Sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

There is no single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Well, except pineapple as that shiz is evil.

Like we're supposed to believe you, Ed? :wink:

I think pineapple gets a bad rap, apart from when it contaminates a pizza and then, yes, it is evil
  • Niff314
    Niff314 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Pineapple is awesome in my whey shakes. Omnomnom.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

There is no single worst ingredient in the modern diet. Well, except pineapple as that shiz is evil.

Like we're supposed to believe you, Ed? :wink:

LMFAO!!!
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I find the problem with sugar is that it triggers an insulin response, making you more hungry. Keeping to my diet has been relatively easy since giving up sugar.

Which is precisely what you are aiming to do if you are wanting to gain muscle mass.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Added Sugar is the reason why most of us are overweight!

I'm on the wagon again - i.e. off cookies - candy etc until Christmas - it's the only way I can do this.

Why on earth would this matter to someone trying to GAIN WEIGHT.

Jeeeesus, what has become of the "aim to gain" subforum?
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I was doing some research. I learned that the sugar from fruits is not really a bad thing. Apparently they are locked within the fiber which the body needs to break down before the sugar is released and as such the sugar is released slowly into the system. This does not cause your body to react to an influx of energy the same way it does from 'added sugar' and therefore does not cause any spikes such as your insulin levels.

Hope I understood that correctly and bring on the fruit!
  • sensitivefool
    sensitivefool Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I personally feel that fruits and veggies with sugar is just fine. I would personally forego the yogurt...
    I mean, it's not like you're eating giant bags of sour patch kids.
    I somehow keep my sugar low... If It helps you can always double check and rethink the s content before actually eating it...
    :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies guys.

I was doing some research. I learned that the sugar from fruits is not really a bad thing. Apparently they are locked within the fiber which the body needs to break down before the sugar is released and as such the sugar is released slowly into the system. This does not cause your body to react to an influx of energy the same way it does from 'added sugar' and therefore does not cause any spikes such as your insulin levels.

Hope I understood that correctly and bring on the fruit!

Yes, eating carbs with fiber does lessen the insulin spikes. That does not mean your insulin does not get raised. The difference is that, with fiber your insulin goes up some and stays there for a long period of time whereas with carbs not included with fiber your insulin goes up quicker, but goes down quicker. In a normal person, this doesn't mean too much except for the possibility of low energy about 2 hours after eating a high carb with no fiber meal (think traditional Thanksgiving fare with the potatoes, stuffing, yams, dinner rolls, etc It's not the tryptophan that puts you in a coma, it's the insulin from the high carb meal wearing off). For T2 diabetics, it means even less unless you have a tendency towards dangerous high or low numbers. The A1C test that is taken every 3 months shows the average blood sugar levels over that 3 month period and it doesn't matter if you have had peaks and valleys or a fairly level amount of insulin. This is why T2D's are told to monitor total carbs, not net carbs.

in other words, eating fruit is good but for most people the only difference between eating the sugars in fruit and other sugars is a possible, temporary, change in energy. Sugar found in fruit is not more healthy than added sugar, but the other things you ingest along with that sugar is. Same thing with flour. Eating things made with white flour will spike your insulin, but it will go down quickly too. Eating whole grains with fiber will raise the insulin to a lower amount and keep it there for a longer period of time.