Advice needed about running..

Options
Hi.. I have been going on with my fitness journey for past one year.. When i started an year back.. I was not able to walk even a mile without getting wound up.. Now i have lost around 40 pounds.. 25 pounds still to go.. I walk around 40 miles a week at 14 minutes a mile.. Ok now to the problem.. Yesterday when i went for my daily walk.. Just for kicks seeing everybodyaround me running i got motivated.. I ran.. I ran around 1.5 miles in around 16 minutes.. And honestly i was not breathing heavily or anything.. But stopped as i didnt want to flare up an old knee injury..Now i wanna run.. How do i go about it from here.. I do calisthenics (yayog) three days a week.. And wanna be able to run three days a week..

Do increase the time gradually.. Or do intervals.. How many days should i run in the beginning.. How to increase..
Any advice from the running bosses...:drinker:

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I take a very uncomplicated approach... I put on my shoes and go run. Lots of people here though will tell you to go slow and go to a running shoe store and get fitted with the "right" shoe. I never did any of that. I just went out and ran...eventually figured out I needed minimalist shoes (but they are not for everyone so I am not proselyting). I just love running and I never worry about overdoing it.... I ran my first 5k about 3 months after I started running and jumped right to a HM a couple months after that. I had people say that was crazy and I could hurt myself... but I just wanted to run. So I did... and now I'm up to 45-50 miles a week and attempting my first 50M race next week. But this is just me. There are LOTS of excellent, experienced and smart runners here with lots of good advice. I have only been running 3.5 years and still think of myself as a beginner...
  • RosieWest8
    RosieWest8 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hello!! I'm not a 'running boss' or anything, however running is my preferred form of cardio.

Generally speaking -- beginning at about 20 minutes is great. If you weren't breathing hard and you weren't super sore the next day then you should be set to start running 20min 3x/week.

10% is the general rule for running. Doing too much too fast is the number 1 reason for injuries. So, if you are going to increase time/distance/or pace (speed) --- shoot for not more than 10%.

So once you get a week or two under your belt running at your current pace for 20min 3x/wk then you can increase one of those three. Unless you're training for a race or something, I'd go with either distance or time. So, the next week -- run for 22 minutes (and keep tacking on another 10% each week as long as you feel good) or run 10% farther (if you have a way to calculate how far you ran).

The easiest way is just to increase the amount of time running by 10%. Once your pace catches up with you, you'll be able to run a little faster and thus, farther in the same amount of time.

The most important thing is to go at the pace your body is telling you to. If you aren't sore or having trouble breathing or an erratic heart-rate then you can step it up. Just pay attention to your body and if anything hurts (even a little twinge) then you need to slow down and figure out what's wrong and address it so you don't come down with a running injury that might stick around for a while.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Most important, given the knee issue: GET GOOD SHOES. Get fitted for running shoes at a shop that will measure your gait.

Then work your way up in time, and/or up in speed or both.

Have fun!
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Run as far as you feel comfortable, if you can go further, go further. I set myself a distance to achieve at the beginning of each run depending on the mood I'm in, and go out to achieve that with the aim of running each mile under 8 1/2 minutes.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love running and have my opinions on it (as you will see everyone who replies does :) ) My suggestion is to get a book on running and follow the advice given in the book. I have "Runner's World Complete Book of Running." It will answer all questions you have as a beginner and save you the trouble of deciphering fact from fiction and opinion that you will get from posting your questions on a forum.

It really is as complicated or as simple as you want it to be with some people simply throwing shoes on and running to others studying everything from head position to foot impact. Most of us will be somewhere in between those extremes. If you want my opinion, feel free to PM me and take it for what it is worth, opinion based on my experience and reading. Most of all have fun!!!
  • VAClydesdale
    VAClydesdale Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I HIGHLY recommend going to a running store and getting properly fitted for a good pair of running shoes. I speak from experience that they will make all the world of difference in your running - especially in helping to keep you injury free. BTW, good is not equal to expensive.

Also, listen to your body and take rest days in between running days.
  • eccentric_pea
    Options
    thats whats so awesome about mfp.. you have a doubt.. just shoot it on the forums and answers galore...
    thanks everybody.. am going to running store this weekend to get proper shoes fitted...
    will run again tomorrow till when am starting to get wound up to decide the base time.... gradually increase time by 10% each week..
    i will also look into the book...

thank you guys.. :flowerforyou:
    all of u are just awesome
  • kimstwin
    kimstwin Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You can also try a C25K app, there are many. I liked to use this to start because everything was clearly laid out for me. Even now, as I'm training for my first half marathon, I like following a plan. Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I ran around 1.5 miles in around 16 minutes.. And honestly i was not breathing heavily or anything.. But stopped as i didnt want to flare up an old knee injury..Now i wanna run.. How do i go about it from here..

You've got options, there are no rules you're required to follow. I'd say you have a decent base to build on there though.

You could just keep going out and running continuously, trying to add a minute at a time to your time, then as you reach a 20 minute continuous session add 2 minutes at a time. General consensus is that to mitigate injury risk add no more than 10% per week. Aim to add time and distance, rather than speed. Speed will come with time.

Your other option is to use a structured training plan to get you to 30 or 60 minutes continuous. Given what you've described you could drop into that about 4 or 5 weeks in and work from there. The benefit of a run/ walk plan is that it gets you moving for longer at a time, and the progression is quite structured, so you don't have much opportunity to ease off.

Personally I'm ambivalent about fitted shoes for complete newbies. It'll take you a few weeks to find your gait, and you don't want to be spending a lot of money on good shoes, to find they're not right for you a month down the line. That said, they do help a lot in mitigating injury. My own suggestion would be not to bother getting dedicated shoes for a month or so.

I completed the C25K plan on old shoes, only getting dedicated new shoes about 9 weeks in. At that point I was feeling achiness in my lower legs so was needing them. That was partly due to the age of the shoes I was using, they were worn out. Now I rotate several pairs.

The main thing is to go out and enjoy it really. I find it very therapeutic.
  • jillybeansalad
    jillybeansalad Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Run steady, run intervals, run /all/ the things! :) Do what is fun for you, what will make you want to run.

As some have commented, there are a few "Couch to 5K" plans out there. They are made for those that are just getting into running. The more serious you get, the more varied running workouts you can start adding (hills, intervals, sprints, etc).