Left-over Canned Pumpkin--what to do???

Options

Replies

• Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Update: Today I added 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin to one serving of whole grain pancake mix and they turned out great. Very mild pumpkin flavor. A great way to get in some extra fiber!
  • SaraWutzke
    Options
    Maple-Pumpkin Pancakes, which are actually pretty healthy with a couple of substitutions.

I'll put the recipe in the recipe section, or you can msg me and I"ll email it to you!
  • blakgarnet
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!

Pumpkin is full of nutrients that are excellent for any pets and also acts as a terrific (and CHEAP) wormer. I second the pets idea :)

It's a good "trots" remedy for dogs also.... never had success getting cats to eat it, no matter what I mix it in.

As a vet I can tell you while it's not bad for dogs or cats to eat canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling), the only benefit is added fiber to their diet. It is not a wormer, although if your pet has worms, you will probably see some of the adults come out due to the added movement of fiber through the GI tract, it will not kill any of the eggs which are still in your pet and are just going to develop into adults. If your pet has loose BMs due to stress or inflammatory bowel disease, pumpkin can be a good solution, but otherwise has not benefit other than the nutrients it supplies to all of us.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Turkey Pumpkin Chilli

( I made it with ground chicken)

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients:

# 1 lb 93/7 Lean Ground Turkey
    # 1 medium chopped white onion
    # 6 oz chili sauce (or make your own)
    # 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
    # 15 oz stewed tomatoes
    # 15 oz kidney beans (drain and thoroughly rinse)
    # 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    # 2 tbsp chili powder
    # 1 tsp black pepper
    # 1/2 cup lower-sodium chicken broth

Directions:

Cook turkey over medium-high heat until cooked through. Throw turkey and all other ingredients in a slow-cooker and cook for 3-4 hours until well combined and turkey becomes tender.
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Tried this yesterday:

1/4 cup pumpkin puree (26 cals)
    2 egg whites (30 cals)
    1 Tbsp chia seed (30 cals)
    1 Tbsp water
    2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa (25 cals)
    1-2 tsp honey or sweetener of your choice (artificial would work, if you don't want to spare the cals = 42 cals)
    optional: 1 tbsp semi-sweet chocolate chips (70 cals but I'm worth it!)

Mix it all together in a mug and toss it into the microwave for 1 1/2 - 2 mins.

Wow - If you can't get by without a choc fix, this will do the trick. If you don't have chia seeds, leave out the chia and water and add 1 tsp of oil. Or replace the egg whites, chia and water with 1 whole egg.

For my concoction, with the choc chips and 2 tsp honey:
    Calories 223
    Carbs 35
    Fat 8
    Protein 12
    Fiber 8
    Sodium 107

YUM!
  • micheleestes61513
    Options
    I know it's too late for your opened can of pumpkin, but in the future, use the pumpkin as a soup filler. It will blend in with the broth and make it creamier...and also better for you!
  • deanneashley
    Options
    Yes, smoothies are a great idea. In fact, I have done that before. I like making a banana/carrot/pumpkin smoothie with cinnamon added. Very tasty.

Soup, huh? Never would have thought of that. Has anyone else actually made soup with it? How is the consistency?

its like a tomato soup! its good to give a try
  • anbegley
    anbegley Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mix a small amount into oatmeal. Makes a great cold weather breakfast even yummier : )
  • kimel
    kimel Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Here is a great muffin recipe.

PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CHIP MUFFINS

Ingredients

1 cup buttermilk
    1 cup pure pumpkin puree
    1 cup dark brown sugar OR 1/2 cup of splenda brown sugar
    1 omega or regular egg
    2 Large carrots (grated)
    1 tlbsp. of Vanilla
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or little tubs)

In a large bowl, Mix Together all of the wet ingredients. Let Sit for 5 minutes.

Dry Ingredients

1/2 Kellogg's All-Bran Buds
    1 1/4 cups Nurti-Blend Flour by Robin Hood
    1/2 cup Wheat Bran
    3/4 cup Ground Flaxseed
    2 tlbsp. Wheat germ
    2 tlbsp. cinnamon
    2 tsp. Baking Powder
    1 tsp. Baking Soda
    1/4 cup Hershey's Dark Chocolate Chips OR Raisins.
    In a medium bowl, using a wire whisk or fork, mix together all of the dry ingredients.

Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined.
    Using a 12 muffin pan, spray with pam or cooking spray.
    Bake for 23 to 25 minutes on 400 degree's.

Note: Preheat oven on 400 degree's.

*You can replace in wet ingredients, 1 tlbsp. of Olive Oil instead of Ground Flaxseed.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    feed it to your dogs if you have any, it is supposed to be really good for them!

Nope, just cats.

If it's the plain non-spiced kind, it's good for them if they need to "get the pipes moving"
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Hungry girl pumpkin enchiladas! Oh so delish!
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1293

I also like to mix it into risotto with a little sage and red pepper flake. Yum!
  • chrysnel
    Options
    I love canned pumpkin! I put it in oatmeal, chili (I have an awesome pumpkin turkey chili recipe!), pancakes, muffins, cookies, greek yogurt (with some pumpkin pie spice!), and wherever else I can think of. You can also make a pumpkin spice latté using a bit of canned pumpkin - very good! If you are interested, please let me know and I'll see if I can find the recipe :)
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Great to see some new suggestions, Thank you!!!
  • T7807
    T7807 Posts: 8
    Options
    I just made the heart healthy pumpkin and black bean soup. The best! I loved it. I'm going to have to stop at the two bowls I had and save it for tomorrow!
  • browneyesbb89
    browneyesbb89 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/pasta-creamy-pumpkin-sauce-54499.aspx

This is a link to a recipe from kraft that is one of my favorites and it is super easy. I use low fat cheese and such to slim it down and I also use less ground red pepper that what it calls for cause I always have leftovers and after it sits for a day in the fridge, the flavor gets stronger.

You could also make a pumpking smoothie. I have been wanting to make one but haven't tried it yet.

I also like making a breakfast cookie from Hungry Girl that calls for Pumpkin.
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1076
    (scroll down to the second recipe called grab n go breakfast cookies)
    These also freeze well. I make a double batch and freeze, take one out the night before for breakfast.

Pumpkin is also really good in pumpkin chilly.
  • Shinersmom
    Options
    Pumpkin soup is very good, I love it!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I add it to plain yogurt with some pumpkin pie spice and splenda.
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Got this one from a website from a figure competitor - havent tried it yet though :) Could prob use whatever granola you wanted

Pumpkin Protein Parfait

Makes 1 parfait

Ingredients:

* 1/2 cup nonfat Cottage Cheese
    * 1/2 cup nonfat Vanilla Yogurt (ie Fiber One)
    * 1/4 cup canned Pumpkin
    * 1/4 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
    * 1/2 cup fat-free Granola O's (ie Healthy Way)

Directions:

Puree cottage cheese along with yogurt, spice, and pumpkin. Alternate layers in cup using cream mixture and granola. Garnish with a few raisins.

**For added protein, add a scoop of low-fat, low-carb protein powder (ie TOPFORM's Vanilla is a GREAT choice!).

Nutrition:

Calories 232
    Total Fat 0.31g
    Sodium 65.02mg
    Total Carbohydrate 42.31g
    Dietary Fiber 7.62g
    Sugars 6.08g
    Protein 19.06g
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's also really yummy mixed into sugar-free pudding mix and some fat-free cool whip. There's a recipe somewhere on this site, but it's from a few years ago. :smile:

yum!
  • stargzrlily
    stargzrlily Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    It's also really yummy mixed into sugar-free pudding mix and some fat-free cool whip. There's a recipe somewhere on this site, but it's from a few years ago. :smile:

Yes! I did buy some butterscotch pudding for it yesterday.

Update: I mixed 1/2 cup of the canned pumpkin with a butterscotch pudding snack pack and some cinnamon for a mid morning snack and it is deeeeeelicious!