Have you seen FED UP - the documentary?

Options

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    And for those that are talking about "parental responsibility" and don't have kids, STFU. :)

At this point, when you're telling people what they can and can't comment on, its time to step away from the computer. You've crossed a line right here.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has a right to debate.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options
    And for those that are talking about "parental responsibility" and don't have kids, STFU. :)

At this point, when you're telling people what they can and can't comment on, its time to step away from the computer. You've crossed a line right here.

Sure, but don't debate on parental responsibility if you have none. It's insulting.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

Sure, but don't debate on parental responsibility if you have none. It's insulting.
    So should a pediatrician not treat children if they don't have any?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    How cute are you????
    Such a shining example to your little ones, I'm sure!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

No

Sorry but having kids doesn't make you a special snowflake and automatically immune to criticism

Honestly the fact that you would even pull that card is kinda pathetic.

It's pathetic when someone who has NO IDEA on the difficulties of raising a child in this world, blames everything on only one factor - parents and not the environmental impact of the world around. Kids spend 8 hours a day in a school with public education (provided by government), eat in school cafeterias, see billboard after billboard in transport or in stores... but of course, it's absolutely 100% parental responsibility for the impact and education that these children receive -- especially about food.

I have two children that I raise on my own. I was a horrible example the first few years of their lives. They understand now that when we have fast food it's a treat and having candy or sweets is a treat. They don't complain about fruits, vegetables or lean meats because they know that we eat them to keep our bodies healthy and strong. I don't have to hide the fact that Mountain Dew tastes good or that McDonalds exists (and has toys!). My kids know it's there and we will have them sometimes. Sometimes I pack my kids lunches, but at school they are some of the few to actually eat the fruits and vegetables. They know it's good for them and the choose to eat that all on their own. Education and parental responsibility.

When I was growing up my parents never let us have fast food and candy was rare. As soon as I could drive that's all my sisters and I ate. I don't blame my parents, but I do know that being deprived of things growing up just made us crave them more.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options

No

Sorry but having kids doesn't make you a special snowflake and automatically immune to criticism

It's pathetic when someone who has NO IDEA on the difficulties of raising a child in this world, blames everything on only one factor - parents and not the environmental impact of the world around. Kids spend 8 hours a day in a school with public education (provided by government), eat in school cafeterias, see billboard after billboard in transport or in stores... but of course, it's absolutely 100% parental responsibility for the impact and education that these children receive -- especially about food.

And that's the cop out parents have used to get out of everything.

Sorry don't care about your sob story. Oh and If you read up I said PERSONAL AND PARENTAL responsibility.

Also I even said that it's not really the parents fault a lot of the time. Sometimes it is though.

And no you can't monitor everything. But you can't expect to control everything. I never made any assumptions like that. You have just decided to attack me because I mentioned that parental responsibility is a problem in many cases .. and it is.

You are just appealing to parenthood to get out of the fact that your argument on sugar stinks and it's not worth wasting any more time on you.

I didn't give you a sob story and you went from saying "The obvious culprit. And the one we want to ignore because we know it is the source.

Personal and Parental responsibility. " to "sometimes" and "You can't monitor....control everything". I see my point sank in.

When you are trying to shuffle your 4 year old through the grocery store and they are wailing for some junk they see at the counter that you have no intention of feeding them but it's there, it will even more.
  • kevinsmithrn
    kevinsmithrn Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Lots of shills for the food industry in this thread.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options

Sorry, not going down the this illogical pathway. How about this... would you hire a dog trainer that has never trained an actual dog?
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

No

Sorry don't care about your sob story. Oh and If you read up I said PERSONAL AND PARENTAL responsibility.

Also I even said that it's not really the parents fault a lot of the time. Sometimes it is though.

And no you can't monitor everything. But you can't expect to control everything. I never made any assumptions like that. You have just decided to attack me because I mentioned that parental responsibility is a problem in many cases .. and it is.

You are just appealing to parenthood to get out of the fact that your argument on sugar stinks and it's not worth wasting any more time on you.

I didn't give you a sob story and you went from saying "The obvious culprit. And the one we want to ignore because we know it is the source.

Personal and Parental responsibility. " to "sometimes" and "You can't monitor....control everything". I see my point sank in.

When you are trying to shuffle your 4 year old through the grocery store and they are wailing for some junk they see at the counter that you have no intention of feeding them but it's there, it will even more.

No it really didn't

Appealing to parenthood IS your sob story.

Waah im a parent and it's hard! You don't have the right to tell me im doing it wrong because your not a parent!

now let's try a substitution.

Waah im a teenager and it's hard! You don't have the right to tell me im doing it wrong because your not a teenager!

It's the same sad hollow excuse of an argument and I have no time for it. The fact that parents can't always help things a lot of the time was covered in one of my earlier posts. You where just too busy spitting the dummy to notice it. It's still no excuse for them not to try.

I don't have to be a gymnast to tell someone that falls on their bum all the time that they aren't a very good gymnast.
  • wonderfullymadebyhim
    Options

Sorry, not going down the this illogical pathway. How about this... would you hire a dog trainer that has never trained an actual dog?

Did you just compare parenting to dog ownership?
    The parallels between small children and dogs are quite similar so I could see the connection...

Well, would you? for some people, their dogs are part of their family. What if that dog trainer promised you that they had a fantastic education? Or they had seen a video on do training once and seen a few people walking their dogs. Yeah, you'd tell them to give you lots of advice right?

Or that surgeon promised he had seen a surgery before from a distance, but never actually did one? Yeah, would you let that guy cut open your kid?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

No

I take responsibility for my kids. If you don't then you are the problem. My 4 year old does pretty well in grocery stores. She knows what she's allowed, which does include sweets, and funny enough her pediatrician is absolutely amazed at how fit (strong) both our daughters are. It's you, not the industry and sugar. Take responsibility.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options

I have learned a lot on MFP and today I learned what STFU means. Now if someone would please tell me what GIF stands for I would really appreciate that. Thanks and by the way I haven't seen the documentary.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

Did you just compare parenting to dog ownership?
    The parallels between small children and dogs are quite similar so I could see the connection...

Well, would you? for some people, their dogs are part of their family. What if that dog trainer promised you that they had a fantastic education? Or they had seen a video on do training once and seen a few people walking their dogs. Yeah, you'd tell them to give you lots of advice right?

Or that surgeon promised he had seen a surgery before from a distance, but never actually did one? Yeah, would you let that guy cut open your kid?

Well certainly parenthood is an important role. Someone truly qualified for it should have their opinion respected. The thing of it is. That you don't need to be qualified to become a parent. Hence the age old Dilemma. And the slew of people acting like they are an authority just because they managed to successfully use their bodies reproductive function.

So therefore I don't respect anyone's opinion JUST because they are a parent. They have to earn that respect the normal way. And anyone who thinks that they should have respect JUST because of their circumstance of parenthood has none of mine. Deal with it.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    wow this thread does not disappoint...

Where's Joanne in all this?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

Ya just had to say it did'nt ya ?
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Ya just had to say it did'nt ya ?

The word "sugar" has already been said at least three times. She'll be here eventually