Runners!

Options
I am trying to get into running. I am starting slow as i do have some weight to lose not much but about 15lbs in order to be at my optimal weight. I have been getting into running lately and looking for people who are doing the same for support, advice and inspiration! :-)

I am actually starting to enjoy running, which is a weird thing for me to say... but it is true!

Replies

• newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use the Couch 2 5K app. I have become a running enthusiast. I now do monthly 5Ks even though I haven't finished the training program. I just subscribed to Runner's World magazine after reading the last two magazines back to back.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'll be your friend if you want to add me! I'm a runner - just finished my 7th half marathon - and a few years I was definitely one of those people who hated to run. You should sign up for a 5k, it can be a great way to have a goal to train for and they're super fun : )
  • AdamStelmack
    Options
    I've been running for around 8 years. Longest distance was 9.5 miles...never really saw any reason to run much farther than that. usually I run a 7:30/mile pace for 4 to 5 miles. 5Ks are a great idea, especially the ones that have a theme, like Halloween for Breast Cancer Awareness (my duty station has all kinds like that) to help you get into the spirit. If you can, find a partner to run with. Stay away from those chalk runs. They're super gay.
  • DuckiesorDie
    DuckiesorDie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Just started about 6 months ago for the first time ever and am completely hooked. Have done 2 half-marathon's and want to do more! Just feels good to set goals and then meet them which is what keeps me coming back! Fellow runners feel free to add me!
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have been getting into running lately and looking for people who are doing the same for support, advice and inspiration! :-)

Not sure how far along you are in the process of "getting into" running.

My advice for beginners:

1) Shoes are super important. It is worth going to a specialty running store and having them fit you into shoes that are right for you. They will analyze how your feet strike the ground and recommend the right category of shoe (neutral, padded, support, motion control, etc). They It will cost a little more than a big box store, but it will help you reduce the chance of injury.

2) Couch to 5k is a very good starting program. It does a great job of helping you through the run/walk intervals that you need until you work up to a full 30 minutes of running. Resist jumping ahead.

3) Picking a 5k race is a great motivator. Look for one about 10-12 weeks in the future. There are all kinds of great causes to support and it gives you a goal to work towards.

Good luck!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I started running a few years ago when I first joined MFP. I'd walk then that changed to walk/run until the day came I finally started running 3+ miles a few times a week. Slight injury last year and I stopped so I've been trying to build my endurance back up. Love the C25K app. My last few times I've ran through the coaching after the warm up and I'm back up to running 30 mins at a time. Feel free to add me! :smile:
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    I love running its my main form of exercise and I swim on my off days when my legs need a break. You should add me :) I like to run intervals for an hour so ill walk at 3.5mph for a minute then run at 5.2mph for a minute and gradually increase the speed with each minute until I just cant run any faster. It has helped me break through the monotonous plateau's, increase my speed and endurance, keep myself from injury and loose about 50lbs :)
  • fuenyface
    fuenyface Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, but when I was just beginning, I found running outside and truly enjoying the scenery kept it fun, having a buddy to talk to and motivate me kept me going, and good shoes made everything easier.
  • una2282
    una2282 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use the Couch 2 5K app. I have become a running enthusiast. I now do monthly 5Ks even though I haven't finished the training program. I just subscribed to Runner's World magazine after reading the last two magazines back to back.

I have used the Personal Running Trainer app, I really liked the way it broke it all down. :)
  • una2282
    Options
    I'll be your friend if you want to add me! I'm a runner - just finished my 7th half marathon - and a few years I was definitely one of those people who hated to run. You should sign up for a 5k, it can be a great way to have a goal to train for and they're super fun : )

I really want to do a half Marathon! I have done a 5k and i signed up for one which ended up being moved to Spring. I need to find an other one to do. I should do a 10K, i bet that would be a good mid point, right?
  • una2282
    Options
    I've been running for around 8 years. Longest distance was 9.5 miles...never really saw any reason to run much farther than that. usually I run a 7:30/mile pace for 4 to 5 miles. 5Ks are a great idea, especially the ones that have a theme, like Halloween for Breast Cancer Awareness (my duty station has all kinds like that) to help you get into the spirit. If you can, find a partner to run with. Stay away from those chalk runs. They're super gay.

Sadly i can't find anyone to run with me, everyone is either way too advanced, kinda like you pushing 7mile pace, i am still trying to break down to 11 miles and the goal is to get under 10 at some point here. I am just trying to build endurance and expand my lungs. :-)
  • una2282
    Options
    Just started about 6 months ago for the first time ever and am completely hooked. Have done 2 half-marathon's and want to do more! Just feels good to set goals and then meet them which is what keeps me coming back! Fellow runners feel free to add me!

I am really starting to enjoy it as well! That's soo not me to say either, i have always liked swimming so much better. Running is such a wonderful way of getting away from everything and helps with stress big time!
  • una2282
    Options
    I have been getting into running lately and looking for people who are doing the same for support, advice and inspiration! :-)

Not sure how far along you are in the process of "getting into" running.

My advice for beginners:

1) Shoes are super important. It is worth going to a specialty running store and having them fit you into shoes that are right for you. They will analyze how your feet strike the ground and recommend the right category of shoe (neutral, padded, support, motion control, etc). They It will cost a little more than a big box store, but it will help you reduce the chance of injury.

2) Couch to 5k is a very good starting program. It does a great job of helping you through the run/walk intervals that you need until you work up to a full 30 minutes of running. Resist jumping ahead.

3) Picking a 5k race is a great motivator. Look for one about 10-12 weeks in the future. There are all kinds of great causes to support and it gives you a goal to work towards.

Good luck!

Which brand do you recommend? I need to find a really good pair!
  • una2282
    Options
    I'm a runner, but when I was just beginning, I found running outside and truly enjoying the scenery kept it fun, having a buddy to talk to and motivate me kept me going, and good shoes made everything easier.

I can't do the treadmill at all anymore. I try to run 4x a week right now just to take it easy on my knees. I am loving being outside! I am just not the fan of hills! heh
  • una2282
    Options
    I started running a few years ago when I first joined MFP. I'd walk then that changed to walk/run until the day came I finally started running 3+ miles a few times a week. Slight injury last year and I stopped so I've been trying to build my endurance back up. Love the C25K app. My last few times I've ran through the coaching after the warm up and I'm back up to running 30 mins at a time. Feel free to add me! :smile:

I will have to try that app! Everyone talks about it! :D
  • Joline1207
    Joline1207 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just started to "dabble". I bought a treadmill and have it in my living room. I purchased iFit and am currently enrolled in three programs that I love. I have made a slight improvement since my initial run and so I am happy with that! We have snow on the ground about 9 months of the year and usually average about 60 days of -10 degrees F or colder...that is without the windchill factor. I still have some beginning weight to lose as well - about 25 pounds for me. I am signed up for my first 5k early next year. Glad to know I am not the only newbie here!

Good luck to you on your journey!
  • una2282
    Options
    I love running its my main form of exercise and I swim on my off days when my legs need a break. You should add me :) I like to run intervals for an hour so ill walk at 3.5mph for a minute then run at 5.2mph for a minute and gradually increase the speed with each minute until I just cant run any faster. It has helped me break through the monotonous plateau's, increase my speed and endurance, keep myself from injury and loose about 50lbs :)

That is amazing!! Yeah i don't have MUCH to lose but i do have some extra that need to go which i know will help me later on :)
  • una2282
    Options
    I just started to "dabble". I bought a treadmill and have it in my living room. I purchased iFit and am currently enrolled in three programs that I love. I have made a slight improvement since my initial run and so I am happy with that! We have snow on the ground about 9 months of the year and usually average about 60 days of -10 degrees F or colder...that is without the windchill factor. I still have some beginning weight to lose as well - about 25 pounds for me. I am signed up for my first 5k early next year. Glad to know I am not the only newbie here!

Good luck to you on your journey!

That's awesome!! Good for you! I am looking right now to find an other 5K i can do sooner rather than later. I am signed up for one in december and one got pushed to next spring. I was sad when that happened!
  • mcarhodes
    mcarhodes Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I've been running almost three years. Always thought I hated it until I actually tried it and am now hooked. I try to do about 20-30 miles a week. Have two half marathons complete, one scheduled for this month, one for November and a 10K in November. Most important thing anyone ever told me - shoes, shoes, shoes! Make sure they are comfortable, get fitted by someone who knows what they're doing and break them in before any races.

Any fellow runners feel free to add me!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I started running 3.5 years ago. I didn't follow any program and I started with zero-drop minimalist shoes right out of the gate. I hate treadmill running so I run outside all year round both on roads and lots of trails. I love running... in April I ran my first ultra (50k) and on October 12 I am going to try my first 50 mile race...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1439225-why-i-love-to-run?hl=love+to+run&page=1

ETA a link to a post I put up a little while ago...