Salad in A Jar

Options

Replies

• hmrambling
    hmrambling Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    That kale and chicken salad looks good. Thanks for the links. That makes sense that you use quart jars so that you can fit 2 cups of greens. I'm not able to fit many greens into the pint jars after I load it them down with other veggies and meat.
  • hmrambling
    Options
    m9wnm0.jpg

5xpd2f.jpg

juephv.jpg
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    *licks screen*

That's so good lookin!
  • hmrambling
    Options
    Thanks! I've been making them since July. My salads are now in quart size jars.... and the salads just *barely* fit.
  • 10Kmiles
    Options
    great idea
  • DeboraW_55
    DeboraW_55 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    adding to the bump!
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Great ideas here. Dressing combinations that I wouldn't have thought of. Thank you so much for sharing!
  • jadesdream89
    jadesdream89 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Never seen the jars before, really good idea tho
  • missbossypants
    missbossypants Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am a huge fan of a good salad, and I've seen the salad in a jar recipes all over pinterest, but I'm baffled; it seems to me that the jar would be too full to shake it up and get all the "toppings" evenly mixed with the greens. I thought of dumping it all onto a plate, which would put the greens back on the bottom and the toppings and dressing on top, ready to mix in. But, that creates more dishes, and seems like a mess if it's an office lunch. Any insight? I think by eating it from the top down, you'd end up with mouth fulls of lettuce first, then finally hit all the other ingredients.
  • flabassmcgee
    flabassmcgee Posts: 659 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I do salad in a jar A LOT. It's a good time saver and a good meal prep. I just made this one today:

Vegan-Friendly Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl
    (5 servings)

1 bag organic steamable sweet corn
    1 box or steamable bag of garlic and herb quinoa or brown rice
    1 15oz can organic black beans
    2 large (475g) tomatoes, diced
    1/3 cup chopped green onion
    3 tbsp (15g) cilantro
    1/2 (17g) large jalapeño
    3 juiced limes (50g)
    5 tbsp (70g) canola oil
    1 1/2 teaspoons agave nectar
    1/2 teaspoon cumin
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 sliced avocado (150g)
    2 oz organic blue corn tortilla chips

Whip up the oil, spices, agave and 2 1/2 of the lime juice together with a whisk or shake it up in a small container. Distribute between your 5 mason jars.

Mix together the corn and the beans. Distribute between your 5 mason jars.

Heat rice or quinoa according to instructions. Distribute between your 5 mason jars.

Mix together tomatoes, green onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Distribute between your 5 mason jars.

Cut up the avocado and pour the remaining juice from half a lime over it. Distribute between your 5 mason jars.

Top with an even amount of the tortilla chips between your 5 mason jars.

About 527 cals per jar. I would have added chicken, but it's a little calorie dense already! So... It's vegan friendly. :P

• NuggetLovesEdie
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Yum to see some of the things that have shown up here while I fell off the MFP (and life in general) wagon for about 6 months.

furioushummus, that cilantro lime sounds divine.

And whoever made the crack about salads in jars being like the TARDIS just stole my heart!

With regard to shaking, yeah... often mine are too full to shake effectively. I also find it hard to eat out of a quart jar, though I have been known to do so when I was in and out of the car all day long with my previous job.

I now have a bowl that I keep at work to dump the salads in and toss before eating when my jar is really too full to shake effectively. However, even with full jars, shaking will still distribute the dressing right before eating.

Last week I really went out on a limb and put them in repurposed quart yogurt containers because my jars seem to be full of dry goods more than average and/or they are congregating at my work apartment. Hold on to the lid really securely if you're shaking the yogurt containers, though! I'd hate to see anyone's salad go flying across the room and end up on the floor!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Some of these sound great, thanks for sharing.
  • msuzie
    msuzie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This reminds me of the salads in a cup that they had at McDonald's. Those things were pretty tasty! I never could quite remember the name, so I just resorted to ordering a "Salad McHooHah" and they always knew what I meant. :-D

lol they were salad shakers HAHAAAAA

• anrebma
    anrebma Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    niknak2308 wrote: »
    Bump means you post the word Bump and it puts the post back up at the top of recently replied to threads so more people will see it. Sometimes there's so many threads going that people completely miss a really good one so people post Bump to literally Bump it back upto the top.

To the OP, I'm really impressed you say the salad lasts that long (8days?) without going bad? My lettuce lasts 5days max, am wondering if I should store it different.

The recipes sound delicious, thanks for sharing :)

I make them a week in advance and keep them in my fridge so I can just grab them on my way out the door. They last because the jars are airtight. Pinterest has a bunch of different options and ideas...

• AndiVentry
    AndiVentry Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started doing the mason jar salads this week and I am in LOVE! Not only do they look pretty, they taste amazing!

The beginner one I did is:
    1. 2 tablespoons of low fat balsamic vinaigrette
    2. chopped carrots (1/4 cup)
    3. red, yellow, and orange bell peppers (3/4 cup)
    4. cherry tomatoes (1/4 cup)
    5. avocado chopped (1/2 avocado)
    6. lettuce

When I am ready I shake it up so the dressing is even and then I add 1oz of fresh mozzarella cheese on top. The greatest part is the avocado doesn't even turn brown. Everyone in the office commented how pretty and good it looked!!!
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    Options
    andi, that sounds tasty