Does anyone feel like their goals are a million miles away?

Options

Replies

• walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    There is some excellent advice so far about setting mini goals along the way.

Its one day at a time, linking consistent good days together. What is the next right thing I can do today to get to my goal and make that choice.
  • carolinaem
    carolinaem Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have weight loss goals- but no timeline. I have written on my bathroom mirror (dry erase marker) my current goal along with goals met. My first goal was 9 lbs, and now I am working on my second goal of 6 lbs (#lbs/6). Setting a timeline puts too much pressure on me when I know weight loss isn't always linear and some pounds are harder to lose than others.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way so I set up mini goals and take it one step at a time. One thing you should know about weight loss: DON'T RUSH IT! It seems that when I rush I set myself up for failure.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I think that is why I gave up so many times in the past. I would look at how much I had to go and I would tell myself I couldn't do it.

I put myself out into the community and have met some amazing people and gotten so much helpful advice. I've also read so much about other people's successes.

I set small goals for myself. Daily, weekly, monthly.

I don't look at the big picture anymore and I literally take it 1 pound at a time. Some days, I literally take it an hour at a time.

I have changed my whole mindset about weight loss and fitness and it's changed my relationship with my mind, my body and my food.

Good luck, I hope you meet all the goals you set for yourself! :flowerforyou:
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Yeah but thats probably because I made it my personal goal to be able to see my abs XD
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Yes!!!! And if I could just be freaken patient, I would realize that time goes by, quickly and I will be where I want to be in no time. I have to keep telling myself that.
  • QuillensMom
    QuillensMom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    As others have said having smaller goals along the way are very helpful with feeling successful and seeing results and not getting overwhelmed.
    I also think having fitness goals can be helpful, not just the number on the scale. Like for me I started out saying ok I want to be able to walk to the plaza and back. It's right around 7 miles. Once I did that up to doing 10 miles, 3 days a week. I also wanted to be able to go bike riding with my husband. Not keep up mind you but not feeling like Im going to pass out. Fitting into an old item of clothing that I couldn't wear anymore but didn't want to toss. Things like that I find are helpful as well. It takes time to get healthier.
  • leesyc81
    leesyc81 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    What I did to keep positive and motivated is I set small goals to reach at achievable dates, which I always smashed. Funnily, now I'm so close to my goal I'm feeling like it's a million miles away and I'm struggling not to over eat most days so I'm pretty much maintaining. I need to set a new goal ie lose 4lb by November and treat myself to a new handbag. Without a time frame I'm not consistent at all!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I do and I don't. Like others have said I set small goals and celebrate what I've lost. My weight is a result of a lifetime and my weightloss is a result of a few months. By the end of this it will be nearly two years to reach my goal but it's not a lifetime.
  • melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Here are 2 post-its I keep on my desk :

"Don't starve, don't binge. Eat right, exercise. You will get there."

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."

I also keep pink note cards with my goals and the reasons I do this : to be a good example for my daughter, to enjoy clothes shopping, etc. It's easy to loose sight of why we are putting ourselves trough all of this!! Hang on!
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I work in 10 pound increments. For example, my current weight is 192, so my next goal is to get into the 180s. Next goal after that is the 170s, and so on. i started at 203, so my first goal was to get to ONEderland. Set small goals that will help you meet your long term goal.

I started at 203 also and I was thrilled to get into the 190's then the 180's and now working toward 170's. For me ten pounds at a time makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere rather than focusing on what I have to lose in total.
  • creativeace
    Options
    yeah, you aren't alone...
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like their goals are a million miles away?

My first goal is to lose 14lbs by mid November. It sounds so achievable but previous failures make me feel like its year away and I am afraid of failing again.

I am only one day in and this worry is hanging over me.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone overcome this feeling and won? My diet perspective is seriously warped after years of the same cycles.

Do I feel like my goal of losing 102 lbs is a million miles away? Yes. And that goal of running a half marathon next December? Yes (that one I'm actually happy is a million miles away :P ). My other short term goals? No, those are just around the corner.

I broke down my goals into smaller goals. I now have 5 weight loss goals and 5 fitness goals. None of those goals have time limitations on them except for the half marathon (it is a specific one held annually that means a lot to me). I don't like putting a timer on myself. I certainly didn't put a timer on myself when gaining all this weight. If I missed a weight loss goal on some timer I put on myself, I would feel very discouraged. Without that timer, I know I'm going to hit it. It's only a matter of when.

I've done the lose weight-gain weight cycle about 3 times now. I'm done. No more yo-yo diet for me. This plan will work. I've seen it work. I also know I'm not going to fail. I had that revelation this weekend, and it was so tremendous for me, I literally cried for a good hour. I'm never going to be at this weight again. I won't let myself. I believe in myself, because I want it that bad, and it's all about choices. The weight gain isn't something that just happens. It's a choice. As much as I've been dodging that realization, it's true. I chose to not watch what I was eating or exercise, and I gained weight. Now I'm chosing to eat selectively and exercise for life. I'm not coming back here ever again.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    That's 2 pounds a week and extremely aggressive. From experience, I'd focus on the things you can control: logging every bite that goes into your mouth and getting at least 30 minutes of vigorous activity five days a week.

The weight will come of in it's own time - you'll have days up and down. But, if you DO everything right, you'll lose the weight.

And yes, when I started out, I was obsessive at the math. When could I reach my goal weight? What if I did this? What if I did that?

The thing is that the first 10% of your body weight is a HUGE change. Halfway there is a HUGE change. Goal is kind of meh, and you'll probably have new, improved goals by then anyway. So focus on getting the most out of where you are right now.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like their goals are a million miles away?

My first goal is to lose 14lbs by mid November. It sounds so achievable but previous failures make me feel like its year away and I am afraid of failing again.

I am only one day in and this worry is hanging over me.

Anyone else feel the same? Anyone overcome this feeling and won? My diet perspective is seriously warped after years of the same cycles.
    I stopped plotting my weight into the calendar like appointments. It created nothing but stress to me, expectations that I was unable to meet, and I was miserable. It's good to have a realistic idea of how quickly/slowly it is possible to lose weight, but what I prefer now is to view the whole lifestyle change and realise that my weight is only an indirect effect of it; I don't put too much focus on what the scale tells me now.

As for being able to remain patient and committed, I think it is beneficial to look both backwards and forwards. If you only ever remind yourself of what is still left undone, you will never be proud and happy of already achieved things. Celebrate also non-scale victores (NSV). And go to the source of why you have excess weight currently, aim to prevent anything that could cause your weight to increase in the future (= permanent lifestyle change).

Just remember the perspective and pat yourself on the back.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Just over 13 months ago when i started my WOE and joined this forum i recall setting up my ticker and seeing those daunting 200lb+ digits to reach my "goal".

Just took it one day and lb at a time and before i knew it... its now.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. Yes, I realize that the end goal is going to take forever to reach. There's nothing to be done about it, so I just don't think about that. :)

Everything I do is to reach that end goal, but I concentrate on the now. What do I have to do today to make this happen?

Little things come up that make me happy, so I think more about those. "Ooh, I can't wait until..." things. I can't wait until I wear that pair of shorts I kept all these years. I can't wait to change the 2 in 200 to a 1. I can't wait until I hit these big mile markers (e.g. 175, 150.) Every ten pound marker, every new size I fit into...it all becomes part of the fun and the focus.

Exercise. What can I add.? How does it feel? Can I do something I couldn't do when I was 250 pounds of fat? Do I like it? How can I make my body better? Should I go back to the weight machines? Should I try running? It all adds variety and is good for my body. :)

Right now, I still am not sure what my end weight will even be. Still too fat to carve that number in stone. But at 181.8 (for three damn days straight!), I'm really excited about hitting 180. And the big 175 is coming up, so I'm jazzed about that. I'm even looking forward to having 150 as my next mile marker, lol. And getting into size 14. It's about to happen.

I have added new exercise like planking. I do crunches and six inches every day and feel my abdomen being stronger, less of a drain on my back. I pull heavy weight through the water. I signed up at a gym again (God help me.) As the weather cools off, I'll get out and walk more. :) I feel good. I'm proud of me.

I gross out at myself every day. So much fat. And the loose skin is really bugging me (it cannot be fixed! Argh!) I think about how much I've lost and how fat I still am. Occasionally, I think about how very much harder it will be to lose the second half of my weight than it was to lose the first half. But I know I'm a work in progress and that it will happen...and I go back to making it happen.

At the weight I am now, every ten pounds shows marked improvement. That, in itself, is a huge accomplishment. I used to go 20 or 30 pounds and say, "I just don't see much difference..." Because there was so much fat! It didn't MAKE much difference. But NOW! Now it does. I did that. I got to the point where it really shows. So, yay! That's much more fun to focus on than, "OMG, I'm so fat."

And I will get to the point where I'm thin. I'll say, "I'm as good as I can be. I did it." I know I can get there,because I got here. So, the long term goal...I'm working on it every day.

Don't know if any of that helps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I started with wanting to lose about 20 lbs, and was doing that using diet and exercise. Watching what I was eating, and starting to increase my phys. At the time that was running as it fitted neatly into my life at the time, in a way that other options didn't.

20lbs seemed like a lot, but it really was a question of one day at a time and tracking the progress. For me it became more important to start thinking about my running performance as it was more tangible and I could see both near term goals and longer term. I'd found the weight loss goal not all that motivating and a bit arbitrary. I used a Couch to 5K plan to get running, so over that 9 weeks (12 in practice) there were lots of smaller goals; run for 5 minutes, run for 12 minutes, run for 20 minutes until I could do 30 minutes continuously. I then used an improver plan for a bit and then set my objectives a little higher, 10km distance and then 10km within an hour.

Now I'm nearing the end of a half marathon plan and it's been the same. Keep stretching, keep pushing the boundaries.

Break it all up into easily achievable chunks, to make it more manageable, and try to find something meaningful to you. Also time bound it, so that you can see when the steps are working.

Equally, be prepared for the unexpected that will disrupt your progress. Don't let it derail you. I mentioned taking 12 weeks to complete a 9 week plan. A couple of times I had stuff that just got in the way of running, mainly work related, so I had to step back once and repeat a week, and also missed a week. In the last month I've not been too well and my training mileage has halved, so I've reset my expectations of the race I have coming up.
  • srdeaver
    srdeaver Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do! It comes off so slow.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Many of us have the on-again, off-again relationship with weight loss. My suggestion: don't try to do what has failed for you in the past.

Set different goals. Either smaller goals (5 pound increments) or for the first 2-4 weeks don't focus on weight at all. Focus on logging daily & being consistent. Or focus on getting X fruits and Y veggies per day. Or 8 cups of water. Or a certain # of steps per day, exercise minutes per week. Set goals for fitness/nutrition/accountability to start with to get the ball rolling.