Why do so many women care what men prefer?

Options

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    How will we know how to dress or think or act or what shape we should be if a man doesn't tell us? We can't just do what makes us happy, because what if that's not what a man would like?? We need constant validation from men that we're making the right choices. I think that's what it is anyway. Let me go ask a man if I'm right.

It's a good thing we have all these helpful forum topics to guide us along the right path.

It really! Now I just have to figure out how to be in my twenties with a perfect hourglass shape, always be in a dress, and be feminine but not too clingy and make awesome sammiches and give a man his space, but let him know I'm always there for him and wear make up, but not too much. What am I missing? What else do I need to do?

You forgot the dominatrix outfit.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Because insecurities.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Serious answer - Because it's only natural to want to be attractive to the opposite sex

Joking answer - Because I said so. And pleasing me is your main goal in life, right?

You're right, Derp. If I make you a sammich, will you forgive my brazen behavior?:flowerforyou:
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I couldn't give a crap what any man thinks. The only approval I need is mine.

What!?!
    Beginning.gif
  • frayst
    Options
    Really sick of the insecurity answer. How about because it's only natural to want to appeal to the opposite sex ... it's called sexual selection. If only we could admit to ourselves that we want to secure a sexual partner instead of berating other women for wanting to do exactly that. Disclaimer: not to be mistaken for putting up with abusive, degrading, or non-reciprocating partners, aka making sammiches for a demanding man who never makes you sammiches in return and doesn't respect you.
  • _Tink_
    Options
    If a man doesn't tell me how I should be then I go full freak out mode.

200.gif

And this is why we need forums.
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    lol screw what men prefer.

giphy.gif
  • DenDweller
    DenDweller Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Remember to say that you don't give a crap at all about what men think. That way you can be fiercely independent, just like everyone else.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Serious answer - Because it's only natural to want to be attractive to the opposite sex

Joking answer - Because I said so. And pleasing me is your main goal in life, right?

You're right, Derp. If I make you a sammich, will you forgive my brazen behavior?:flowerforyou:

Better bring a beer too, you've got a lot to be sorry for missy.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    This is normal to an extent... most women want to have male sex partners, so of course we think about what men are going to find attractive.

It gets pontless when women on here ask if men prefer x or y. Obviously not all men are the same, so they aren't attracted to the same things.

I have a big butt. Some men like big butts, some don't. I'm not going to get down to an unhealthy weight and/or get liposuction just to please SOME of the men who don't like what I have.

At the end of the day all you have is yourself and you have to be comfortable in your own skin.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Because society, advertising, shows and movies all tell us to care. So we are all brought up to think (this is the majority mind you) that our worth is in our ability to make all the men want to look at us. And women go along with it.

If the man doesn't like you how you are, he isn't worth bothering with in the first place.

The reverse applies for you, too, fellas! :wink: Let the haters hate, and find the real woman you should be with.

2583079-4336037439-96097.jpg

Edit: Damn, that ended up huge. Cartman is scary up close.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    because how else are beauty and clothing companies going to make money if all us girls are only going interested in impressing ourselves? :wink:
  • yellowlemoned
    yellowlemoned Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Honest answer: Because it feels good to have other people find you attractive. Not that you should change who you are, how you act, how you think, or anything about who you are as a person, but if your boyfriend/husband/whomever think you look great in the red dress, there isn't anything wrong with wearing the red dress on a date night to please them.

Silly Answer: Because I'm totally worthless unless I have a man to complete me, and the only way to do that is change everything about who I am to fit into his perfect little wife-y mold, obviously! Duh!
  • solarpower03
    solarpower03 Posts: 12,159 Member
    Options
    Those who do, they are market centric and pragmatic. After all, one's value is determined by others. I might think I am most attractive person but if women don't think so, then, I am in living in delusion. This seems quite antithetical to what people think but is the reality.
  • _Tink_
    Options
    It gets pontless when women on here ask if men prefer x or y. Obviously not all men are the same, so they aren't attracted to the same things.

I have a big butt. Some men like big butts, some don't. I'm not going to get down to an unhealthy weight and/or get liposuction just to please SOME of the men who don't like what I have.

At the end of the day all you have is yourself and you have to be comfortable in your own skin.

This. This is exactly my point.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    lol screw what men prefer.

giphy.gif

sorry. I was composing mine while you were doing yours. Great minds! Yours is better. :laugh:
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I blame a couple of reasons...
    1. The images of ''what beauty truly is" that society crams down our throats day in and day out.
    2. insecurities (already been said but its a big reason)
    3. also I think in a way its ingrained in us as women to want to please our men.... Independence within women has grown greatly since the 60's but sometimes I think we fall back into that mindset at times. We forget that we don't NEED a man to survive therefore we don't need to try so hard to please them.

I am married and I do care that I look nice for my husband but I mostly care what I think. He does not tell me how I should be, he loves me for who I am, what I look like and what I wear and if he did try to turn me into something else I wouldn't be with him.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Those who do, they are market centric and pragmatic. After all, one's value is determined by others. I might think I am most attractive person but if women don't think so, then, I am in living in delusion. This seems quite antithetical to what people think but is the reality.

I can agree with bold
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I blame religion.