Anyone have any Crock Pot Recipes to share?

Replies

• kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Just made this tonight, takes about 20 minutes to prep before work, tastes amazing and makes the house smell wonderful when you get home:

CROCK POT POT ROAST

2-3 lb roast
    5 carrots, chopped
    4 medium potatoes chopped or 15-20 whole baby potatoes
    1 yellow onion, sliced
    salt and pepper
    1-2 garlic cloves, minced
    onion soup packet or other seasonings

Rub the roast in salt and pepper and brown on all sides over medium-high heat, about 4 min/side. Place the roast in the crock pot with chopped carrots, potatoes, onion, and garlic. Add a packet of onion soup mix or your own spice blend, I just throw in a little of whatever i.e. garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, a little chili powder, whatever you like. Pour enough water over to cover the roast and veggies. Cook on the low setting for 8-10 hours and voila! Everyone will be impressed.
  • Soggynode
    Soggynode Posts: 1,179 Member
    Bump... It has finally cooled off enough to start thinking about soups and stews.
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    i live out of crock pot meals... i am single and work 2 jobs, so once a month i fire both of mine up, then portion and freeze... so, here are some of my favorites...

Mexican Chicken Soup

1-1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
    2 teaspoons canola oil
    1/2 cup water
    1 envelope reduced-sodium taco seasoning
    1 can (32 ounces) V8 juice
    1 jar (16 ounces) salsa
    1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
    6 tablespoons reduced-fat cheddar cheese
    6 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
    2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
    1. In a large nonstick skillet, saute chicken in oil until no longer pink. Add water and taco seasoning; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is well coated.
    Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in the V8 juice, salsa, beans and corn. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until heated through. Serve with cheese, sour cream and cilantro. Yield: 6 servings.

Sweet Glazed Chicken Thighs (i swap pineapple juice for Trop 50 OJ and skip the rice)

2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    Cooking spray
    1 cup pineapple juice

2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    2 tablespoons lower-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons water
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    3 cups hot cooked rice
    3 tablespoons sliced green onions

1. Sprinkle chicken with pepper and salt. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken to pan. Cook 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer chicken to a 4-quart electric slow cooker coated with cooking spray. Stir pineapple juice into drippings, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Remove from heat; stir in brown sugar and soy sauce. Pour juice mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 2 1/2 hours.

2. Transfer chicken to a serving platter with a slotted spoon. Increase heat to HIGH. Combine 3 tablespoons water and cornstarch in a small bowl; add to sauce in slow cooker, stirring with a whisk. Cook 2 minutes or until sauce thickens, stirring constantly with whisk.

3. Place rice on each of 6 plates. Top with chicken thighs and sauce. Sprinkle each serving with green onions.

Slow Cooker Pork and Apple Curry

2 pounds boneless pork loin roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
    1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
    1 small onion, chopped
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 tablespoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    2 tablespoons cold water
    Hot cooked rice, optional
    1/4 cup raisins
    1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted

In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
    Increase heat to high. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until thickened, stirring once.
    Serve with rice if desired. Sprinkle with raisins and coconut. Yield: 8 servings.
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    I've made some BBQ pulled pork in my slow cooker:

Slice a white onion and two cloves of garlic and put on the bottom of the cooker in an even layer. Add around 150ml of stock. I rub a joint of pork shoulder (around 1kg) in a mix of brown sugar and smoked paprika, then put that into the cooker, and leave it to cook for 8 hours.
    Once it's cooked, I pull the fat off and shred it with two forks, pour some of my homemade BBQ sauce over the top, mix it all together, and leave it for another 30-45 minutes on a low heat to let the flavours mix together. It's delicious!
  • blpope
    blpope Posts: 163
    Bump for later!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    skinnytaste.com under recipes she has an entire section on crockpot meals. I get most of mine from there they are great she even has a great recipe for spaghetti sauce in the crockpot. She even gives you calorie count and weight watchers points for each meal. Check it out.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    1 bag frozen chicken breasts thawed
    1 envelope onion soup mix
    1 packet dry Italian dressing mix
    1 jar pepperonis in the juice
    1-2 tsp garlic
    Cook on low about 6-7 hours. I usually just let mine go all day while I am at work.
    throw it all in and it will shred. You can do the same with a bottom roast instead of the chicken. Soooooo delish!!!
  • lindey_lu79
    lindey_lu79 Posts: 3 Member
    Buffalo Ranch Chicken......
    3-4 Chicken Breasts
    1 bottle Franks Red Hot sauce
    1 packet of Dry Ranch dressing Mix

Place chicken breasts in crockpot , pour Franks Red Hot over Chicken, Pour packet of Ranch over Chicken and Franks. Let cook about 4-6 hours. Shred the chicken when done. Serve on hamburger buns, or soft tortillas, flat bread. IT is sooooooo good. If you like hot wings you will like this recipe. It makes the house smell amazing while it cooks :smile:

A twist on this one?
    Try using a packet of reduced-sodium taco seasoning in place of the Franks Red Hot sauce. I usually serve it with whole wheat soft tortillas, 2% shredded cheese, lettuce, pico, fat-free sour cream, guacamole. Really, anything you'd like to top it with is good!
  • lauraeisenman1
    lauraeisenman1 Posts: 30 Member
    YUM. Thank you everyone for sharing!
  • amaes01
    amaes01 Posts: 4 Member
    Bump
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    I put any type of chicken in the crock pot all day with orange juice or apple juice. Add a little toasted sesame seeds on top of chicken at the beginning, or soy sauce at the end, and it has a slight "oriental" flavor. When possible, we add vegetables the last 2-3 hours. When not possible, i microwave frozen vegetables or cut up fresh vegetables for the side dish. If hubby and son want carbohydrates, I either throw potato in the beginning, or make whatever they want as another side dish.
  • happygirl556
    happygirl556 Posts: 17 Member
    Bump thanks everyone!
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Ive done this with a chuck roast too since flank price sometimes goes up up up......it was like a fajita taco... and I browned some meat bits with flour and made a brown gravy.. with the salsa.. it makes a nice carne guisada.....if you like gravy
  • tambam69
    tambam69 Posts: 270 Member
    Bump, some good recipes, thanks
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Chuck roast, I season it any number of ways, basic steak seasoning and garlic, or chipotle, cumin, chili powder and stock if I want shredded taco meat. I have also done mushrooms on top and made a gravy afterward with the juices from the bottom.

One of the best recipes I have is Triple Cheeseburger meatloaf. Divide 2# ground beef into 3 slabs. Put one on the bottom, layer with onion, pickles, ketchup, cheese, mustard, whatever you like. Add second layer, pinch edges to seal. Repeat toppings. Pinch edges to seal and smooth out into a nice loaf. Top with ketchup.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    tagging for later
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Sweet BBQ Pulled Pork

Put 1 package of pork tenderloin in the crock
    Cover with root beer

Let cook on low/med (depending on how your crock cooks) about 6-8 hours. Drain half of the juice, add your fav BBQ sauce. Simple, fun and the kids love it.

Beef Veggie Soup

Either short beef short ribs or stew beef (brown quickly in 1tsp EVOO)
    Add to the crock pot with 1 small can sodium free beef stock
    1 can tomato puree
    1 bag frozen green beans
    1 bag frozen corn
    1 bag lima beans
    1 bag chopped baby carrots
    1 bag frozen peas
    3/4 medium russett potatoes peeled and cubed

A little sea salt, fresh cracked pepper and 2-3 cloves garlic (depends on how much you like).

Put on Medium and cook 6-8 hours.

My MIL used to add pear onions and green peppers to hers.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Bump.

My most common crock pot dish is chili. The basic recipe is:

1 pound ground beef, browned
    6 ounces onion
    6 teaspoons Christopher ranch chopped garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon cumin
    1 - 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
    15 ounce can of chili hot beans
    15 ounce can of dark red kidney beans
    9 ounces frozen corn
    4 ounce can diced green chilies
    15 ounce can of black beans
    15 ounce can of diced tomatoes with jalapeno

My slow cooker's insert is stove-top safe, so I brown the ground beef, onion and garlic on the stove first, then add the rest of the ingredients and put it in the cooker to finish.
    This makes about 10-12 servings at somewhere in the neighborhood of 250 calories per serving. We like to eat it in tortilla bowls with a little sour cream and cheese.

I generally do some variations. For instance, I think I usually add some black pepper and some cayenne pepper, but they didn't make it into my ingredient list. I'm thinking of maybe adding beer (something dark) next time.
  • lenac87
    lenac87 Posts: 383 Member
    Thanks for some great recipes!
  • nidlena
    nidlena Posts: 14 Member
    bump