My trainer wants me to lose 79lbs in a year

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    I don't know that I would say don't focus on the number - you shouldn't let the number defeat you, but you should focus on your weight when you have a sizable amount to lose. Honestly I'm always flabbergasted by people that say they've been working out and exercising for the last year or three, they've lost 15 pounds and they're still obese. If you're going to put in the effort and sacrifice, at least get some results out of it. At the end of the day, focusing on your health means getting your weight in a healthy range.
    But the problem with focusing on the number is you can do everything right and not drop the pounds expected. And then you get disappointed and give up. If you focus on the process, the weight will come off.

Of course, track calories, exercise, drop calories as you drop pounds. But if you set a goal to lose 10 pounds in a month and only lose 5, you're going to be upset. If you set a goal to eat right and exercise and you lose 5, you'll be thrilled.

I disagree. If I'm focused on the process and I ignore changes in my weight (or lack thereof), I may sit spinning my wheels for months at a time, because I needed to make a change to my process (as evidenced by my lack of weight loss) but I didn't. What you log and what you burn are only part of the equation - the other half is your results.

You should focus on the numbers if you want to ensure results, but you need to do so in a rational manner and not get all emotional about it when you don't lose what you expected to lose. If I go for a month with no weight loss, that's not a reason to get all emo and quit - that means I need to adjust my process by dropping my calories and/or adjusting my exercise routine. Honestly if you're going to get emotional and quit because you lost 5 pounds instead of 10 in a month, I'd wager you're going to get emotional and quit regardless of what you focus on.
    Well, the advice I gave worked for me and the OP is overwhelmed by the numbers.

I dropped 32 pounds in 12 weeks and kept it off right up until my thyroid went haywire. Now I can't lose no matter what I do, but I continue exercising and eating right, regardless of the scale and haven't given up.

Telling someone who's already overwhelmed by a number that she has to focus on that number isn't helpful.
    I honestly see where both of you are coming from... on the one hand that number is awfully overwhelming and focusing on it can be difficult, but on the other hand if I don't focus on it and just feel healthier if I don't actually lose anything at the end of the day I'm still technically morbidly obese(even though I don't look it -_-) according to bmi and in a danger zone.

i might just need to find my happy medium on this one.
    I'm not saying don't look at the number. I'm saying that if you're doing everything you can and you don't meet a specific numerical goal in a specific amount of time, have some perspective.

You really CANNOT control that. You can have a perfect week and see the scale go up or not move at all. It might then drop 5 pounds the next week.

I'm saying focus on the things you can actually control. If they aren't moving the scale, change them. But to set a goal of a specific amount of weight to lose in a specific amount of time is discouraging because it may not happen no matter how perfect you are in your methods. Are you going to be upset if you lose 50 pounds in that amount of time instead of 79 when you did everything you could to lose 79? You still lost 50!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    IMO you can do 79 lbs in one year if that switch goes off in your head that tells you that you are going to do it and/or you must do it. After the switch goes off, the exercising and eating better is relatively a breeze and after a few weeks of losing a couple pounds per week (probably even more early on) the weight melting off you becomes absolutely addicting.

I lost 60 lbs in just over 6 months and I still would give myself many cheats of pizza, burgers, beer, Chinese. The diet portion doesn't have to be torture.

Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    It's possible. I have a success story that was posted in our local paper where I had a client who was 370lbs and is now 280lbs in one year's time. No dieting, no special programs.Just train with me and I told him to get the MFP app and track his calories. Along with his weight loss, he lowered all the doses on his BP meds and insulin.

derek_zpsd11f611d.jpg

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    totally do able... I started my current journey on January 8th, 2014. You can do it if you put your mind and effort to it. It won't come easy, in fact it will be danged hard. But nothing good ever comes easy.

Now, go tell your trainer you are in it to win it. Good luck!
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    One thing that helped me get started, was googling weight loss success stories and reading stories about people similar to me as far as age and weight.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    He must be crazy. Ugh I know it's possible but honestly I haven't been even under 200lbs since middle school. I'm terrified that I won't make it, and worse that I'll make it and still hate the way I look.
    So far I'm keeping my goal at 30 lbs by Christmas. Cardio 6 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. Also, low carb high protein focused.

Boy I don't want to fail... :frown:
    It's a reasonable goal but the obstacle to success is mental/psychological. If it's freaking you out, maybe you could lower it to something you can envision. After a while, you just might gain the confidence to increase it. What's the worst that could happen, that a year from now you are ONLY down 35 pounds?
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I don't know your starting point, but you can do it. I lost 130 pounds in 13 months. Some days/weeks were easier than others, but just keep working at it, don't beat yourself up if you gain at some point, just keep working toward the ultimate goal.

ETA: Keep your smaller goal of 30 pounds by Christmas, once you reach the 30 pounds set another smaller goal, ever 10 pounds or 20 pounds, whatever you feel will keep you motivated. Sometimes the ultimate goal can be daunting, but the smaller ones seem doable and then they add up.
  • Shazdei
    Shazdei Posts: 9 Member
    I was over 200, already lost that and more since end of February.
    You got this!!
  • Kaelitr0n
    Kaelitr0n Posts: 151 Member
    Even if you try and fail, you're still that much closer. Just keep swimming :)
  • 2thesexydress
    2thesexydress Posts: 54 Member
    If you can go through labour pains you can go through anything!!

Show your daughter what an amazing Mom you are... Show her what dedication can do.

You will love being 79lb lighter!! Just think of it, as if you don't how you would feel being 79lb heavier!!

You got this covered!! xx
  • berto23
    berto23 Posts: 160 Member
    He must be crazy. Ugh I know it's possible but honestly I haven't been even under 200lbs since middle school. I'm terrified that I won't make it, and worse that I'll make it and still hate the way I look.
    So far I'm keeping my goal at 30 lbs by Christmas. Cardio 6 days a week and lifting 3 days a week. Also, low carb high protein focused.

Boy I don't want to fail... :frown:

Just do it!!!! You will surprise yourself.... positive thinking
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    I did it so it is possible.
  • When losing a lot a weight in one year, you should definitely consult your doctors as well. Losing a lot of weight fast can put strain on your heart causing a lot of issues, mainly heart diseases and failures. Thats why its better to lose weight at no more than 2 pds a week. You can definitely do it with a lot of will power, I would just say make sure your doing it in a healthy way :smile:
  • You can do this! That's about 1.5 lbs per week, which is easily doable.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    When losing a lot a weight in one year, you should definitely consult your doctors as well. Losing a lot of weight fast can put strain on your heart causing a lot of issues, mainly heart diseases and failures. Thats why its better to lose weight at no more than 2 pds a week. You can definitely do it with a lot of will power, I would just say make sure your doing it in a healthy way :smile:

79/52=1.52 pounds per week.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    You can do it. And you will love your body afterwards. I promise. If it's easier for you why don't you set small goals instead of looking at the overall 79 pounds. I set my goals at 10 pound increments. It makes it seem less daunting.

Good luck!
  • Kelli850
    Kelli850 Posts: 13 Member
    You can do it and so can I! I joined a gym mid-July and did not drop any weight the first month. I started tracking my food with MFP and realize why the weight was not coming off. One dinner out to eat was the same calorie count that would take 3 Zumba classes to burn off! It was an eye opening experience for me. I am now eating high protein, low carb, and making healthier choices if I go out to eat. I've lost 8 lbs in three weeks and have a goal to loose 30 by Christmas. We can do it!
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    It is only a fail if you quit. Do what you can do. Best of luck!

This 100% The most important thing is to be healthy. Go for it, see if you can lose the weight but if you fall a little short just keep going.
  • axw7454
    axw7454 Posts: 32 Member
    When losing a lot a weight in one year, you should definitely consult your doctors as well. Losing a lot of weight fast can put strain on your heart causing a lot of issues, mainly heart diseases and failures. Thats why its better to lose weight at no more than 2 pds a week. You can definitely do it with a lot of will power, I would just say make sure your doing it in a healthy way :smile:
    Good point, my doctor actually wanted me to lose more haha! they didn't put a timeframe on it though. I'm currently 239lbs so the doctor said 135 is where I should shoot for. I don't think I was ever meant to be that tiny though lol. 79 is less than 2 lbs a week, but I'll definitely make sure I'm doing it healthy. I almost let my cousin convince me to go on this diet pill that requires you to eat less than 700 calories a day, but I want to do this the right and healthy way. No crazy extreme unhealthy fixes for me.
  • I understand the fear, but you gotta get past that if it's ever gonna work.. I hit a healthy weight 2 years ago. It took me 2 years to drop 170 lbs. It CAN be done!!!!