Best exercise for weight loss?

Options
13»

Replies

• mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    thankyou to everyone that answered my question ill take it all into consideration! :) means a lot but to everyone else i dont understand why theres need for the sarcastic comments, but hey thank you to everyone for the help, i was wondering wether or not to start doing a kettle bells class or something like a routine aswell as the gym? :bigsmile:

Might as well try a kettle ball class or something, if you're interested. It could be a BLAST! Of course, if you end up not enjoying it, don't stress, just try something else. There's no magic in any specific exercise. :wink:
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    It's the long, slow stuff with a program kept up for months that will show results. Distance swimming, jogging/running.

Nah.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the most efficient way to burn calories.

Most weight loss is due to controlling calories in, not exercising them away.

Start with walking, move up to an elliptical.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Swimming is excellent if you have access to a pool. Otherwise, walking is excellent. If you are feeling froggy you might want to try Couch to 5k. It's a program that starts you out slowly toward eventually running/jogging a 5k (just Google it). Kettle bells are good for cardio and strength so if you are interested in it you should give it a try. Zumba is also pretty fun.
  • vegasgyrl79971
    Options
    I swear everyday, the people on here amaze me. It's like no matter the topic you have to be A**es. Why? Are you that unhappy? If you think her post is silly, guess what? Dont reply. Why use your time to be snarky and rude? I just don't get it. I guess because Ive never ran with the mean girls and my self esteem has never been that low. But anyway, to OP. Any cardio will help lose weight. Swimming by far will give you the biggest calorie burn with the least amount of stress on your joints. But just find something you like and do it. If your gym has classes try them out. Good Luck!
    Amen.

Make use of the Ignore feature. Click the arrow next to their name and click to ignore that user. Zap! Poof! Nonsense eliminated. You never see another post! :)

Spend a couple days doing that with anyone who is rude, picking on people personally, name-calling like a kindergartener...very quickly, the boards become a much happier and supportive place.

I never knew this was an option. Thanks so much because I just can't deal with meanness on any level. Theres no need for it. She didn't ask one question about her intake. So why even respond about putting the fork down? Anyway, thanks!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Diet for weight loss.
    Exercise that helped me along the way, in terms of ensuring I leaned up is cycling, boxing, walking, circuits and weights. It is good to mix things up.
  • SerendipitySkye
    SerendipitySkye Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I love rebounding (mini-trampoline). Here is an example video of what I do. It works wonders. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSM3tRmTfxY
  • MKEgal
    Options
    Should the calorie deficit be incremental or all at once?
    Depends on what you mean.
    There's no way I could make enough of an "all at once" deficit to lose the 57 lb I've lost so far, short of amputation.
    People should start out with 500-1000 cal / day deficit (to lose 1-2 lb per week) from what they're currently eating (10x their weight).
    Ignore "net", ignore exercise, just eat 10x your healthy goal weight in total calories.
  • HappyAnna2014
    HappyAnna2014 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to start by walking, then when I have better fitness, maybe start at the gym. I'm seriously out of shape, so getting in better shape can only help. :)
  • jrpenafiel
    Options
    saving this because of the second reply on this post
  • MKEgal
    Options
    The CDC says to maintain weight, do at least 150 minutes of moderate-intensity cardio per week.
    That can be going for a 30-min walk after dinner every night.
    Personally I don't like gyms... too many people and eyes watching
    Most people are ignoring everyone else.
    I only really notice others if they walk nearby, or are being a lunk.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    It's the long, slow stuff with a program kept up for months that will show results. Distance swimming, jogging/running.

Nah.
    +1

I can get a massive calorie burn running hill sprint repeats for 30 minutes or run a slow seven miles in 70 minutes They burn the same calories therefore I get the same weight loss result.

OP~ Just find something you like and go with it.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cardio is the most efficient way to burn calories.

Most weight loss is due to controlling calories in, not exercising them away.

Start with walking, move up to an elliptical.

i would suggest that HIIT is more effective at burning calories. But some put HIIT in with cardio.

OP, as other said, calories control weight loss, maintenance and gains. Resistance training (when combined with adequate protein levels) will help maintain your lean body mass, provide strength gains, and maintain metabolic functions. Cardio/HIIT will provide you good burns and cardio health. Personally, you should do a combination of both cardio and weight training to get the best of both worlds. But I will note, I have seen a lot greater body changes with weight training than i ever did with HIIT/Cardio programs.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I swear everyday, the people on here amaze me. It's like no matter the topic you have to be A**es. Why? Are you that unhappy? If you think her post is silly, guess what? Dont reply. Why use your time to be snarky and rude? I just don't get it. I guess because Ive never ran with the mean girls and my self esteem has never been that low. But anyway, to OP. Any cardio will help lose weight. Swimming by far will give you the biggest calorie burn with the least amount of stress on your joints. But just find something you like and do it. If your gym has classes try them out. Good Luck!
    Amen.

Make use of the Ignore feature. Click the arrow next to their name and click to ignore that user. Zap! Poof! Nonsense eliminated. You never see another post! :)

Spend a couple days doing that with anyone who is rude, picking on people personally, name-calling like a kindergartener...very quickly, the boards become a much happier and supportive place.

I never knew this was an option. Thanks so much because I just can't deal with meanness on any level. Theres no need for it. She didn't ask one question about her intake. So why even respond about putting the fork down? Anyway, thanks!
    No problem. I was glad when it was pointed out to me, too. :)
  • ScottDowell
    ScottDowell Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    According to me jogging, walking fastly, aerobics and cardio is most effective and best exercises for weight loss.