Has anyone lost weight by quitting coffee?

Options
13»

Replies

• schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Coffee has no calories, find low fat cream or use vanilla almond milk.
  • Luv108
    Luv108 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks everyone I am still happily drinking coffee :) I took the advice of getting fat free half and half, it tastes the same as the regular and cuts the calories in half! I definately need the caffeine to keep up with my nanny job, I don't think I can live without it right now!
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Well, small changes do make impact. I like extra cream in my coffee, and I won't drink it any other way, so now I only have it 1-2 times/week. That 250 or so calories/day is sure to make a difference.
  • stratusphr
    stratusphr Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm caffeine free, as of this past Wed. I feel great and am sleeping better. I stopped per my doctor's orders, new neurologist about my migraines. I tapered off and withdrawal is REAL. It took two weeks but worth it, I think. I have dropped three pounds but nothing has changed. I am drinking decaf, I use stevia and 1% or 2% milk. I can't explain it. Any ideas?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    If you buy quality coffee and brew it at the right temperature it will not be bitter and it will not need sweeteners. Coffee will have a natural acidic taste but it isn't off putting when it is a high quality. The problem is many Americans go to Dunkin' Donuts or Starbucks (although they are a bit better) and think coffee is supposed to taste like dirty dish water.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I indulge with half and half and sugar in my coffee. But honestly, if I quit coffee--I swear I wouldn't be as regular, which would make me feel fat.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I still use the real sugar and half-n-half. But I weigh my sugar and measure one serving of half-n-half. I cut back to 2 cups of coffee a day, and I drink from a smaller cup, so the add-in are more concentrated!

But my weight loss is incredibly slow....
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Black coffee only has about 5 calories so it definitely isn't the coffee. I drink 2-3 cups of black coffee a day on average and it certainly isn't to blame, at 15 calories, for me needing to lose weight. Every once in a while I have a cup with fancy hazelnut or irish creamer but then it is dessert not a 3 x a day habit.
  • sentaruu
    sentaruu Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Drink it black, problem solved
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I found quitting coffee made me gain weight. Or maybe that's just the excuse I'm using for today. But seriously, I used to brew a whole pot of coffee for a 12hr shift and pretty much sip on it throughout the entire day. When I stopped that habit I found I had replaced it with many snacks instead o_o
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Caffeine and artificial sweeteners make many people retain water, so stopping coffee could help with a few pounds of water weight, but unless you have a bikini competition tomorrow, I would not worry.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I didn't really start drinking coffee regularly until after I started trying to lose weight. I drink 1 12oz mug of coffee a day. I add 1.5 tbsp of Coffee Mate Mocha Creamer, and one Truvia packet. It's less than 60 calories, and much MUCH better (both for my calories, and for my wallet!) than going and getting a mocha latte or something similar at a coffee shop. I've been doing this for the last several months and it has not negatively impacted my weight loss in any way.

You could always try the fat free/sugar free coffee creamers.
  • xmissbehaved56x
    Options
    Medical student here. If someone is drinking Starbucks lattes or adding a lot of creamer then yes it would be a benefit to cut it out. Black coffee actually increases metabolism and is a diuretic which helps flush out extra water. I suggest cutting out the creamer and artificial sweetener and drink it black. When I started drinking black coffee twice a day before work outs I actually lost weight that I didn't want to lose since I am thin already and trying to build muscle.