What to do with Greek Yogurt?

Options

Replies

• LizardIsANerd
    Options
    I second the Tzatziki. I buy it premade (I think it is Oikos brand) at Wal Mart near the sour cream. I use it for dipping my carrots and celery in AND just the other day I discovered something...
    I had a 2Tbsp serving of Tzatziki in my lunch box but I forgot my carrots and celery. I also had a Joseph's brand Flax, whole wheat and rye pita and a pouch of generic tuna (in water, of course). I poured the tuna on the pita and added the Tzatziki over it....
    SOOOOOO good. It comes in at 185 calories and 26 grams of protein!!
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I just eat it, with a little bit of garam masala sprinkled on top. Lovely. Really good yoghurt however is not low-fat, so need to watch that I think .
  • derbygirl90
    Options
    I use it on baked potatos. It's delicious if you mix w/ fresh dill, dijon, lemon and put on top of mahi mahi.
  • RachElizabeth87
    Options
    My favorite breakfast has become, Fage 0 fat (plain) greek yogurt.
    I take one cup of the greek yogurt, add a tablespoon of organic honey, and mix in a cup of berries (whatever is most fresh at that time). I also like to add a small handful of chopped walnuts to the top every once in a while. Absolutely delicious and very filling!
  • bayba792
    bayba792 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I make homemade brownies and I substitute oil for nonfat greek yogurt to reduce the calories, the brownies do come out more cake like but they are still yummy! I also substitute for sour cream.
  • droppin_lbs
    droppin_lbs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys :)

I've never had Greek Yogurt, but I love plain yogurt - mountain high is usually the brand I buy.

Does Greek yogurt taste diff then regular yogurt and does it have diff health benefits?

Thanks!!
  • delilah514
    delilah514 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Like most of the others I substitute greek yogurt for sour cream. I recently found a yummy Creamy Cucumber & Dill Salad recipe. The original uses sour cream but I use the greek yogurt instead.

3 lebanese cucumbers (seeds removed & thinly sliced)
    3 green onions (thinly sliced)
    2 tbsp lemon juice
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    2 tbsp fresh dill or 1 tbsp dried dill

I have been making this as a yummy summer salad since I found the recipe back in December. I can't get enough of it.

I also like to use greek yogurt with berries & granola as a quick and easy breakfast.
  • Hotbottom
    Hotbottom Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Drain it overnight in some stockings. Then the next day add some salt and maybe mixed herb or crushed garlic and use it like cream cheese. Can go wild here with recipes... add chili flakes and lemon rind. Or honey and cinnamon and put it on your toast. Also I like to use it and put on my face as a face mask. Your skin is fab and smooth after. Also you can make the yogurt really easily yourself too, if it is expensive where you live.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I've never had Greek Yogurt, but I love plain yogurt - mountain high is usually the brand I buy.

Does Greek yogurt taste diff then regular yogurt and does it have diff health benefits?

It does taste different! I've never had GY until last year and honestly, I thought it tasted gross until I found one that I like. I *love* Fage, plain and with some added extras. I haven't tried it in any recipes yet.

It has a higher amount of protein in it and I think it has less sugar (?)

I say give it try and find one that you like!
  • duffylinn
    Options
    I marinate my meats in it with indian spices (like garam masala) and canned tomatoes. I also marinate egg plant slices in it and then grill or broil. VERY YUMMY! You can also add fruit preserves to it and make your own yogurt, I add it to pasta salads and tuna/chicken salad with a tad bit of pesto sauce (like a tsp). I'll use it on sandwiches also and chili instead of sourcream.
  • duffylinn
    Options
    This sounds so good!!!!!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Posted recipe this morning for Filling Chocolate Lovers Yogurt. It's Good!!!!
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    A great protein to add to breakfast smoothies. Some ice, plain greek yogurt and some fruits in the blender...YUMM-O!!! Maybe even bananas with a tablespoon of peanut butter for a great protein kick.
  • juleslianne
    Options
    If you've ever heard of Hungry Girl, she sort of swaps unhealthy foods for healthy ones. On her website she has TONS of recipies. One that I tried was her Holy Moly Guacamole using plain Greek Yogurt, and she also tells how to make healthier chips! Really good and fun to make, but easy! Hope this helps! :smile:
  • vegasgirl92
    Options
    How do you all replace sour cream with this yogurt? I have had it on one occasion, and its very sour/bitter yogurt! How do you stand it???
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    I use it for MANY things.... I use plain to make dressings, homemade tziki sauce, as mayo replacement, also wonderful with berries and granola or nuts.

I eat chobani fruit ones also, but as for vanilla and plain... both are perfect for smoothies!

I am drawing a blank... haha but I use it OFTEN for many things.
    Oh, and i use greek in No Pudge Fudge brownies instead of regular yogurt.. more protein ;) and it's what we keep in the house.
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    Bump
  • yalisa0424
    yalisa0424 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just throw whatever fresh fruit I have on it with a bit of granola. Wonderful mid-day snack and packed with protein.
  • mtwd65
    mtwd65 Posts: 51
    Options
    I use it instead of milk on muesli, I put it in mashed potato, I use it in curries, I eat it with a spoon of honey over it, I make tzatsiki and raita, marinade chicken in a mixture of yoghurt lemon juice and spices and cook at a really high temperature for a tandoori style chicken,.

Don't cook with the fat free variety, it curdles.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    quaker rolled oats, plain greek yogurt and dark chocolate almonds by Emerald prepared the night before to set in the fridge..... I also add some honey to this with some fresh cinnamon. YUM!