Healthy Fried Rice

Options
Mygsds
Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
Always double this recipe......family loves this

Healthy Fried Rice
Servings: 6
Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Nutritional Information: 128.7 calories, 3.7g of fat, 15.9g of carbohydrates, 1.5g of fiber, 3.5g of protein
Weight Watchers® PointsPlus®: 3 *

Ingredients

2 cups cooked, cold brown rice
2 tsp vegetable or safflower oil, divided
1 tsp sesame oil
1 egg
1 egg white
5 scallions, chopped
1/2 head green cabbage, shredded
1 large carrot, grated
4 cloves garlic, minced
1-inch piece ginger, minced
2 tbsp soy sauce
Instructions

Heat your pan over medium high heat. Whisk together the egg and egg white and season with salt and pepper. Add 1 tsp of vegetable oil to the pan. Add the eggs and cook until just scrambled. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add the remaining vegetable oil and sesame oil to the hot pan. Add the scallions, cabbage, carrot, garlic, ginger, and any other veggies you like. Cook for 1-2 minutes until they just begin to soften.
Add the rice and cook for 2-4 more minutes, stirring constantly, until the rice begins to crisp up.
Add the soy sauce and egg. Stir together and cook for 1 more minute.

Replies

• GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    What makes this healthier than normal fried rice?
  • Mygsds
    Options

If you look at the recipe it calls for brown rice, instead of white.....
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

So what makes brown rice better than white rice?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Brown rice isn't any healthier than white.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

+1
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options

+1

+ ∞
  • Mygsds
    Options
    This is what my nutritionist told me and this is what I also discovered......

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/10-reasons-why-brown-rice-is-the-healthy-choice/

Also there is less oil in this recipe.... Don't shoot the messenger, I was trying to give a alternative to higher calorie alternatives....
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like to make my own fried rice too.....you can control the oil & soy sauce. Sesame oil...yum.

Birdseye makes frozen Steamfresh bags of rice blends.....I like to use the Brown & Wild Rice with Broccoli & Carrots one.....add some diced chicken (or shrimp).....yum.
  • lax75
    lax75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No difference in calories. BUT brown rice has lower glycemic index (per Harvard School of Public Health) so is slower to raise blood glucose levels. This may not matter to everyone, especially if you only eat rice occasionally anyway, but for some people that's a very important difference.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    No difference in calories. BUT brown rice has lower glycemic index (per Harvard School of Public Health) so is slower to raise blood glucose levels. This may not matter to everyone, especially if you only eat rice occasionally anyway, but for some people that's a very important difference.

That's me..
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

So what makes brown rice better than white rice?
    Personally, it's a toss up for me. Brown rice has less calories than white rice, by volume, but it also has more fat and fiber, so less net carbs. It has less of a glycemic impact and is considered a whole grain, which are both pluses. But it's also a lot more chewy and I don't know that I'd like its texture as a fried rice.

Otherwise, the combination of ingredients look like a good recipe, but I'd need to add some chicken or pork or my husband would turn up his nose if I served it as anything other than a side dish. :)
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the recipe! We make a similar fried rice, but I have never thought to put cabbage in it. YUM! Sounds great!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

That's me..

So why not call it "Low-GI" Fried Rice, instead of "healthy?" Inserting the subjective term "healthy" implies that this fried rice is somehow superior to its white rice counterpart.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    This is what my nutritionist told me and this is what I also discovered......

http://www.vegkitchen.com/tips/10-reasons-why-brown-rice-is-the-healthy-choice/

Also there is less oil in this recipe.... Don't shoot the messenger, I was trying to give a alternative to higher calorie alternatives....

No one is shooting anyone. But you claimed it's the healthy version so I'm trying to find out how this change makes it healthier. Yes making your own of course you can limit the oil but oil isn't unhealthy either.

Since you went with a blog, I'll put one out too that covers this pretty well

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/brown-rice-vs-white-rice/
  • Mygsds
    Options

That's me..

So why not call it "Low-GI" Fried Rice, instead of "healthy?" Inserting the subjective term "healthy" implies that this fried rice is somehow superior to its white rice counterpart.

Really... Why dont you ask the website www.slenderkitchen Where this recipe came from... If this recipe isn't for you, I totally understand , but wanted to share something that I had tried and liked... All done.........
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    This does sound decent... But my brother uses Jasmine rice for fried rice and it's AMAZING. So, I'll stick with that. lol
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    LOL wow, all these people hopping on the shoot-the-messenger train. What's healthy or not healthy to you may not apply to everyone. If this recipe doesn't apply to you, simply move past it and move on. Your "2 cents" is unneeded as your health requirements don't apply to it. It works for the OP and they wanted to share it, simple as that, so don't turn it into something it's not.

Thanks for the recipe OP. :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

That's me..

Really... Why dont you ask the website www.slenderkitchen Where this recipe came from... If this recipe isn't for you, I totally understand , but wanted to share something that I had tried and liked... All done.........

Meanwhile at slenderkitchen.com

Healthy Pumpkin Recipes
    * Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
    * Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes
    * Pumpkin Beer Bread with Pumpkin Maple Cream Cheese

*Nods head in approval.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    LOL wow, all these people hopping on the shoot-the-messenger train. What's healthy or not healthy to you may not apply to everyone. If this recipe doesn't apply to you, simply move past it and move on. Your "2 cents" is unneeded as your health requirements don't apply to it. It works for the OP and they wanted to share it, simple as that, so don't turn it into something it's not.

Thanks for the recipe OP. :)

Thank you... That's what you get for trying.. Oh well..
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Sounds awesome! Thanks!