Thigh gaps and thinspo

Options

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Great post! Its amazing the tricks behind photography, either like how you have done or photoshop. I see those type of photos all over the internet too, and it doesn't bother me so much, but for teen girls etc they can be chasing something that's not real.

Agreed!
    From time to time I'll check out fitness tags on tumblr, and it's really sad to see some of the posts on there. :( I've gone to some blogs where all it is on there is very unhealthy thinspo reblogged by young women, followed by very unhealthy workout and intake routines. It's sad to see online, especially with how accessible these images are now.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • _Stardust_
    _Stardust_ Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you.
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Thank you.
    :flowerforyou: :heart:

:smile:
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I totally see the point you are trying to make here, and for those who are trying to attain the "HG Thigh Gap" thing as part of their weight loss goals, I think what you are demonstrating here is a great message.

Its true, either you have it or you dont. Even when I was at the highest weight within my healthy weight range at 175, I had a thigh gap. I only lost it when I got to around 10lbs overweight.

So it had nothing at all to do with my weight..it has *everything* to do with my bone structure...my hips are wide and Im slightly bow-legged. (Which on that note, it does make me sad to see people say they find thigh gaps unattractive...cause hey now, I cant help how my bones grow. Who is anyone to tell me my body is unattractive...I woudlnt say that about someones nose or ears!!)

Anyway, I think the point really is just to work towards being a healthy weight, and being tone and fit. No one can change their bone structure, not through weight loss anyway...surgery in Mexico maybe lol Seriously though, focusing on something like that is so not necessary and completely unproductive!
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    I totally see the point you are trying to make here, and for those who are trying to attain the "HG Thigh Gap" thing as part of their weight loss goals, I think what you are demonstrating here is a great message.

Its true, either you have it or you dont. Even when I was at the highest weight within my healthy weight range at 175, I had a thigh gap. I only lost it when I got to around 10lbs overweight.

So it had nothing at all to do with my weight..it has *everything* to do with my bone structure...my hips are wide and Im slightly bow-legged. (Which on that note, it does make me sad to see people say they find thigh gaps unattractive...cause hey now, I cant help how my bones grow. Who is anyone to tell me my body is unattractive...I woudlnt say that about someones nose or ears!!)

Anyway, I think the point really is just to work towards being a healthy weight, and being tone and fit. No one can change their bone structure, not through weight loss anyway...surgery in Mexico maybe lol Seriously though, focusing on something like that is so not necessary and completely unproductive!

giphy.gif

Beautifully stated!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    We call the thigh gap "day light".
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    We call the thigh gap "day light".

Well, that's a new term
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    The leggings are kickass. You have a nice figure and look better in the photos where you're standing/sitting naturally.

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks thigh gaps are very unattractive though.

Agreed - no need :happy:

...and :drinker:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    The leggings are kickass. You have a nice figure and look better in the photos where you're standing/sitting naturally.

I think I'm the only person in the world that thinks thigh gaps are very unattractive though.

Agreed - no need :happy:

...and :drinker:

Above person made a good point; some people just naturally have them. But they're unnecessary if you need to harm your body in the process to try to get one, especially if your body isn't built for one. :) But if it happens, it happens.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    OK so can you fix the belly part too? :laugh:
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Thanks, doll. I had a feeling.... it's kinda like IRL photoshopping. You see some of the crazy poses they put magazine models in and you just have to figure there's something behind that.

I'm a stocky Sicilian girl and so that's what I'm workin' if you know what I mean: I'm looking to create a little muscle definition. Gaps would not be a part of this image lol. Sadly I got sick with some stomach crud for a few weeks, couldn't work out, and pretty much lost all the gains I made at the gym. Feel like I'm starting over from scratch. Sigh!
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    OP, lovely post!:flowerforyou:

I have one question....

What's a thinspo?? I've never heard/read this term...
  • AdieEve
    AdieEve Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OP, lovely post!:flowerforyou:

I have one question....

What's a thinspo?? I've never heard/read this term...

"Thin inspiration", and largely a part of pro-anorexia communities.
  • Stargazer525
    Stargazer525 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Ah right! I see! Ok, thanks!:drinker:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Ah right! I see! Ok, thanks!:drinker:

Yep! And there's another term called "fitspo" or "fitspiration". It's more of a healthy lifestyle/exercise community tag and term that you may come across as well. :)
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Thanks, doll. I had a feeling.... it's kinda like IRL photoshopping. You see some of the crazy poses they put magazine models in and you just have to figure there's something behind that.

I'm a stocky Sicilian girl and so that's what I'm workin' if you know what I mean: I'm looking to create a little muscle definition. Gaps would not be a part of this image lol. Sadly I got sick with some stomach crud for a few weeks, couldn't work out, and pretty much lost all the gains I made at the gym. Feel like I'm starting over from scratch. Sigh!

But at least you're starting over! It's good that you gave yourself time to recover, even if it meant missing gym time. Now you can start fresh with a body that's healthy and ready to get back to it! :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Great thread. Oh, and I want your leggings, they're adorable.

Thank you! I got them at Marshall's, only $7.99! They have a lot of these unsymmetrical pattern leggings out this fall.

Brb, off to Marshall's

Just watch out, you may leave with a wok like I did along with these leggings, haha.

:laugh:
  • missiontofitness
    Options
    Great thread. Oh, and I want your leggings, they're adorable.

Thank you! I got them at Marshall's, only $7.99! They have a lot of these unsymmetrical pattern leggings out this fall.

Brb, off to Marshall's

Just watch out, you may leave with a wok like I did along with these leggings, haha.

:laugh:

It's no laughing matter! Who was the jerk who decided to make it possible to buy clothes and housewares in the same store?!
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Thank you! It kills me when I see naive people stressing over the damn thigh gap. I think I'd have one if I didn't have so much fat in my thighs, since I have such wide hips. And sometimes I wish I had one. Buuuuuuuuut I'm okay with it, if I never lose enough weight in my thighs, whatever.