAWeissenstein
    PAWeissenstein Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    For some reason I have found that crisp apples - NOT apple crisp ;-) seem to do the trick. The crunch has a good mouth feel, they are filling and they do not boost sugar too high which means that you don't crash and start eating everything in sight. Bananas or a small yogurt do the trick as well. For some reason oranges only work for me as part of a meal but not as a snack. Hope this helps.
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I like almonds (half or 1 oz), light string cheese, turkey pepperoni, veggie straws, raw veggies, and anything from Graze. (I get a Graze snack box every 2 weeks in the mail, which is AWESOME!)
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Apples are my go to filling snack. I also like string cheese, unsalted nuts, and carrots.
  • Natashalou15
    Options
    Thanks for all the help! I think this time with support I might just be able to get to where I wanna be and stay there :happy:
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I rarely like those little round babybel cheese things. Or quest bars. Or cupcakes lol
  • AlanaTedmon
    AlanaTedmon Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    A 1/4 cup of almonds, cashews or even pistachios are kind of my go to snack. I also agree with just grabbing an apple. If you get sugar cravings very often than apples will satisfy them. For work I sometimes bring a protein bar to wolf down during my fifteen minute breaks but I try to drink a ton of water whenever I do. Protein will dry you out.
  • SteveGStar
    Options
    Rice cakes - come in many different flavours and can be stacked with other foods depending on goals & preference (ie. peanut butter / jam / cottage cheese / salmon e.t.c.)

Carrot sticks / cucumber sticks - prep them at night and throw them in some sealed tupperware.

Sweet potato honey glazed wedges - sooooo damn good!!
  • StephenGammack
    Options
    I find that often an apple (sliced thinly with a sharp knife makes all the difference) and eaten with some almonds or walnuts works well as a filling snack. Also though, it really depends on what my body needs on each day. I personally avoid anything that says lite or low fat as it normally means your filling up with sugar which is counterproductive to trying to find nourishment. Eat light to feel light works for me.
  • babyjunebug90
    babyjunebug90 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like having sliced cucumber with a little bit of lemon juice and pepper!
  • martinebaxterparsons
    Options
    pretzels or ritz cracker biscuits are my low cal snack if fruit or carrots isn't doing it. good luck.
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I take carrot, cucumber and/or celery sticks to work and eat with low-fat hummus or quark (low-fat soft cheese). I also have Nakd bars (purely compressed fruit with nut), dried carrot/apple pieces and a bag of almonds in my desk drawer, as well as fruit teas to keep the hunger pangs at bay.
    At home, I usually opt for vegetable soup or baked sweet potato or butternut squash fries, yum!
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    Options
    Special K Pastry Crisps - 100 Calories and delicious
    Fruit - Usually below 100 calories and delicious
    Ritz Breaks - About 150 calories per pack and delicious
  • thenolanz
    thenolanz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I try to keep my snacks at 150 cal or less:

Cheese stick
    Almonds and a square of dark chocolate
    Apple/pear
    Nature Valley Trail Mix granola bars'
    Yogurt
    Carrots and hummus
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, low sodium mixed nuts, and sometimes cheese if I can fit it into my macros. Those are my go-tos for snacks. :^)