Strong reaction to public humiliation = Over sensitive

Options

Replies

• MoveitlikeManda
    MoveitlikeManda Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I think you did great, I would have probably come out with something really "intelligant" like

"Fu*k off ya d!ck"

:laugh:
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    This guy was being majorly rude, insensitive and completely arrogant. He would have never gone up to a thin person and said that. What an a***hole.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness! I love it..skinny cow? that is a chemical **** storm if i ever saw one..i used to eat them 2 years ago regularly then saw that trans fat is the SEOND ingredient.. 100 calorie trans fat is what your disgusting and sticking to your arteries. ik. Dark/plain chocolate/york bars are so good .

All he could have said organic is good for you…skinny cow? omw. low calories does not = healthy and good 4 you eesh
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    Oh give the guy a break! He's just using the personality the marines gave him

Thank you for classifying all Marines as rude. How about we turn it around and say he's just using the personality that his male chromosomes gave him? You would call it sexist and say not all men are rude. Making blanket statements like that makes you look ignorant.

Sincerely,
    A United States Marine

QFT

OP, what makes you believe the young man was a Marine? Was he in uniform? Did you ask to see his ID?
  • weight2go
    weight2go Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Good for you. A woman with balls:flowerforyou: . At 51 TOM still visits me and it is only time that I have a hard time with controlling my cravens. Im like this, if you havent walked in their shoes you have no idea what their story is and unless someone asks for help, dont give it.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    OP: (in case it isn't clear, this is OH SNAP + clapping)
    giphy.gif
  • martinbeks
    martinbeks Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Wow. That was incredibly rude of him. You're absolutely right that he had no idea what was going on in your life. Besides, if you're treating yourself to Good Chocolate, forget skinny cow. Not nearly as delicious. And honestly, not nearly as healthy, IMO (fake sugars, blah blah).

He was probably looking for some poor unsuspecting person to be his good deed for the day.:flowerforyou:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Oh give the guy a break! He's just using the personality the marines gave him

Pardon me?
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    high five!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    When did someone's right to give unsolicited and unwanted advice begin trumping someones right to shop in peace?

All the people saying he was trying to be helpful - so what? Did she want the advice? Ask for it? No. Her right to shop undisturbed ought to trump some twatwaffle (best word EVER) who feels like they should be dispensing chocolate wisdom. I'm really sick of hearing "you should have been grateful for the advice" - F that, little Eva.

If someone wants advice, they'll ask. I don't want to live in a society where anyone can go handing out their special brand of crap wrapped up to look like concern, and I'm supposed to be grateful for it. It's simply not appropriate.

Same for if he was 'flirting' - that's called 'negging' - trying to get to a girl by attacking her self esteem so she feels grateful for the attention. Douche move.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Good job keeping under control. I'd have just said STFU and ignored him. Peeps need to mind their own business.

yep!
    stfu sounds like it suits this situation just fine, I'd have probably shot him the finger before the words came out though :blushing:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    He may have been trying to offer good advice, but failed miserably. I'm in no way making excuses for him, but your reaction was a little over the top too. Had I been in your shoes, I may have just acknowledged him with a short reply or nod of the head and dismissed him.

Everyone here seems to be able to interpret his intent. Maybe they're right; maybe they're wrong. No reason to get all worked up over it.

As for the Marine factor -- I give him a pass for his service.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    So since I moved to the south I'm "targeted" less and less, which is awesome. People making snide remarks or just generally not minding their business is becoming few and far between. Today was not the case.

I was trying to decide between two different chocolates. "TOM" is visiting and one of the few times I'll have GOOD chocolate is during this particular time of the month. It is all logged. Whatever.

From the corner of my eye I saw a young-ish and pretty attractive marine approach me. He just stood there for a minute then said...

" If you're GOING to eat chocolate anyway, you should try skinny cow. There's less calories."

W...T...F ?

I blush really easily. I could tell my face was probably dark dark dark red. First instinct was I should just start crying. I'm emotional, I'm having cravings, I don't want to be in public with the other half dozen people in this aisle hearing what he just said to me. But no, I took a deep breath, turned to him and said "Listen. I know you think you're helping. But you don't know me. I'm a stranger. You don't know that I've already lost 80 lbs and continue to lose. You don't know that I count calories. And you apparently don't know that it's just rude to approach anyone publicly like this the way you just did to me. Just thought you should know that before you try to pull this on anyone else."

I turned back to the chocolate, but the guy actually scoffed and said "Really? Good luck being sensitive all your life. Jesus." then started walking away. I said "I'm not sensitive. I'm being stern with someone who obviously has no home training. Have a nice day." The last part I half shouted since he was already walking down the aisle and he just waved me off. But at that point we had already gotten a few looks from other people. I don't care. I'm tired of the people who think that they're doing "us" a favor. You're not. My life is not your business. If you're not my doctor or my significant other, please stay out of it unless I invite you. Thanks.

Happy Friday people -noms on chocolate-

HUGE HIGH FIVE to you!!!
  • ferniejoy
    ferniejoy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    You were awesome and totally appropriate. I wish I always was that clever. You reproved him in just the right way. Kudos!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As a southern girl, I'm happy to hear that you have found the south to be more gentle!

As for the jerk, good for you telling him off! When people are so rude and unkind to me, my brain shuts down in shock, and I would have just stood there, or cried! You are NOT over sensitive, he was rude.
  • ferniejoy
    Options
    I would thank any person in the armed forces for their service. They are amazing with that! However, it does not.give him permission to insult an American he is supposed to be defending. She did not behave in an overly sensitive manner at all.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    So glad you spoke up!!! So many people in that same situation would have just let it go.

You're right. People think they're trying to help, but don't realize that it isn't. Since when did it become socially acceptable to do this sort of thing? It's not like anyone would go up to someone else and say, "You know that mole on your face - I know someone who can take care of that..." or to someone who uses the crutches with the arm braces "You know....you should just get a wheelchair....it'll be easier to get around that way."
  • Relentless_0ne
    Options
    He may have been trying to offer good advice, but failed miserably. I'm in no way making excuses for him, but your reaction was a little over the top too. Had I been in your shoes, I may have just acknowledged him with a short reply or nod of the head and dismissed him.

Everyone here seems to be able to interpret his intent. Maybe they're right; maybe they're wrong. No reason to get all worked up over it.

As for the Marine factor -- I give him a pass for his service.

Thats easy for you to say you arent the one who is constantly "targeted" and having to deal with "people making snide remarks or just generally not minding their business" It's a real issue plaguing society today and if not kept in check, who knows what will become of us?

I mean, enough is enough already. Let that be a lesson to anyone who "targets" the OP or anyone else, ever again! Good for you!

hurray.gif

*high five
  • ferniejoy
    Options
    The military people I know are all incredibly polite and would not say such things. I do think the young marine was negging, which is abusive.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I think that when people are behaving inappropriately in public, especially in a way that can make someone feel bad, they need to be told that their actions are hurtful and misplaced. He thought what he was doing was acceptable. It is not. I thought that her response was extremely mature and that he opened himself up for constructive criticism the second he pushed his nose into someone else's business. She did not try to make him feel bad about what he did; she even sugar coated it for him, "Listen, I know you think you're helping." She indicated that she didn't think he had poor intent, but that he still shouldn't do what he was doing. She would have been just as valid to say, "Mind your own business, *kitten*" loud enough for the whole store to hear.