who is doing low carb

Options
I just joined and I am doing a low carb diet because carbs are my weakness. I would love to have some friends who are doing low carb also. anybody want to post some before and after/during pics from doing low carb. also if anybody has any tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me, as I keep carbs low most days - at least for right now.

That said, I'll just throw out there that you should really assess why carbs are your weakness and how eliminating/greatly reducing those foods is going to affect you. If they're your weakness because you really enjoy them, you may want to consider finding a way to incorporate at least some of those foods into your diet, as completely depriving yourself of foods you really enjoy makes many people miserable and eventually they give in to temptation (and usually in an unplanned and unreasonable fashion). On the other hand, some people can reduce their carb intake and do just fine, so it comes down to personal preference.

Just keep in mind you don't have to do low carb to lose weight and that it's simply one tool you can use. If it's helpful, use it, and if it's not helpful or even harmful, don't use it.
  • bayoubeauty2be
    Options
    thanks for replying. I do love my carbs because they taste good but I do have to limit them because I tend to go overboard. I plan to enjoy them 1 day a week though. you do have a good point though. I will see how it goes.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Low carb here (90/10 Rule)

I don't think Carbs are bad...or Sugar is evil. But if carbs make you binge, then you're right to avoid them. There are some medical reasons why some people must stay low carb, I'm in that group.

Friend me if you would like, I've been doing low carb for years, have lots of tips and advice :)
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I started low carb 8 months ago and down 76 pounds. At first I did 20g carbs daily. Now I keep it around 100g.
  • mistyb1972
    Options
    I do low carb most of the time because of being diabetic and to help with bloating and weight. I have been trying a lot of new things like cauliflower mash, roasted cauliflower, cauliflower rice, roasted Brussels sprouts, kale chips, pineapple chicken, broccoli beef, curry chicken/beef, jambalaya, zucchini lasagna, zucchini spaghetti. sub in soy or spelt flower for breading for pork chops, binders for salmon and crab patties and gravies. The hardest thing is eating out! We rarely eat out but if I eat something I shouldn't I feel horrible. Last night case in point we had Japanese. I really wanted sushi but I passed and had salad , soup, hibachi chicken zucchini and onions and then I ate 5 bites of rice and immediately felt sick! I love to cook and try new recipes and this time my family has been so much more supportive this go round which has made it much easier!
  • girlyfootballfan
    Options
    Doing low carb because mom is diabetic and I'm not far away. I don't believe you should get rid of them all together so I'm limiting them. Doing very little after lunch.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I do low carb most of the time because of being diabetic and to help with bloating and weight. I have been trying a lot of new things like cauliflower mash, roasted cauliflower, cauliflower rice, roasted Brussels sprouts, kale chips, pineapple chicken, broccoli beef, curry chicken/beef, jambalaya, zucchini lasagna, zucchini spaghetti. sub in soy or spelt flower for breading for pork chops, binders for salmon and crab patties and gravies. The hardest thing is eating out! We rarely eat out but if I eat something I shouldn't I feel horrible. Last night case in point we had Japanese. I really wanted sushi but I passed and had salad , soup, hibachi chicken zucchini and onions and then I ate 5 bites of rice and immediately felt sick! I love to cook and try new recipes and this time my family has been so much more supportive this go round which has made it much easier!

Wanna come cook at my place? :flowerforyou:
  • bradsbaby1996
    bradsbaby1996 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    <
    Me! For a year.. I posted a topic in success stories on the 29th, my one year anniversary. . Feel free to look at my pics.. you can add me!!
  • BettJo64
    BettJo64 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I am on a doctor ordered and supervised 20carbs a day lifestyle since mid July. So far, I'm having great results and I've had very little problems adjusting to a life of very little carbs. Mine is of necessity for a possible gastric surgery coming up by the end of the year. This is to keep me in ketosis for the actual surgery date. While that is how this all started for me, I'm very much involved and enjoying the clean eating now. I will definitely choose to keep living a low carb lifestyle...although probably raising it a little after surgery or if in the end I elect not to have the surgery at all!!! I gather recipes and experiment daily with low carb foods. There are so many websites available and facebook pages to join that keep you very educated and updated on this lifestyle. Many new ideas and kitchen gadgets to help, too. It's very interesting and exciting and I wish you much happiness and success as you start this lifestyle :flowerforyou:
  • lmkelly679
    lmkelly679 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I did 20g of carbs a day after having my daughter and dropped a ton of weight. I took a break from it and since then everytime I try to start up again to lose the last 20lbs I start getting the worst leg cramps. I want to do low carb again so if anyone has tips on how to stop the cramps let me know.
  • denisegresham1
    denisegresham1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    You need to take a potassium supplement before bed.
  • RoninsMom5
    Options
    Ive cut startches completely and lost 5 pounds already in 2 weeks
  • myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    You need to take a potassium supplement before bed.

Proof ?
  • maggiegbrown
    maggiegbrown Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I would love to know all your tips and advice! please share!
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me, as I keep carbs low most days - at least for right now.

That said, I'll just throw out there that you should really assess why carbs are your weakness and how eliminating/greatly reducing those foods is going to affect you. If they're your weakness because you really enjoy them, you may want to consider finding a way to incorporate at least some of those foods into your diet, as completely depriving yourself of foods you really enjoy makes many people miserable and eventually they give in to temptation (and usually in an unplanned and unreasonable fashion). On the other hand, some people can reduce their carb intake and do just fine, so it comes down to personal preference.

Just keep in mind you don't have to do low carb to lose weight and that it's simply one tool you can use. If it's helpful, use it, and if it's not helpful or even harmful, don't use it.

Beautifully stated. As above mentioned its good that you realize what your weaknesses are but make sure your happy being miserable on a diet usually doesn't stick too well that being said I lost my first 50 on a pretty low carb diet its an easy way to cut out a lot of excess calories
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I did 20g of carbs a day after having my daughter and dropped a ton of weight. I took a break from it and since then everytime I try to start up again to lose the last 20lbs I start getting the worst leg cramps. I want to do low carb again so if anyone has tips on how to stop the cramps let me know.

You can try magnesium malate supplements & getting more salt in your diet as well. That's why bone broth is often recommended. I've read electrolyte imbalances can happen due to your kidneys dumping a ton of water as you become keto-adapted.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Other than for medical reasons I really don't advocate low carb diets at all. Carbs help the brain function more efficiently and are the bodies main source of energy. Not saying you shouldn't just think there are better alternatives.

In case you or anyone else isn't aware there are
    ~4 calories in each gram of carbohydrate and protein
    and
    ~9 calories in each gram of dietary fat

Just something to keep in mind when considering what to restrict, speaking solely in terms of weight loss / calorie consumption

Just my two cents though

Welcome to myfitnesspal, you've come to the right place (:
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options

had severe lower leg cramps 2 months into my WOE (DANDR 2002). My wife recommended a glass of Ecodrink and i know she was having success with it for a few years. I started taking a glass every day and have been cramp free since (11 months)
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Other than for medical reasons I really don't advocate low carb diets at all. Carbs help the brain function more efficiently and are the bodies main source of energy. Not saying you shouldn't just think there are better alternatives.

In case you or anyone else isn't aware there are
    ~4 calories in each gram of carbohydrate and protein
    and
    ~9 calories in each gram of dietary fat

Just something to keep in mind when considering what to restrict, speaking solely in terms of weight loss / calorie consumption

Just my two cents though

Welcome to myfitnesspal, you've come to the right place (:

Unless you are a scientist/doctor expert in this field, you shouldn't write things like "Other than for medical reasons I really don't advocate low carb diets at all. Carbs help the brain function more efficiently and are the bodies main source of energy." You want to eat carbs, go for it, but don't post opinion and pretend it's fact.

We actually don't need carbs. I have eaten under 20g of carbs a day for months at a time and I have a fairly intellectually demanding job. I am never more alert than when I'm NOT eating carbs. My body's main source of energy is fat/protein.

Anyway ... to the OP. I'm pretty strict low carb for several reasons. I am a food addict. Carbs for me is like "just one beer" for an alcoholic. I can not eat bread/potatos/pasta/sugar in any form and keep my eating under control. Diabetes runs in my family. I've "been on a diet" for 20 years, but only by cutting my carbs have I managed to lose 46lbs and stick to it day in and day out without falling off the wagon. Gone are the days where I would lose 5kg and gain 10kg back. Now I control food, it doesn't control me. I don't find it restrictive at all, and in fact can and do go out often to eat. Not hard to order a steak with a salad and a glass of red wine. Or a grilled chicken salad. I even often have a caesar salad minus the croutons. Missing out? I don't think so.

If you want to add me, go for it, I can always use new friends/ideas. And I might be able to offer you some guidance in return.
  • RoninsMom5
    Options
    Its helped me to eat a lot of fruit, I don't count calories. I only make healthy choices as much as possible. The fruit will keep your body from craving the sugar.