Anyone have any Crock Pot Recipes to share?

southernmom3
southernmom3 Posts: 181 Member
I cooked ribs in the crock pot for supper tonight so all I will need to do is find some healthy side dishes and supper is done. All I did was put the ribs into the crock pot - cover with BBQ sauce and cook. They are fork pulling tender and taste yummy. Easier clean up than the oven cooking recipe and I do not have to heat up the house while they cook for hours either.

What crock pot dishes do you enjoy cooking? If you have any to share please do so. I am trying to use this cooking method more s my DS and I eat food food instead of fast food while my life is still so busy. Last Sunday, I did a crock pot of white beans and ham and they were yummy. First I rinsed and cleaned the dry beans. Put them with only water to cover them by about an inch. Turned the crock pot on high for about an hour or so. Turned the heat down to low and to let them cook the rest of the afternoon. I added the ham pieces I had chopped up into bite size pieces about four hours before we were going to eat. When it was supper time all I had to do was serve them in a bowl and clean up was fast. One crock pot and some bowls and spoons. To use up the leftovers, I turned them into white bean chili by adding a chili mix and a can of mild rotel to the crock pot and letting that cook while I was at work one day. That was good too.

So if you have any recipes to share that make for healthier food food suppers I would appreciate seeing them.

Replies

• WhoWasGivenToFly
    WhoWasGivenToFly Posts: 64 Member
    flanks steak or skirt steak
    juice of 1-2 limes
    1 jar salsa

place whole steak in bottom of crock pot, add lime juice and salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how your crock pot cooks.

Makes wonderful Mexican flavors shredded beef for tacos, burritos, etc.
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Bump for later......
  • Nom! That sounds yummy!
  • I made chicken soup with the remnants of a rotisserie chicken. Cooked the chicken all day with an onion and garlic cloves, then pulled out the carcass to debone and added yellow squash, carrots, celery, nuked potatoes (to make sure they were cooked in time for dinner) and a can of garbanzo beans. Cooked on high for an hour, then returned the chicken meat sans bones... and cooked some more until dinnertime.

We are definitely going to start eating more soups and stews from the crockpot now that the weather is starting to get comfortable again!
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    I love my crock pot! I like to make chicken fajitas, taco chicken, and marinara meatballs. Today I'm trying a new recipe....philly cheese steak. If the smell in my house is any indication, it is going to be delicious! :smile:

Chicken Fajitas: Frozen chicken breast, sliced onion, sliced green pepper, and a package of fajita seasoning. Cook on low all day. Shred, top with cilantro, and eat on tortillas/lavash bread.

Taco Chicken: Frozen chicken breast and a package of reduced sodium taco seasoning. Cook on low all day. Shred and eat on tortillas/lavash bread with favorite condiments.

Marinara Meatballs: Frozen beef meatballs and Barilla marinara sauce with a little added water. Cook on low all day. Serve on toasted bollilo rolls. I like to put garlic powder on rolls and toast for a few minutes and then add meatballs and marinara and shredded mozzarella cheese and toast until cheese is melted.
  • southernmom3
    flanks steak or skirt steak
    juice of 1-2 limes
    1 jar salsa

place whole steak in bottom of crock pot, add lime juice and salsa. Cook on low for 6-8 hours depending on how your crock pot cooks.

Makes wonderful Mexican flavors shredded beef for tacos, burritos, etc.

this sounds yummy - thanks for sharing
  • southernmom3
    I made chicken soup with the remnants of a rotisserie chicken. Cooked the chicken all day with an onion and garlic cloves, then pulled out the carcass to debone and added yellow squash, carrots, celery, nuked potatoes (to make sure they were cooked in time for dinner) and a can of garbanzo beans. Cooked on high for an hour, then returned the chicken meat sans bones... and cooked some more until dinnertime.

We are definitely going to start eating more soups and stews from the crockpot now that the weather is starting to get comfortable again!
    this sounds great! love the rotisserie chicken from our grocery store. thanks for sharing this will have to give it a try soon
  • southernmom3
    I love my crock pot! I like to make chicken fajitas, taco chicken, and marinara meatballs. Today I'm trying a new recipe....philly cheese steak. If the smell in my house is any indication, it is going to be delicious! :smile:

Chicken Fajitas: Frozen chicken breast, sliced onion, sliced green pepper, and a package of fajita seasoning. Cook on low all day. Shred, top with cilantro, and eat on tortillas/lavash bread.

Taco Chicken: Frozen chicken breast and a package of reduced sodium taco seasoning. Cook on low all day. Shred and eat on tortillas/lavash bread with favorite condiments.

Marinara Meatballs: Frozen beef meatballs and Barilla marinara sauce with a little added water. Cook on low all day. Serve on toasted bollilo rolls. I like to put garlic powder on rolls and toast for a few minutes and then add meatballs and marinara and shredded mozzarella cheese and toast until cheese is melted.

yummy! thank you so much for sharing these with me. I am going to have to try all of these soon.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I do split pea soup. A 1 pound bag of split peas, water and/or chicken stock, carrots, onion, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and if I have it a ham bone. Really easy, delicious, and filling.

I also do a popular Pinterest recipe for chicken - it's not low calorie, but you could probably sub ingredients for low cal/fat version. It's a pound of boneless chicken breast, 1 can cream of chicken soup, 8 ounces cream cheese, 1 envelope Good Seasons salad dressing mix, 1/2 cup water. I add a chopped onion and a can of mushrooms. (You could halve the amount of cream cheese and it's just as good.) It's really delicious served over rice with a side of steamed green peas. Though the key is not over cooking the chicken. It really only needs 3-4 hours in the crockpot max.

Then there's taco soup. Brown 1lb lean ground beef with a chopped onion. Add to the crockpot with 1 can each: kidney beans, pinto beans, black beans, corn, and 2 cans Rotel tomatoes. Add 1 envelope taco seasoning and 1 envelope Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    I love venison stew - I am not even a huge fan of venison but if I make double my normal amount I still eat it in one night :( thankfully venison is very lean and it usually doesn't put me over!

For 4 servings:

1lb venison, cubed
    1lb chopped potatoes
    As much chopped onion, carrots, celery, parsnips, and other slow-cooker appropriate veggies as you like.
    Low sodium beef stock
    Pinch rosemary, sage, thyme and parsley.

Brown venison, then throw all other ingredients in - cook on high for 6-8 hours, depending on how big your venison chunks are. My secret ingredient is thickening it towards the end with a packet of brown gravy - shh don't tell hubby.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Our hands down go-to is a spicy chicken in the crock pot. You need a big pot for this one!
    [http]http://www.food.com/recipe/crock-pot-whole-chicken-33671[/http]

It is FABULOUS in a chicken noodle soup and it's the first thing I make when anybody's getting sick. Let the chicken cook all day, then do this when it's done and cooled a little (and it will just fall apart on you):

In a stock pot, sautee some garlic and mushroom with grapeseed oil. Add all the broth from the chicken. You need about 6 cups total so be sure to have some storebought on hand just in case. Some chickens make more than others.

Now toss in diced carrots, celery, green beans, peas, corn, spinach... Whatever veggies you like. Simmer for about 15 min or until the veg is tender.

Cut up the chicken and add it. Make sure you get all the spices in!

Last step, add some whole wheat egg noodles.

If you are really fancy, have some crusty french bread with a dab of real butter to dunk in there.
  • WithWhatsLeft
    WithWhatsLeft Posts: 196 Member
    Oh yeah - another good one is pork chops or a roast, with a few packets of low-sodium brown gravy and 2 cups water thrown in. Let cook on low for 6 hours.

I don't want to know what chemicals are in the gravy mix. I'm not even going to read the ingredients until I think I have a decent substitute.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    Woman who cooks beans and peas in the same crockpot, is unsanitary.

- Confucius.
  • EvelynR1967
    EvelynR1967 Posts: 78 Member
    Once every couple of months I but a turkey breast, turkey breast with rib bones, no legs, no wings, all white meat. It's the size of a football. I put it in the crock pot with a can of chicken broth and season it. Cook it for 10-12 hours. It is REMARKABLE! All white meat and you need tongs to get it out as it is the most moist turkey you will ever eat!!!
  • stephylynn190
    stephylynn190 Posts: 33 Member
    I make this beef stew that is to die for. It is especially good with Sam Adams Octoberfest which is out right now. I serve this over mashed red potatoes. It's like Fall in a bowl! haha

1 lb stew beef cubed
    1 med yellow onion, roughly chopped
    2 cups of baby carrots
    1-2 cups chopped celery
    1-2 cups mushrooms
    2-3 teaspoons of thyme
    2-3 teaspoons of tarragon
    3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary leaves
    1 tablespoon sugar
    salt and pepper to taste
    2 Tbsp of crushed garlic
    1 beer, ale or dark beers are best

Cook on low for 6-7 hours
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    bump for later...I'll share a recipe when I have time.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    One of my favorites is chicken fajitas, someone above posted it too, but basically chicken breasts (either slice up right away, or keep whole then shred after cooking), sliced up peppers and onions, taco seasoning and either a jar of salsa or can of rotel. Either eat up in tortillas or make a rice bowl with it.

We just made pork carnitas tonight, we made tacos with the meat, and we will eat it for lunch most of the week. The meat can easily be used for a lot of different Mexican foods, rice bowls, quesadillas, etc. http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/05/01/slow-cooker-carnitas-tacos-mexican-pulled-pork/

Another favorite is jambalaya, well, apparently according to people in the South it isn't authentic, but I like it! http://catsandcasseroles.blogspot.com/2011/10/slow-cooker-jambalaya.html?m=1

A lot of soups are easy to make in it too, especially things similar to vegetable minestrone.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Family member browns a roast before she puts in into a crockpot with some water and veggies (carrots, potatoes, and onions). Cook on low power all day, come home to dinner in the late afternoon/early evening.

Also (so cleanup won't be a problem) there are liners specifically made for crockpots. Done with the meal? Simply take the food out, then take out the liner and toss it.
  • sbrookes9
    sbrookes9 Posts: 445 Member
    Bump
  • Bean, Rice, and Spinach Soup:
    42 oz. water
    1 Tbsp. chicken or vegetable base or bullion
    1 can great northern beans
    2 (8 oz.) cans tomato sauce
    2 Tbsp. dried, minced onion
    1/2 cup dry brown rice
    1/2 tsp. dried, minced garlic or garlic powder
    1 tsp. dried basil
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional for low-salt diet)
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    Put all these ingredients in crock pot and cook on low 4-6 hours, or high 2-3 hours. Then, add 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh spinach. Stir in until wilted. Garnish each bowl with grated parmesan cheese before serving.

Tacos:
    Cut up a thin-sliced, top sirloin steak into bite-sized pieces. Put into crock pot. Add a large can of enchilada sauce, some dried, minced onions, and stir. Cook on low 4-6 hours, or high 2-3 hours. Serve with regular taco fixin's!