What to do with Greek Yogurt?

Options
HeatherShrinking
HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
I've only tried the Chobani fruit flavored Greek yogurts. But I've heard you can do all types of stuff with unflavored Greek yogurt, like substitute it for mayo or sour cream in recipes. Has anyone tried this? Is it good? What do you use Greek yogurt for? Any recipes?

Replies

• AmberMagdalena
    AmberMagdalena Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt for anything that calls for sour cream (which I love!) and you get twice the protein. Like morningstar spicy black bean burger, shredded lettuce, diced onion, and 2 tsps of salsa, wham! Southwest salad, top with a Tsp of greek yogurt mixed with a little chili powder or taco seasoning.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    Interested to find out myself!
  • jennyfair24
    jennyfair24 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I've completely replaced sour cream with greek yogurt. I use it on baked potatoes, in fajitas, etc. I even used it in a rice pudding recipe yesterday. I love it!
  • bikerbiz
    bikerbiz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki! It's to die, for...not just for gyros and souvlaki, but you can put it on salads, use it for veggie dip, or put it on some lightly grilled pita with some Greek spices. Good for you--yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and olive oil. Now, I have to get some tonight...after I shovel outta this snow. ;-)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4547029_tzatziki-greek-yoghurt-dip.html
    http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/07/worlds-best-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-greek.html
  • grace914
    grace914 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just started using unflavored Greek yogurt a few weeks ago and I LOVE it! I've only used it to make tuna fish. I'm curious to see what others use it for too. Good post!
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    check out chobani.com or even their facebook page, they have tons of recipes
  • chrysnel
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but if you put a handful of pomegranate seeds in with some greek yogurt, it is to die for! So good - and the natural sweetness of the seeds eliminates the need for any kind of sweetener! I also often mix in chia seeds and frozen berries in the morning, and by afternoon coffee, the berries are melted and the chia seeds have absorbed the extra liquid - it's pretty yummy too! :)
  • neebelung
    neebelung Posts: 115
    Options
    Hah, I JUST posted in the "instead" thread about this - I make a great sauce/dip with the Oikos fat free Greek yogurt. Add a dollop of dijon mustard and just a drizzle of honey - taste great with turkey "fingers" (baked turkey breast tenders, rolled in panko breadcrumbs). It's sweet, tangy and full of protein!!
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It is what I use instead of Sour Cream always now.....I love it! But to be fair I would eat the sour cream by the spoonful too if it wasn't so unhealthy for you.
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I made a dip, shredded a cucumber on a cheese grater and added a little garlic salt, was yummy! I also threw it put it on a whole wheat pita with some chicken and tomatos.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    What they said, plus it's my morning favorite. Love it with a ton of blackberries, blueberries and fresh pineapple. Makes a HUGE portion, it's nutritious and delicious! Yummo!
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just EAT it! :smile:

I love it with fruit, granola, and a little honey! Great breakfast or snack!
  • theatr3geek
    Options
    put a tsp of honey and a tbsp of grapenuts. omg. so. delicious.
  • 1ofthegang
    1ofthegang Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Tzatziki! It's to die, for...not just for gyros and souvlaki, but you can put it on salads, use it for veggie dip, or put it on some lightly grilled pita with some Greek spices. Good for you--yogurt, cucumber, garlic, and olive oil. Now, I have to get some tonight...after I shovel outta this snow. ;-)

http://www.ehow.com/how_4547029_tzatziki-greek-yoghurt-dip.html
    http://kalynskitchen.blogspot.com/2007/07/worlds-best-tzatziki-sauce-recipe-greek.html

I second this! SkinnyTaste.com has a great recipe for Greek Turkey Meatballs with Tzatziki sauce. Yummmm!
  • Mobstang
    Mobstang Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    1/2c Greek Yogurt + 1/2c Frozen Fruit + 1/2c Fiber One = perfect cereal/parfait (need some fat? add a handful of nuts)
    Couple of spoonfuls of GY + a can o' chicken = chicken salad replacement (I eat this on a sandwich)
    Couple of spoonfuls of GY + chili or stew = AWESOME thickening agent
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Didn’t read all the responses, so hope I’m not doubling up here. Try this, it’s GREAT as a dip or spread. And I don’t even like cucumbers.

Ingredients
    • 1 cup grated seeded peeled cucumber
    • 1/8 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
    • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
    • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
    • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 2 garlic cloves, minced
    Preparation
    Place cucumber on several layers of paper towels; sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Let stand 30 minutes.
    Combine cucumber, yogurt, and remaining ingredients, stirring until well blended. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.
    Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    9 (0.0% from fat)
    Fat:
    0.0g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g)
    Protein:
    0.8g
    Carbohydrate:
    1.8g
    Fiber:
    0.1g
    Cholesterol:
    0.0mg
    Iron:
    0.0mg
    Sodium:
    72mg
    Calcium:
    24mg
  • bikinikillaer
    Options
    theatr3geek
    put a tsp of honey and a tbsp of grapenuts. omg. so. delicious.

That sounds really good. I've been wondering how I can get my granola fix w/o eating it with regular yogurt. Thx for the tip!
  • seniorfaye
    seniorfaye Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad this subject was brought up. I have been wondering about using the greek yogurt. I have never eat it and wondered how to use it. My doctor said not to use sour cream -reg. or lowfat. He said it has no nutrional value to it. So this would be good to use in the place. thanks so much for the info....
  • TrudyLea
    Options
    Just "discovered" greek yogurt! I'm totally in love!