The thing about ice cream

Options
I try to follow the moderation mentality and eat mostly healthy, but sometimes when I want a treat I indulge myself. With summer coming to an end, my son wanted to go to our ice cream spot today, so I decided to have a sundae in lieu of lunch. While it was yummy, I still wanted more once I basically scraped every last drop of melted ice cream out of the cup. I also don't feel satisfied now at the end of the day because I still tried to maintain my deficit, so dinner was very sensible but for some reason I just don't feel very satiated. (I am not actually hungry though.) Anyways, I guess I am just thinking out loud here, but sometimes I think having a "treat" isn't even really worth it. I used to be a smoker, and I distinctly remember an "a-ha" moment when it dawned on me that it wasn't even worth giving in to the craving because no matter how many cigarettes I smoked, I would still crave more regardless. I don't think I am quite ready to go cold turkey on ice cream yet (or cake, or chocolate, or beer...) but I can't help but see the correlation today...

Replies

• MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've also noticed sweets during the day cause me to crave more. So I wait until later in the evening. It leaves me more satisfied, and there is less time to be tormented if I do crave more. I also have a tea that tasyes sweet, but is actually unsweetened, so that helps satisfy me too
  • glasshalffull713
    glasshalffull713 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    That's very true- perhaps that's why dessert comes after dinner? Less torture.

Is the tea Licorice tea by Yogi tea by any chance? I love that tea.

Dark dark chocolate usually does the trick for me too, without the crazy excessive calories, and I usually feel very satiated by a square or two. It's just that my mind keeps tricking me into thinking I want super sugary stuff that leaves me feeling not so good!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I think you would have felt differently about it if you had it at the end of the day, instead of working your dinner and meal calories around it. Having it at home, you could have gone the way of frozen yogurt or something that has less calories. I would feel the same as you though. I'm having the same problem with savory/salty stuff as I type.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    The thing that I always forget, is that I actually love healthy food! I get so focused on wanting something that I "shouldn't" have, but often when I resist I am pretty satisfied with something way more reasonable.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    The thing that I always forget, is that I actually love healthy food! I get so focused on wanting something that I "shouldn't" have, but often when I resist I am pretty satisfied with something way more reasonable.

I know, right! Friday night I scarfed down doritos for dessert and Saturday I had cottage chess and fruit and I was equally happy. Dumb.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I can't help. The best lunches I've had were peanut buster parfaits from Dairy Queen.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

I know, right! Friday night I scarfed down doritos for dessert and Saturday I had cottage chess and fruit and I was equally happy. Dumb.

Ice cream and Doritos can both be a part of a balanced diet. Not sure what is unhealthy about ice cream.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

Ice cream and Doritos can both be a part of a balanced diet. Not sure what is unhealthy about ice cream.

Ok, what are the health benefits of ice cream?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Does there need to be?? It's ice cream. ... lol I can get all my nutrition in with my Brussels sprouts and asparagus and 20 ounce of chicken. I won't get any extra credit spending the rest of my calories eating more Brussels sprouts but I can darn sure enjoy a bowl of Chocolate Reese peanut butter cup ice cream.........
  • ChildrenCryinNCoffee
    Options
    I had Ice Cream today.

Calcium, for my bones.

Protein, duh.

Chocolate, helps decrease blood pressure.

Other than "white sugar" what's 'unhealthy' about Ice Cream?
  • suppakana
    suppakana Posts: 307 Member
    Options

http://blog.doctoroz.com/sharecare/sharecare-top-5-surprising-benefits-of-ice-cream
  • reneeberard
    Options
    Everyone should have a dessert bullet.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    Ok guys, I am not trying to get into a debate here, but ice cream really has no redeeming nutritional value. There are 3 grams of protein in a serving of vanilla ice cream. The rest is fat and sugar. I am in no way trying to demonize ice cream. If it fits into your calorie allotment for the day, go for it. That's exactly what I did today. My point was only that it didn't actually satisfy me. That's it. Just becoming aware of how a certain food made me feel and making an observation about it, in hopes that I learn from it when making choices in the future. It would be one thing if I had the ice cream, and then was satisfied by my choice and felt good about having a treat. That is not what happened in my case. End of story. Everyone else can eat all the ice cream they want, and I will not judge. However when you eat it, you might not want to delude yourself that there is a nutritional benefit.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options

It's a great way to round out your fat macros.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    if you're not feelin like eating ice cream you could try one of those frozen banana peanut butter recipes to make mock ice cream. haven't tried it, but i do love bananas & peanut butter and i don't do dairy so it seems pretty great.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options

It's a great way to round out your fat macros.

Lolz, not a problem here by any means! But yeah, good point.
  • glasshalffull713
    Options
    if you're not feelin like eating ice cream you could try one of those frozen banana peanut butter recipes to make mock ice cream. haven't tried it, but i do love bananas & peanut butter and i don't do dairy so it seems pretty great.

That is a great suggestion. Sometimes at my house we make "fake ice-cream" where basically I make an ultra thick smoothie using as little liquid as possible (usually involves frozen bananas too- they make a great texture.) It is both satisfying, and nutritious.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Anything can be a bad fit into a diet though. .. I mean, if I ate an apple instead of my peanut butter tonight I wouldn't have hit my protein goal. ...

If I had an avacado instead of milk, I'd miss my calcium goal.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make saying it has no redeeming nutritional values to it. It has fats, some protein, and tastes delicious and if you're meeting your nutrient needs what the hell does it matter? It's tasty....

If you don't want to partake, sure. Blend up some frozen bananas and call it good but don't fool yourself that it's ice cream. Unless, you put said concoction into ice cream. .... ideas!!!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    For years I have said that one day, I will skip the meal and just have dessert. I finally did that a few weeks ago. A friend of mine had a rough day and I met her for ice cream, instead of having lunch. After eating the chocolate sundae, I was "searching" for something else to eat all day long!!! Lesson learned- real food is much more satisfying!:flowerforyou: