Evening/Night time snack

Options

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I always have what I've considered "dessert" food for nighttime snacks: generally a serving of Breyer's ice cream or an ice cream sandwich. Sometimes cake or pie if I made some for an occasion and have leftover. Very occasionally I go for a banana split with the Breyer's, homemade whipped cream, chocolate sauce, and a large banana, but that is on high energy days where I have the room in my calories and macros.
  • conoramck
    conoramck Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    is eating popcorn, cookies, chips, cake etc not bad for you, even if you are within you calorie goal because it contains lots of sugar and sat fats i.e. the bad macros??
  • conoramck
    Options
    Thanks for all the insight folks its giving me plenty of ideas, keep em comin
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    You can get plain popcorn, the sort you pop in the microwave or in a pan, that doesn't have sugar added. You can also get low-calorie ready-made bags of popcorn that are under 100 calories, so not bad as a treat. I wouldn't have it everyday, I tend to swap and change.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    is eating popcorn, cookies, chips, cake etc not bad for you, even if you are within you calorie goal because it contains lots of sugar and sat fats i.e. the bad macros??

As long as what you eat fits into your goals (and limitations) based on your overall fitness plan and any medical conditions you may have, then there is no problem with sugar or saturated fats.

Also, Strictly speaking, sugar itself isn't a macro, it is a carb. Same with saturated fats - it is a type of fat, but not a macro in itself.
  • conoramck
    Options
    You can get plain popcorn, the sort you pop in the microwave or in a pan, that doesn't have sugar added. You can also get low-calorie ready-made bags of popcorn that are under 100 calories, so not bad as a treat. I wouldn't have it everyday, I tend to swap and change.

Cheers ill check that out, been looking to find a decent yogurt with good protein content but the majority of them in the supermarkets (in the UK) seem have loads of sugar in them
  • conoramck
    Options

As long as what you eat fits into your goals (and limitations) based on your overall fitness plan and any medical conditions you may have, then there is no problem with sugar or saturated fats.

Also, Strictly speaking, sugar itself isn't a macro, it is a carb. Same with saturated fats - it is a type of fat, but not a macro in itself.

Thanks for this, I was assuming that you should avoid sugar and sat fats as much as possible. That should help :smile:
  • shellident
    Options
    I love cereal at night, organic with skim milk... :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have a hot chocolate, yoghurt, lolly pop, piece of chocolate (not all though lol)
  • ForeverCharlie
    ForeverCharlie Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I can't snack at night. Once I do, I always end up binging :(
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    fat bombs, or Buddha Bowl popcorn
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I usually have a whey protein shake with strawberries. But, last night I had oats with apples, raisins, coconut milk and whey protein.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I always have a couple of spoons of peanut butter
  • jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Chapman's frozen yogurt, 90cals for 1/4 cup....it is very creamy and I like it better than ice cream.:smile:
  • Runcakes
    Runcakes Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Apple and either almond or peanut butter. I like to think of it as my dessert!
  • noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have a small bar of dark chocolate every night (140cals) and just fit it into my daily calories
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Here lately it's been Trader Joe's "Triple Ginger" cookies.

Three cookies are 65 calories and they taste amazing.
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Lately I've just been having my evening snack as my dessert. That way, I'm not even hungry by bedtime. I usually have an Atkins or Quest bar, especially since I eat supper right after my workout. Very filling and hits that sweet spot!
  • bigsistruck
    bigsistruck Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Here lately it's been Trader Joe's "Triple Ginger" cookies.

Three cookies are 65 calories and they taste amazing.

Oh man, I'll have to try those out! I LOVE ginger!
  • charcharrenee
    Options
    Yogurt! I make "proyo," yogurt cups using Greek yogurt and sugar free jello pudding mix. Most of the time I just use vanilla flavored. I mix a serving on it in a cup of plain and fat free Greek yogurt.