So I went to a nutritionist

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    A lot of your diary entries are by the cup or the bowlful. Unless you're weighing your food, you're probably eating quite a bit more than you think you are. Give this and the links in here a read:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

And find a way to get your protein in.

Agree. And maybe take a liquid vitamin D supplement, just walking between classes isn't enough sun.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I think the poster mentioning depression may have hit the nail on the head. It's very common for new college students to experience that and one of the most common symptoms of depression is unexplained lack of energy. Take advantage of a few free therapy sessions at your college. :-)

As for the bland cafeteria veggies, I hear you on that one! Maybe when you get a chance to go the store, stock up on some spices and hot sauces that you can bring with you to the cafeteria to add to the bland veggies. (You can put them in little travel bottles so you can bring them inconspicuously in your bag.) I keep a couple bottles of hot sauce in my office drawer to spice up bland cafeteria food and frozen meals and it makes all the difference in flavor!

Good luck!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Check with the doctor first.

Never take supplements the doctor doesn't recommend (and if you need them, he will tell you.)

Trust me - they never shy away from telling you take something if you need it. I despise swallowing all my supplements all the time, but they worked. If you can live life without ever taking a pill, enjoy that!!! :) Tap, tap, tap, "It'll be at the pharmacy!" Get this,take that, do this, don't do that. Some medical schools mustn't allow them to say: "No swimming. Risk of infection," so they spend the rest of their lives saying it as much as possible. It's their favorite damn thing to say.

Good luck!
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    OP - have a read of this thread.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?page=7

Also you have time to exercise if you want to. You need to make time, get up early in the morning and go for a run or just jump about your lounge - or replace something that isn't exercise with something that is - Instead of driving to work, get on your bike or walk - or park your car at a distance and bike, walk. Speed walk or jog at lunchtime If you don't work walk to where you are going instead of using so much transport. Its all about choice and I am in despair at your dietician for not pointing this out to you.

Regarding your dietary advice, I would replace everything that was said with everything on the sexypants link.
  • MissHolidayGolightly
    Options
    I really recommend trying to get some exercise in. It will help with energy, deperession, and weight. You're busy but that will always be the case. Best to learn to make that time for yourself now and form good, healthy habits for the long term.
  • MisStarr_83
    MisStarr_83 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    A few months ago my doctor ordered a battery of blood tests due to me feeling fatigued, sluggish, depressed, and gaining weight. She thought it might be my thyroid but checked multiple fronts. Well my thyroid was good but I had a severe vitamin D deficiency. Vit D is fat soluble and stored in the fat cells. Well since I wasn't burning fat I wasn't getting the vitamin. So she has me taking 4K IUD. I feel so much better and I am losing the weight. You might try upping your vitamin D intake, if you don't already take it.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Can't cook my own vegetables, unfortunately. I'm at college. I get about 7 hours of sleep per night, I have a busy class schedule. I have been told 7 hours is fine. No exercise, and I get sun while walking to classes.

You probably need more than 7 hours. Some people only need 7 hours, it's true, but you are learning a lot and young. A few ways to get an idea if you are getting enough sleep: is it easy to get up in the morning? do you feel rested in the morning? can you wake without an alarm clock? If you close your eyes in a dark room in the middle of the day will you be able to stay awake? If you answer no to these questions it indicates you are sleep deprived. That will mess up your energy, your mood, and make it harder to lose weight.
  • malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I really recommend trying to get some exercise in. It will help with energy, deperession, and weight. You're busy but that will always be the case. Best to learn to make that time for yourself now and form good, healthy habits for the long term.

I guess so, but right now it's going to be a stretch. My grades aren't where they need to be and any spare time I have is spent there. Exercise would mean compromising sleep, and I don't really want to go less than 6-7 hours.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    OP there're a lot of 15-25 min workouts that need no equipment and can be done in your room. If you have 15 mins, you can do them. I cannot tell you how much of a mood-upper it is just to see your improving body shape in the mirror. I guarantee that you will feel better and forget about the food being tasteless. I think that is more in your head than your tongue. I went through something similar when I first came to the US.
    Try one of these videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender There are over 200 to choose from. All the workouts are amazing in terms of results.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do you have a refrigerator with a freezer? If not, buy one. Ask your mom to cook you different sabzis in large quantities and pack it in single/double portion sized packets the next time you visit home. Freeze them all! If you can't cook or get to a grocery store, this might be your best option.
    When my mom visits me in the US from India, I make her do this for me, not because I don't cook but because I miss her cooking and like to have a couple of packets in the freezer for whenever I miss home. I know how hard being away from home is. Good food makes a lot of difference. Hope you feel better soon! :flowerforyou:

Nice to hear from a fellow desi. I have my mom make me food for a few days whenever I go home, but because the dining hall meal plan costs a good deal of money, my parents are insistent I eat the food from it as often as I can. It's bearable, I guess, but it makes me miss home even more.
    Is there a grocery store (even a convenience store?) in walking distance? You should at least be able to get some fruit.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience! :) The first thing that comes to mind is that I've eaten off of one of those meal plans you are talking about and I wonder if you are logging the right numbers for those foods. For example: Baked chicken leg prepared in college kitchen with lard (or whatever) vs baked chicken leg baked in your oven with cooking spray are two VERY different things, calorie-wise. Not that you can do much about it... but if I were in your shoes, I would try to eat the fresh stuff, like the salad bar with light dressing- as often as possible, because it's easier to track accurately. (or even light choices at the fast food spots, bc you can look up the nutrition info)
    But even if that's not the case, my concerns for you are: 7 hours of sleep is NOT much for a college student. And depression is a really big deal, and it can mess with your weight among other things. Rather than seeing the school dietitian, if I were you, I would go see the school psychologist or psychiatrist- or both. I'm not sure what your weight is, but college was when I suffered from eating disorders. ... so, maybe you can take a step back and make sure that you even need to lose weight. And if so, that your goal is realistic. And that, last but not least, you are being VERY kind to yourself while away from the comforts of home and working hard for your future. Best wishes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Why would you spend the money and time to see a nutritionist and then not follow their advice? Do you have reason to distrust her? Was she licensed?

Rhodiola is just the root of a vegetable that has medicinal uses. -- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-883-rhodiola (roseroot).aspx?activeingredientid=883&activeingredientname=rhodiola (roseroot)

What are these bland, American style vegetables to which you refer, and why must you eat them? Vegetables are as bland or spicy or savory or whatever, as you make them.

Appointments were free, she's employed by my university. I just find that what she was telling me seems contrary to what others have been telling me both on MFP and elsewhere.

The bland vegetables are what my dining hall offers. I eat exclusively what they offer, I'm on a college meal plan. I have no transportation and therefore cannot buy my own food.

Oh, the college meal plan. 'nuff said.

Do what you think is best for you, but you might ask yourself how many of the others on MFP and elsewhere are trained and board certified in nutrition.
  • mrslynah
    mrslynah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Umm OK, I just checked out your profile pic, and you are beautiful! You refer to yourself as the "chubby" kid, but that's not what I see at all!
  • rml_16
    Options
    Why would you spend the money and time to see a nutritionist and then not follow their advice? Do you have reason to distrust her? Was she licensed?

Rhodiola is just the root of a vegetable that has medicinal uses. -- http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-883-rhodiola (roseroot).aspx?activeingredientid=883&activeingredientname=rhodiola (roseroot)

What are these bland, American style vegetables to which you refer, and why must you eat them? Vegetables are as bland or spicy or savory or whatever, as you make them.

Appointments were free, she's employed by my university. I just find that what she was telling me seems contrary to what others have been telling me both on MFP and elsewhere.

The bland vegetables are what my dining hall offers. I eat exclusively what they offer, I'm on a college meal plan. I have no transportation and therefore cannot buy my own food.

Oh, the college meal plan. 'nuff said.

Do what you think is best for you, but you might ask yourself how many of the others on MFP and elsewhere are trained and board certified in nutrition.
    I'm not trained. However, I have a family full of nurses and RDs and I have seen a dietician myself and the advice the OP received seems off to me.

As someone else pointed out, it's likely she's eating more than she realizes. Just recommending a supplement like that is weird from an RD.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I'm really shocked that 50-grams of protein was considered adequate for you. If your consuming too many carbs and your protein is good at 50-grams, then did they recommend that you reduce carbs in-favor of fat? Which is fine if they did, I didn't catch that in the responses. If your calories are good then you can't just cut carbs because you're cutting total calories. You may want to find a dietician; as somebody mentioned earlier there are way different standards.

RE Rhodiola: So far I've read one peer-reviewed research and one peer-reviewed meta-analysis and neither indicate that Rhodiola is successful in increasing energy; best-case scenario is that it's unclear. Although it's seems to do better with Rats. LOL

RE Vit-B6/B12 Supp: Unless your anemic or your food choices are horrible, then there's no benefit for any real supplementation of either beyond what's in your food and at most a multi-vitamin. There is a ton of information out there about Vitamin B and pregnant women, but I don't think that's the case here. Vitamin B does not give energy either, often misunderstood. It is involved in bodily processes that help produce energy but by themselves they are not energy providing.

Definitely consult with a registered dietician and a doctor. It could be hormonal and it could also be psychological in-nature.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    My first though on reading your symptoms was thinking low functioning thyroid. I know many see this as the catch all cop out But for those who have the problem it can become life restricting especially when there is resistance to test for and treat effectively. It could be worth your while to refer to the "Stop the thyroid Madness" web site (there is also a book but the site is faster) It says many people are low in iodine which puts them at risk, it lists symptoms probably in excess of 300 (with personal groupings or dominant ones), gives possible causes and explains where issues of testing and treatment happen.

As for the what ever root, its extract is supposed to counteract the possible low thyroid function symptoms you mentioned, whether it will or not is anyone's guess. I would favour a blood test, especially as your diet is not noticeably deficient in anything. If you avoid eggs, eat little or no fish and avoid dairy or use only fat free there is a good probability your are low in iodine. You would be best off being tested for thyroid function because it monitors many of the bodies systems, digestion - sugar absorption an much more, cell regulation- replacement, menstrual health for a few. It works with the liver and other organs to eliminate toxins so it is not a thing to be taken lightly.
  • malavika413
    Options
    I'm really shocked that 50-grams of protein was considered adequate for you. If your consuming too many carbs and your protein is good at 50-grams, then did they recommend that you reduce carbs in-favor of fat? Which is fine if they did, I didn't catch that in the responses. If your calories are good then you can't just cut carbs because you're cutting total calories. You may want to find a dietician; as somebody mentioned earlier there are way different standards.

RE Rhodiola: So far I've read one peer-reviewed research and one peer-reviewed meta-analysis and neither indicate that Rhodiola is successful in increasing energy; best-case scenario is that it's unclear. Although it's seems to do better with Rats. LOL

RE Vit-B6/B12 Supp: Unless your anemic or your food choices are horrible, then there's no benefit for any real supplementation of either beyond what's in your food and at most a multi-vitamin. There is a ton of information out there about Vitamin B and pregnant women, but I don't think that's the case here. Vitamin B does not give energy either, often misunderstood. It is involved in bodily processes that help produce energy but by themselves they are not energy providing.

Definitely consult with a registered dietician and a doctor. It could be hormonal and it could also be psychological in-nature.

She told me my fat and protein were fine the way they were, but that my carbs needed to go down. And that my calories are fine, even though I think they might be too high. I don't know...
  • rml_16
    Options

She told me my fat and protein were fine the way they were, but that my carbs needed to go down. And that my calories are fine, even though I think they might be too high. I don't know...
    If you reduce carbs but not calories, you have to make up those calories in fat or protein. All calories are either crabs, fat or protein. She didn't recommend which to up in favor of reducing carbs?
  • malavika413
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for sharing your experience! :) The first thing that comes to mind is that I've eaten off of one of those meal plans you are talking about and I wonder if you are logging the right numbers for those foods. For example: Baked chicken leg prepared in college kitchen with lard (or whatever) vs baked chicken leg baked in your oven with cooking spray are two VERY different things, calorie-wise. Not that you can do much about it... but if I were in your shoes, I would try to eat the fresh stuff, like the salad bar with light dressing- as often as possible, because it's easier to track accurately. (or even light choices at the fast food spots, bc you can look up the nutrition info)
    But even if that's not the case, my concerns for you are: 7 hours of sleep is NOT much for a college student. And depression is a really big deal, and it can mess with your weight among other things. Rather than seeing the school dietitian, if I were you, I would go see the school psychologist or psychiatrist- or both. I'm not sure what your weight is, but college was when I suffered from eating disorders. ... so, maybe you can take a step back and make sure that you even need to lose weight. And if so, that your goal is realistic. And that, last but not least, you are being VERY kind to yourself while away from the comforts of home and working hard for your future. Best wishes.

Thank you for your compliments and well wishes. :) 7 hours is way more than most college students get around here. Most of my friends get 2-4 hours a night, and they tell me I'm sleeping too much. I'm getting the nutritional info from the nutritional info the university posts online. They aren't clear about portion sizes, so I usually round up.

I've gotten help for the depression and am currently working through that right now. I am indeed overweight and chubby, by several pounds, and that has to be addressed for my own self worth and health.
  • malavika413
    Options

If you reduce carbs but not calories, you have to make up those calories in fat or protein. All calories are either crabs, fat or protein. She didn't recommend which to up in favor of reducing carbs?

Nope. I think she did want me to replace grains with vegetables, which would keep my carb levels similar. She didn't tell me to up protein or fat.