• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    You drink too much.

You judge too much.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hmm yeah otherhalf not too impressed!! I suppose at least I managed to get myself home without being carried!! Is 3 large glasses really a bottle?? I thought it was 4!!
    So you thing 3/4 of a bottle of wine isn't a lot of alcohol in one sitting ...

Hmmm ...
  • jojokmack
    jojokmack Posts: 117
    Options
    Hmm...a dumb non-question posted to a forum devoted to maintaining weight, yet has nothing at all to do with maintaining weight.

Welcome to my Ignore list, OP.

RUDE!.......are you part of the MFP Police? Does it bother you THAT much?
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    You drink too much.

You judge too much.

You stole my thought!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You drink too much.

You don't drink enough.
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    Hmm...a dumb non-question posted to a forum devoted to maintaining weight, yet has nothing at all to do with maintaining weight.

RUDE!.......are you part of the MFP Police? Does it bother you THAT much?

Careful now or you may also be banished to the ignore list :wink:
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    Hmm yeah otherhalf not too impressed!! I suppose at least I managed to get myself home without being carried!! Is 3 large glasses really a bottle?? I thought it was 4!!

Hmmm ...

Nope
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Hmmm ...
    As with many things on this height/weight/age/gender dependent site....wouldn't this depend?
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    OP: Have you ever measured 1 serving of wine? In the US that's 5 oz of wine. I measure it now. I pour 5 oz of water into a wine glass and mark where that is and fill only to that line. A "large" glass of wine could be 6 oz. It could be 10 oz (that would actually be 2 glasses). An entire bottle of wine is 25.368, so 5 glasses of wine. If you are only getting "4 large glasses" out of a bottle of wine, each of those glasses is likely to be around 6 oz.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Hmmm ...

Nope

Yeah, this isn't a shocking amount to me either. Of course, it depends on what constitutes a "sitting".

If I come home from work and have a glass of wine while checking mail, changing, etc that can be an hour. Then, a glass of wine while I'm cooking (45 mins - an hour). One more with my meal (30 mins). And, if I'm feeling frisky, a small one with a movie downstairs after...that's about 3/4 of a bottle in 2.5-4.5 hours. Or, a drink an hour. That's not bad.

People forget that most wine drinkers who don't have a problem drink wine slowly. If I get home at 6 and go to bed at 10:00 - 10:30 it's not that outrageous.
  • lizzie14115
    lizzie14115 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Why not add soda water and make a spritzer?, lasts just as long, but not as "merry", lol
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Why not add soda water and make a spritzer?, lasts just as long, but not as "merry", lol

Because that ruins good wine :noway:
  • cinnamon009
    cinnamon009 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OP: Have you ever measured 1 serving of wine? In the US that's 5 oz of wine. I measure it now. I pour 5 oz of water into a wine glass and mark where that is and fill only to that line. A "large" glass of wine could be 6 oz. It could be 10 oz (that would actually be 2 glasses). An entire bottle of wine is 25.368, so 5 glasses of wine. If you are only getting "4 large glasses" out of a bottle of wine, each of those glasses is likely to be around 6 oz.

Just as a note in the UK a large glass of wine is now often 250ml (especially the chain bars such as All Bar One), a medium glass is 175ml and a small is 125ml. So as most bottles contain 750 ml you only get 3 glasses out of a bottle. It means you are drinking much more than you realise and the OP had a full bottle of wine which is around 9 units. That's not really lightweight!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Measuring all my alcohol so carefully would definitely suck the fun out of it for me....
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Measuring all my alcohol so carefully would definitely suck the fun out of it for me....

mine comes in a single serving 750ml bottle. :) pre-measured. who needs a glass anyway?
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options

mine comes in a single serving 750ml bottle. :) pre-measured. who needs a glass anyway?
    my hero!!
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

Woooo!!!! A lady after my own heart!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: Hmm...a dumb non-question posted to a forum devoted to maintaining weight, yet has nothing at all to do with maintaining weight.

ME:
    There are numerous posts that have nothing to do with weight loss but they are given attention to, like the
    ones who say "rate the profile picture above you". It breaks down into a little change and fun once in a while.
  • SarahRuthRuns
    SarahRuthRuns Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is still going on.

I feel the need to take a moment to clarify some things. Realizing now (after the fact) that the OP was still buzzed when she posted this, much of this may be explained by that and is, therefore, irrelevant.

1. To assume that I had "hoped" that the OP actually had a drinking problem is ridiculous. I would never wish that on anyone, and is not what I meant at all.

2. The word "borderline." It means it could almost be insulting, not that I'm actually insulted. Big difference. Please understand the meaning of that word before jumping to conclusions or accusing me of anything.

3. Wasn't this originally posted in the "Motivation & Support" forum? Because that's where I thought it was, but I see now that it's in the "Maintaining Weight" forum. Was it moved? Or did I mis-read the forum title? It's possible I mis-read, but I remember thinking that this does not, in any way, belong in the support forum. When you see a thread about a problem pop up in a support forum (or what you think is a support forum?), you assume that person actually needs support. It should probably have been in the chit chat forum.

I'm going to just call this a lesson in choosing your words carefully. The words "alcohol" and "problem" are, in my opinion, trigger words for those who struggle with an actual "alcohol problem". I have no problem with what the OP is saying. I wish she would have worded it better (assuming she were sober when she wrote it). Had the title been "I can't hold my liquor anymore!" or "OMG! Why do I feel so buzzed?!", I wouldn't have thought twice about it. I would likely not have ventured into the thread, I most certainly wouldn't have been insulted, not even "borderline" insulted. I probably would have laughed and moved on. Using those worse to describe this particular situation is making light of actual alcohol problems, even if unintentionally. And those who struggle with such a serious problem don't need it thrown in their face that someone else thinks "not being able to drink enough" is a problem.

Hope that helps those of you who are so confused as to why I would consider this borderline insulting.

Have a fabulous Friday! And enjoy your wine. :)
  • trinatrina1984
    Options
    :drinker: