Ladies who LIFT & RUN....

Options
I'm looking for more MFP friends who like to lift heavy things and run.

I'm currently training for my first 10k run that takes place at the end of this month. I still lift 3 times a week, just not going as heavy as I normally would. However, after my 10k I would like to go back to more heavier weight training and just maintain maybe one long run day a week with a couple HIIT cardio.

Keep in mind I'm a newbie both in lifting and running. Long runs are 3-4 miles to me right now, LOL I always hear how tricky it can be to do both, so it would be great to have a few more buddies who can relate. :smile:

73529108.png

Replies

• Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Greetings!! I too am a nooby runner and lifter. I have been running roughly 2-3 times a week for the last 3 months training for a 10k in November. I had my stamina up to being able to run about 4.5 miles. I started lifting 2 weeks ago (stronglifts) I go 3 times a week and am still working on form so weight progression is slow. Since starting lifting I am now only able to run for about 30 minutes (2 miles) before feeling like I'm dying.

After feedback from some MFPs I have upped my calories and am seeing how that works out for me. I'm the same height as you and would love to know how many calories you are eating,(are you still looking to lose weight or are you concentrating on performance) and what your training schedule is.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but its nice to have someone in a similar position to compare notes with!!
  • IsaCaliBel
    IsaCaliBel Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, that's another thing... I'm still trying to lose weight. However the scale is not my highest priority right now, it hasn't budged in months but I still lost inches. Until today that is, almost lost a full pound, haha

I average 1600-1800 calories a day. I was doing IIFYM but found I was becoming really obsessive with numbers, lol. Decided to go back to MFP method since I did so well that way. I haven't really lost energy on my deficit yet, if I do I will probably eat closer to maintenance since I'm working out so much. Still playing with those numbers.

73529108.png
  • sarahcakez
    sarahcakez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lifting & running noobs unite!
    I am new to running in the sense that I have never been great at it so I am starting over completely!
    Feel free to add me :)
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I think of my training in seasons, and my weight lifting fits in differently at different parts of those seasons. "On season/ training season" I have a goal race, I do not seek gains in my lifting but I lift 1-2x a week to maintain off season gains, keep from losing lean mass, and prevent injury.

Off season, once that goal race is over, I lift for gains and more strength. I lift 2-3x a week in the gym with heavy weights and then at home at least one other day with dymbbells and body weight.

Then there is a 3-4 week period before training starts again that I use to get my body fat back down to where I want it to be for racing/ on season. Here lifting, again, is not for gains but to maintain lean mass as I cut back body fat to get to "racing weight."
  • nogreenthumb
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure this out too. I just started this week (lifting and running) and I need some advice/support on how to better plan my workouts. I was thinking run twice a week and lift 3 times, but I am not sure this is even feasible.

Will add you as a friend!

L.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I'm a lifter and a runner. I usually run most days and lift 2-3 days a week (depending on how my schedule works out). I keep my runs short-ish (2-3.1 miles) and do them at lunch. I do my lifting after work (I'm currently doing Stronglifts 5x5). I also throw in one long day on the weekend where I cover 12-ish miles with my ruck on.
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    Awesome! FR sent :happy:
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I'll add you! I'm a runner - half marathons, etc - and I'm just starting to lift. I'm doing the "new rules of lifting for women" program and I'm on workout #2 today, so I'm a totally newbie. I've done free weights for my arms on and off for years, but I'm looking forward to an actual program. And I'm taking a week or so off running cause I'm having an ankle issue :mad:

Anyway, anyone else is free to add me too! Just send me a message also please.
  • beachgirl172723
    beachgirl172723 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love both- and new too.
  • Lesleycali
    Lesleycali Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm a runner, trail runner, and am trying some weight training at home with dumbbells as I don't have time to run and go the gym right now. I've got up to 40 lbs in dumbbells, will probably have to invest in heavier better equipment soon. Anyways my runs add up to about 22 miles a week.

Also we're the same height and almost the same age and live in Cali-totally adding you!
  • jpapp13
    jpapp13 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I actually started out only running and recently have started lifting and running in the last 6 months.
    I have found that I can actually decrease my mileage and still be able to meet time goals with longer distances.

Feel free to add!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    My schedule also varies depending on the season, provided you accomplish what my friend requirements are in terms of intake and somesuch feel free to hit me up...or if you have questions even, PM me
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I call myself a powerlifting runner, lol.

I run 25+ miles a week and I also lift heavy 2-3 days a week focusing on bench, OHP, squat, and dead with some calves and abs exercises tossed in at the end.

Feel free to add me if you want. I'm always looking for friends who eat properly (meaning don't starve yourself on VLCD when you have just 5 pounds to lose, for example) and run (or run + lift). :fowerforyou:
  • IsaCaliBel
    Options
    I never starve. I can't eat low calories even when I tried, lol!!! :tongue:
  • DeeDoy
    DeeDoy Posts: 45
    Options
    I like to think I'm both lol. At the moment I'm working on doing a few sessions of HIIT sprints and incline walking alongside a few longer runs in the week (3-8 miles.) I workout daily taking rest days when my body tells me to.
    My struggle jtst now is that I'm gaining weight, but I got body mass scales abd while I've put on lbs I've lost fat and gained muscle and I'm leaner. Just trying to get past the brain bender of the damn scale weight.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i'm supposed to be running 3x a week and lifting 2x and doing yoga once a week... but it hasnt really happened, i usually just do the running 3 x a week as i am training for a 10k in november so thats most important at the moment!

my 'long' run is 5 miles at the moment, but i want to get that to 6 before the actual race.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm a runner and I also really enjoy lifting. I was just saying to someone a few days ago, why can't I do both?? Coming back from a hip injury so my lower body "lifting" has been more PT than real lifting, but I'm making progress and will be back on track soon! Feel free to add me if you'd like :)
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Great to see so many runners who are lifting!! I run 3-4 marathons, 2-3 half marathons and a sprinkling of 5-10ks each years. In addition I lift 2-3 times a week and hit up kickboxing 1-2 times a week. Feel free to add me.
  • TriLaura
    TriLaura Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi All. I lift. I run. :) It is great to see so many women who do both. I've had on/off affairs with both, lifted to lose weight, ran to see how far I could go, and then started doing both. Running just chews up my muscle! So I'm lifting 3-4x a week and running 2x a week as I'm coming back after a knee scare a year ago. I've found the strength training is really helping my running. Happy to be added.
  • JENNIENS
    JENNIENS Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Another newbie runner/ weights. Currently i only do my husbands free weights he has around the house. I don't ever make it to the gym with 5 kids so i do what i can with what i have.