Snowflakes to Sunshine Week#5 Discussion (CLOSED GROUP)

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
Discuss how we are feeling after this week's weigh--in. Did you do anything different this week that you feel helped or didn't help. What are your goals going into this next week.

Replies

• Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Down 1 pound.

Planning on working on my sodium this week.
  • rula39
    rula39 Posts: 26
    Options
    up 4 pounds, Blame it on me for not tracking my food and having The time of the month. I hope I will loose some of it this week and be back on track.
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    I only had one day that was bad with my sodium. A few days I didn't feel like working out but I pushed myself to get it done. I didn't eat out at all this week! I stuck to my goals. I'm going to Keep on Keeping on!
  • TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    bump
  • whittrusty
    whittrusty Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    Good morning Snowflakes! I love that we have the weigh in thread and then a different discussion thread!

I lost 1.8 this week. I am happy about that, but also a bit disappointed too. I really was expecting a bigger loss. I stayed under my sodium goal all week, I exercised all but yesterday, I drank plenty of water, it's not TOM. I just don't understand why it wasn't a bigger number. I know I am getting caught up in "numbers", but I see all these other people with great losses like 3-5 lbs and I'm thinking "why can't I just have 1 week like that. Just one week." Oh well, I'm going in the right direction and I'm leading a more healthy lifestyle altogether so that is a plus.

Great job everyone!
  • helengator1
    Options
    Good morning Snowflakes! I love that we have the weigh in thread and then a different discussion thread!

I lost 1.8 this week. I am happy about that, but also a bit disappointed too. I really was expecting a bigger loss. I stayed under my sodium goal all week, I exercised all but yesterday, I drank plenty of water, it's not TOM. I just don't understand why it wasn't a bigger number. I know I am getting caught up in "numbers", but I see all these other people with great losses like 3-5 lbs and I'm thinking "why can't I just have 1 week like that. Just one week." Oh well, I'm going in the right direction and I'm leading a more healthy lifestyle altogether so that is a plus.

Great job everyone!

For those of us only having small losses but really killing it and doing things right, check out this article. It really helped me :). (Thanks to another MFPer who posted it). If we stay the course and eat clean and workout, we'll get there! Love you Snowflakes!
    Train Hard, Eat Smart!
    http://marckent.com/288/why-the-scale-lies/

The article below is so informative. I have heard this so many times, but never totally believed/bought into it. The way this trainer explains it (talking about glycogen, etc) hit it home for me. I am going to hold fast and see results by “training hard and eating clean”. I love the feathers and gold analogy. I’m going for solid gold baby ;)

As a personal trainer I’m constantly warning people that the scales are an evil contraption designed to make us feel bad about ourselves and so “diet clubs” can look down on you and say “have you been cheating” to make you feel even worse!

I constantly tell people over and over again that daily weighing is unnecessary, yet how many of you cannot break the ritual of hoping on the scales every day. Do your self a favour and throw the scales in the bin or my favorite, give them to someone you don’t like! If you can’t bring yourself to do either of those then you should definitely familiarize yourself with the factors that can influence its readings. When you factor in things like water retention, glycogen storage and changes in lean body mass, fluctuations in your body weight is normal. The bathroom scale should not be looked upon as your sole guide of success or failure. Once you understand more about how the body works, you can free yourself from the daily battle with the bathroom scale.

Your body is made up of approximately 60% water. Daily fluctuations in the body’s water content can send scale-watchers into a panic if they don’t understand what’s happening. Two things that can influence water retention are water consumption and salt intake. As strange as it may sound, the less water that you drink, the more of it your body retains! If you are even slightly dehydrated your body will hang onto its water supplies, possibly causing the number on the scale to creep upward. So if you are thirsty, drink up as you are already dehydrated!

Excessive amounts of salt (sodium) in our diet can also play a big role in water retention. A single teaspoon of salt contains over 2,000 mg of sodium. As a guide, we should only eating between 1,000 and 3,000 mg of sodium per day, so it can be easy to go overboard. Sodium is a sneaky substance, its in nearly everything you eat and drink. The more highly processed a food is, the more likely it is to have a high sodium content. That is why, when it comes to nutrition I recommend sticking to the basics: fruits, vegetables, lean meat, beans, and whole grains. Be sure to read the labels on canned foods, frozen meals and anything that comes packaged in a box.

Women may also retain several pounds of water prior to menstruation. This is very common and the weight will likely disappear as quickly as it arrives. As with general water retention, pre-menstrual water-weight gain can be minimized by drinking lots of water, maintaining an exercise program, and keeping high-sodium processed foods to a minimum.

The body stores carbohydrates as glycogen. Think of glycogen as the fuel tank for daily living. Some of this glycogen is stored in the liver and some is stored the muscles themselves. This energy reserve weighs more than a pound and for every gram of glycogen stored the body stores approximately 4 grams of water. This can add up to 3-4 pounds of water weight when its stored. Your glycogen supplies, along with the stored water, will shrink during the day if you fail to take in enough carbohydrates. When this happens our weight will drop on the scales but its only temporarily because as soon as we eat a meal containing carbohydrates the body will fill the glycogen fuel tank along with storing water. It’s normal to experience glycogen and water weight fluctuations of up to 2 pounds per day even with no changes in your calorie intake or activity level. These fluctuations have nothing to do with fat loss, however I can imagine they would make the weekly weigh-in at the diet club frustrating, something I’m sure they don’t tell you about!

People also tend to forget the actual weight of the food that we eat on a daily basis will affect the number on the scale. So eating a big meal along with any drinks before hopping on the scale is only going to result in a higher reading. The 5 pounds you put on right after eating a huge meal with drinks is not fat, it’s the weight of the food and will be gone in several hours when the body has finished digesting it. For this reason, it’s a good idea to weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you’ve had anything to eat or drink.

In order to store one pound of fat we need to eat 3500 calories above our daily caloric needs. So if you take the above example, to actually store the above dinner as 5 pounds of fat, you would have to eat a massive 17,500 calories. This is highly unlikely, and in fact it’s probably not humanly possible(but please don’t try to prove me wrong!). So if the scale goes up 3 or 4 pounds overnight, relax, as it’s most likely increased water weight, glycogen, and the weight of your dinner. Bear in mind that the 3,500 calorie rule also works in reverse. If our goal is to lose one pound of fat you will need to burn an extra 3,500 calories more than you take eat. Generally, it’s only possible to lose 1-2 pounds of fat per week. So when you follow a severely low calorie diet that causes your weight to drop 10 pounds in 7 days, it’s physically impossible for all of that to be fat. What you’re really losing is water, glycogen, and muscle.

This brings me to the scale’s sneakiest lie. The scale doesn’t just weigh fat; in fact it only tells you how heavy you are under gravity at that moment. So when you hope on the scale what it collectively weighs your muscles, bones, water, internal organs, in fact everything that is you. Losing weight and losing fat are two different things and in fact, the scale has no way of telling you what you’ve lost (or gained). With that in mind, if you have been on a restrictive diet and lost a lot of weight in a short period of time then you have probably lost a lot of muscle tissue. Losing muscle is nothing to celebrate. Muscle is a metabolically active tissue, the more muscle you have the more calories your body burns on a daily basis, even while you are sat reading this. That’s one of the reasons why a fit, active person is able to eat considerably more food than the dieter who is painfully counting points and who is unwittingly destroying muscle tissue. Also if you are losing a lot of weight by crash dieting and not exercising and therefore by sacrificing muscle tissue you will not get the body transformation results you desire. You will just end up a smaller version of yourself. Or as one of my clients recently put it, a smaller fat person!

If you were to compare your muscles and fat to gold and feathers with one pound of fat being a big lumpy bag of feathers, and one pound of muscle as a small but extremely valuable piece of gold. Our goal would then be to get rid of the lumpy feathers and replace it with as much gold as possible. So in effect we would weigh exactly the same the only problem with the scale is that it doesn’t differentiate between the two. It can’t tell you how much of your total body weight is lean tissue (gold) and how much is fat (feathers).

Skin-fold calipers, hydrostatic (or underwater) weighing and bioelectrical impedance are all methods we can use to measure our body composition to discern whether we are losing (or gaining) fat and muscle and while none of these methods are 100% accurate, they offer a better way of measuring our bodies changes than the scale.

Now if the thought of being pinched, dunked, or gently electrocuted doesn’t appeal to you, don’t worry, one of the best measurement tool of all is a simple tape measure and your very own eyes. If the tape is showing that you have lost inches, your clothes fit better and the person looking back at you in the mirror is a leaner, fitter more confident person who isn’t bound by different coloured days then surly that is a better judge of your success than the lies from the bathroom scale.

Do yourself a favour and buy yourself a big hammer and introduce it to the springy, beady eyed lying menace, not only will you release a lot of built up tension but you will feel better for it, (just be sure to wear the correct safety clothing)!

Train Hard, Eat Smart!
    http://marckent.com/288/why-the-scale-lies/
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I am sitting here, wearing my work out clothes, getting ready to zumba and remembered I needed to to weigh-in for S2S challenge. I was feeling pretty confident--I stayed in my calories all days except one (missed by 100 calories), my sodium was in-check and I did cardio 5 days.

Talk about a disappointment. I am up a pound. Five weeks into this challenge and I am just 3 pounds down from my start weight. I want to stay positive and not either victimize myself or be angry at myself, but I'm just not there. My head knows this takes time, water weight, fluctuations, all of that...But right now, I just want to crawl back into the bed and be sad/frustrated/negative.

I know, I know snowflakes, debbie downer in the building. I am going to get up from here right now and work out anyway, but I could sure use some encouragement...
  • Guatamellon
    Guatamellon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am down to 193. :)

Last night I pulled out my Skinny clothes. Worried they would not fit yet but I started trying them on and modeling them in the mirror. I almost started to cry. I still have alot to lose but I feel amazing.I am starting to feel like me again. I cant wait to say my skinny clothes will be my fat clothes. I have a ton of clothes now and I got rid of a ton. Starting to feel better about turning 30 and not looking like a cow LOL. Good luck everyone! One day at a time sometimes one hour at a time but it will pay off in the end.
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    last week i standstill but this week i rock the scale from 197-195.4. This week i join the gym, in addition 2 working out at my job's gym. i also been doing this protein diet; egg for bkfst every morn, fruits 4 dinner, & whatever 4 dinner (i'm a vegetarian). So this diet is 4 a month so i will see. Anyway, keep moving MFP, oh by the way i've been doing weight training every other day with my cardio
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I am sitting here, wearing my work out clothes, getting ready to zumba and remembered I needed to to weigh-in for S2S challenge. I was feeling pretty confident--I stayed in my calories all days except one (missed by 100 calories), my sodium was in-check and I did cardio 5 days.

Talk about a disappointment. I am up a pound. Five weeks into this challenge and I am just 3 pounds down from my start weight. I want to stay positive and not either victimize myself or be angry at myself, but I'm just not there. My head knows this takes time, water weight, fluctuations, all of that...But right now, I just want to crawl back into the bed and be sad/frustrated/negative.

I know, I know snowflakes, debbie downer in the building. I am going to get up from here right now and work out anyway, but I could sure use some encouragement...

That was me last week! I felt so down that I had done really well and lost almost nothing (and then only a coincidental loss, because I was actually up from my Monday weigh-in.) But I went back and looked at my "Net Calorie" report, and I hadn't been getting enough calories! What a jolt to think I wasn't losing weight because I wasn't eating ENOUGH! This week I have succeeded in eating a net of 1200-1400 calories every day but one, and saw a loss of over 4 pounds! I am thrilled and just want to encourage everyone who isn't seeing the numbers they want on the scale to please read the long post a few before this one, and to check your reports and see if you are in line for sodium, water, and net calories. I actual worked out less often this past week, too, because I'm nursing a pulled ligament in my knee, but I adjusted my calories to my activity level and it worked.
    Best of luck to everyone, and don't let a stupid little number get in the way of a better you.
  • Krys_T
    Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

Its ok girl...keep pushing! I think I am a great example of gaining weight and then losing a big number, by just sticking with it! You can do it! Do not get discouraged...just like whitt said..this is not a sprint...its a marathon! Push through and work out..you will feel great later! Trust me!
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    That was me last week! I felt so down that I had done really well and lost almost nothing (and then only a coincidental loss, because I was actually up from my Monday weigh-in.) But I went back and looked at my "Net Calorie" report, and I hadn't been getting enough calories! What a jolt to think I wasn't losing weight because I wasn't eating ENOUGH! This week I have succeeded in eating a net of 1200-1400 calories every day but one, and saw a loss of over 4 pounds!

Okay, this is something to think about. I was under the impression that as long as I got in 1200 calories and ate some of my exercise calories I'd be okay. Looking back at my report for "net calories" last week, there was only 2 days I was over 1200 calories. The rest of the week I was way under because of the intensity of exercise I did. So this week I am going to try to make sure my "net" goes over 1200.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Hello snowflakes!:love:

Well, I am bit bit bummed I must say. I was just looking over my weigh in's

I have been doing really good for the most part. I made a goal for this week to do something new. I tried a class this week one day and I met with a personal trainer one day also. I know I struggle with sodium intake, so I really need to focus on reducing that. I have been faithfully going to the gym 4-5 days a week for about 7 weeks now.

One thing I am considering, which scares me, is that the personal trainer said my calories are too low. SHe said I should be at 1,700 even without working out! I think that's too high for me but I am considering tweaking it a little and seeing if that helps.

:frown: :sad: :mad:
  • leandread
    leandread Posts: 166 Member
    Options

That was me last week! I felt so down that I had done really well and lost almost nothing (and then only a coincidental loss, because I was actually up from my Monday weigh-in.) But I went back and looked at my "Net Calorie" report, and I hadn't been getting enough calories! What a jolt to think I wasn't losing weight because I wasn't eating ENOUGH! This week I have succeeded in eating a net of 1200-1400 calories every day but one, and saw a loss of over 4 pounds! I am thrilled and just want to encourage everyone who isn't seeing the numbers they want on the scale to please read the long post a few before this one, and to check your reports and see if you are in line for sodium, water, and net calories. I actual worked out less often this past week, too, because I'm nursing a pulled ligament in my knee, but I adjusted my calories to my activity level and it worked.
    Best of luck to everyone, and don't let a stupid little number get in the way of a better you.

Thank you thank thank you. I just needed to hear something positive. Just a quick stop back on the message board--I got up, I worked out, I did 45 minutes of zumba, I heard my salsa sueno and I feel better :) Now off to my day.
  • ChantalC1969
    ChantalC1969 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sheila_KI
    Sheila_KI Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    For some future motivation, I visited my favorite consignment shop last weekend. I found a pair of jeans for short people. At 5'1/2" it is hard to find clothes that don't need altering. The only thing that these jeans need is a smaller waist. I was able to zip and button..but couldn't bend over...I had to buy them. I know I will fit into them shortly.

Everyone have a fantastic week. Exercise. Keep your diary. Drink your water. Take it a day at a time.

My favorite saying right now. A pound a week is 52 pounds in a year.

We can do this together!!!!
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    DOWN 1 LB!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!

I know i know 1lb not a lot but man I am happy to see a one pound loss considering I have been stuck at the same weight since the 1st week of the challenge!!! not to mention I was up a pound last week (so technically it was2lbs from last week :happy: )

Ok so for those of you who feel like you are doing everything right and not losing here is what worked for me:
    1)You NEED 1200 NET calories everyday!!---so If you burn 1000 cals be prepared to eat all day because without those 1200 net cals you arent going to lose weight as easily!! I made sure to get 1200 net everyday last week
    2) If you are stuck for atleast 3 weeks take two days off---like eat 2000 cals for 2 days and then back on schedule the next
    3) No workout the day before weigh in!!!

So I did all of these things this week and what do ya know!? I see a loss!!!after weeks of :grumble: grumbling and :sad: crying when i looked at the scale---the week I give myself cheat days and cut back on exercise I actually made the scale move :laugh:
    I honestly cant tell you how happy I was to actually see a loss this week :noway:

So good luck snowflakes and hang in there!!! If you have been stuck like me---try my remedy next week and maybe it will work for you too :wink:

Congrats to everyone who had a loss, and for those who didnt just hang in there!! it will happen!!! Enjoy your friday :smile:
  • Kkmama
    Kkmama Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Hi Snowflakes!
    I am down 1.9 lbs this week. Very happy with what I saw.... dipping, barely, but still into the 2- teens! Haven't seen this # in so long was wondering if I ever would.... or if the scale knew it was ME and refused to budge!
    I am going to continue with watching what I am eating, making good choices and being active everyday for at least 30 minutes a day. Here's to another great week for all of us!
    Christina
  • klwa
    klwa Posts: 61
    Options
    Good for you!! Even when I don't feel like exercising, I always feel better if I make myself get up and do it anyway.

It seems that each week I seem to be up a little or down a little, but when I look back over the last month or so, the overall trend is down. This really does work if we stick to it! My best weeks are the ones where I make sure to get in at LEAST 8 glasses of water per day, write down every single bite I put in my mouth, and try to eat most of my calories earlier in the day (with a light dinner at night). We can so do this!!!