How to measure ice cream accurately?

Options

Replies

• Reneesjourney2bfit
    Options
    I make it easy and don't buy it by the pint or gallon..I just get the bars...1 per serving and your done.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I forgot about the ml part. I would weigh it in grams, and then convert it. http://www.convertunits.com/from/grams/to/milliliters

Edited because spelling is hard.
  • DogzandCatz
    Options
    Ice-cream is a 'semi-soft' food and needs to be measured by volume, not weight. Most brands of icecream list a serving size of 1/2 cup and that's how you would measure it - by using a 1/2 cup measuring cup and filling it up. Don't go by weight because different ice creams have different densities and the same amount (1/2 cup) can have a wide range of weights - always go by the measuring cup.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I just eat the entire pint and then I know how many calories it was. :indifferent:

As someone who lives on his own and, therefore, usually is the only person to eat the ice cream (unless my dog's learned a trick I haven't taught here), I'll actually do something similar to this.

I don't usually eat the whole thing in one sitting, but I just account for all the calories across the week. For example, if there are 4 servings, I'll log a serving on 4 days, even if the actual amount I ate on day #1 is different from what I ate the other three, because I know all 4 wound up in my belly.

If I want to be exact, however, I use a scale. Not only does it offer more accurate measurements than volumetric methods, but, except for eating it right out of the carton, it involves the least amount of handling, which means less melting.

ETA: Besides, if you use a volume-based method, what if you have an air bubble hidden in the middle? You'd be logging calories for a volume of food that wasn't there and end up depriving yourself of the deliciousness you budgeted for!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Ice-cream is a 'semi-soft' food and needs to be measured by volume, not weight. Most brands of icecream list a serving size of 1/2 cup and that's how you would measure it - by using a 1/2 cup measuring cup and filling it up. Don't go by weight because different ice creams have different densities and the same amount (1/2 cup) can have a wide range of weights - always go by the measuring cup.

that's why you measure it- because it's going to have a different weight- and almost all ice creams will have their serving side listed as a volume AND a weight.

Weight is always the safer choice due to density issues.

Before I got my food scale I was packing it into a 1/2 Cup measuring cup and then transfering it to an ice cream cone (my preferred way of enjoying this small of an amount of ice cream. It looks so pathetic in a bowl, haha). Anyhow, now that I have a scale with a grams setting, I use that instead. Guess what? I think in comparing the two methods- I actually get MORE now that I use the scale.

(P.S. Edy's churned Double Fudge Brownie ice cream is really, really good for a lower fat/calorie option. Just a tip!) :happy:

That's exactly why I put my ice cream in a mug- it doesn't look so sad and pathetic in there that way. Because 68 grams of ice cream is a pathetic amount- usually I have 2 servings- which is significantly more- but I can't afford 300 calories all the time- so- sometimes i'ts just one serving- and yeah- 68 grams looks REALLY sad in a standard bowl.

Mug for me thanks.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    Before I got my food scale I was packing it into a 1/2 Cup measuring cup and then transfering it to an ice cream cone (my preferred way of enjoying this small of an amount of ice cream. It looks so pathetic in a bowl, haha). Anyhow, now that I have a scale with a grams setting, I use that instead. Guess what? I think in comparing the two methods- I actually get MORE now that I use the scale.

(P.S. Edy's churned Double Fudge Brownie ice cream is really, really good for a lower fat/calorie option. Just a tip!) :happy:
    [/quote]
    That's exactly why I put my ice cream in a mug- it doesn't look so sad and pathetic in there that way. Because 68 grams of ice cream is a pathetic amount- usually I have 2 servings- which is significantly more- but I can't afford 300 calories all the time- so- sometimes i'ts just one serving- and yeah- 68 grams looks REALLY sad in a standard bowl.

Mug for me thanks.
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    This is why I use a little plastic snack bowl. It tricks the mind into thinking one portion of ice cream isn't sad, lol
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Mug for me thanks.
    I have a tiny bowl I use for ice cream for just this reason.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    *deleted double post*
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I weigh it.

The bottom of the pint shoud have the total number of oz and g in the container. Lets say the container is 32 oz (907 g). The nutrition facts will say how many servings the container has. Let's say there are 8 servings. All you do is 32/8 = 4 oz per serving. Then you can use your food scale.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I measure it on a scale. IMO, it's much easier as well as more accurate to use a scale (doubt I was too accurate before, as I'd literally stuff as much into a 1/2 cup as humanly possible). It takes me so much less time this way. Edy's Slow Churned is my ice cream of choice... I find it generally quite doable to fit 1.5 servings into my daily calories. 1 serving seems a little skimpy, so 1.5 servings is perfect for me.

ETA: Sorry I didn't read your post well enough before. I measure mine in grams... I'm confused how yours is in terms of a liquid form of measurement? In any case hope this helps...
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Most serving sizes have the serving listed as grams if you look on the container (sometimes it's off to the side; ie: 1 cup (xx grams).

Otherwise, I Google the conversion and weigh it that way.

I am NOT one of those people that can "eyeball" an accurate serving size :ohwell:

No one is one of those people.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I weigh mine in grams
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Most serving sizes have the serving listed as grams if you look on the container (sometimes it's off to the side; ie: 1 cup (xx grams).

Otherwise, I Google the conversion and weigh it that way.

I am NOT one of those people that can "eyeball" an accurate serving size :ohwell:

No one is one of those people.
    Lol true true.
    1 oz of cheese is the only thing I can be trusted to actually eye ball and do it extremely well.
  • icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Not sure if somebody already said this, but what I do with many things, is I get the spoon/ cup I will use most commonly with something, and weigh what such a spoon comprises. After that, I have my reference, and don't bother weighing after that, just use the spoon/ cup, knowing what's in that spoon/ cup without having to weigh.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Seems everyone here missed the part where the OP said the serving size is in ML...

I'd google the ice cream type and see if you can find how many grams is a serving size for it. It can be anywhere from 61g to 100g a serving or something. Personally... I just wouldn't buy ice cream with a ML serving size because it's a PITA.
    You wouldn't have a choice if you were in Canada.
    I buy 2 litre tubs where a serving is 125 ml. (1/2 metric cup)
    I wish it were in grams but I'm not going to sweat it.
    Next time I'll weigh one full, subtract an empty tub (I have a few around) and divide by 16 to see...

Yeah that would work... sounds like a pain though!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat it all, then cry that it's gone.

No, I weigh it. The only one I've seen a mL on is a Magnum Mini bar.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    None of the icecreams I've bought have given a weight in grams, only mL. It's really really annoying because each type of icecream will have a different weight when you convert it from mL to grams, so I basically gave up and scoop one scoop into a small bowl and just eat that. :\
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    None of the icecreams I've bought have given a weight in grams, only mL. It's really really annoying because each type of icecream will have a different weight when you convert it from mL to grams, so I basically gave up and scoop one scoop into a small bowl and just eat that. :\

Yeah I heard that before. You could check their website and look for the US version maybe to get the serving size in grams?
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I eat Talenti, I eyeball it. There're 4 servings in a little tub, so I just kinda eyeball out four servings, lol. Obviously not very accurate, but it never gave me issues before.

I like some of the tips you guys mentioned, especially just weighing it in a bowl.
  • MaddyT122
    MaddyT122 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I use a 6 oz cup and stuff as much as I can into it, even if it hangs over a bit and call it 6 oz . :)